• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Today's Armored thread by Zen reminded me that I've been meaning to get into this series for a while. My hold up is both that I'm not sure where to even start AS WELL as the fact that almost every main game in the series seems to have multiple re-releases and updated versions?? I remember doing research as to, for example, whether to even play AC4 or skip straight to For Answer, but apparently they're not actually the same game? I'm confused and overwhelmed, lend me a hand Era. Availability and age of specific games isn't an issue for me as I own every major system, I just wanna know what's good.

Oct 25, 2017
The series is best thought of as being split into multiple generations kinda like Pokemon, with the numbered entries being the start of each gen and establishing new rules and systems for following entries. The in between titles are treated more as stand alone expansions, where you can technically start with any of them, but they are designed quite heavily with the expectation that you played the numbered title it's based on, because often you can transfer your save data from one game to the other. Credits and AC parts primarily.

So you have 1st gen, consisting of all the PS1 games (AC1, Project Phantasma, and Master of Arena), followed by 2nd starting on PS2 (AC 2 and Another Age), 3rd Gen (AC 3 and Silent Line), 3.5 (Nexus, Nine Breaker, and Last Raven), 4th Gen starting on 360/PS3 (AC4 and For Answer), and finally 5th Gen (AC V and Verdict Day).

Each of the games have their own missions, structure, features, etc that they aren't considered updated rereleases, but rather a new package of content to carry over your data where it is applicable. Because of that, it's honestly best to start from the beginning with the PS1 games. It's simple relative to what a lot of the games later would become, and from beginning all the way to the end of the PS2 the series is extremely incremental in its iterations that prior experience is almost required at a point.

Of course, whether or not you wanna go the whole way and complete every single game like I did is another matter. If I had to narrow down the generations that are must plays, it's 1st, 3rd, and 3.5. That's 3 PS1 games and 5 PS2 games, about more than half of the total mainline games. Maybe check out 2nd and 5th gens if you're curious, the latter is quite different in a lot of respects but well designed in its own right. Only games I'd say to outright stay away from are 4 and For Answer due to being so bleh and unfocused in design.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Each mainline entry is very different playing from others, like AC4 (which by the way was Directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki) has its own distinctive style from AC5, for instance. AC5 is slower and more clunky (the mechs feel heavier) whereas AC4 is very light and features more airborne combat. Just depends what you're after more. The atmosphere in all of them is second to none though. If you love customising mechs this is the best series out there for that, bar none (outside Front Mission).

OP
OP
wondermagenta

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
The series is best thought of as being split into multiple generations kinda like Pokemon, with the numbered entries being the start of each gen and establishing new rules and systems for following entries. The in between titles are treated more as stand alone expansions, where you can technically start with any of them, but they are designed quite heavily with the expectation that you played the numbered title it's based on, because often you can transfer your save data from one game to the other. Credits and AC parts primarily.

So you have 1st gen, consisting of all the PS1 games (AC1, Project Phantasma, and Master of Arena), followed by 2nd starting on PS2 (AC 2 and Another Age), 3rd Gen (AC 3 and Silent Line), 3.5 (Nexus, Nine Breaker, and Last Raven), 4th Gen starting on 360/PS3 (AC4 and For Answer), and finally 5th Gen (AC V and Verdict Day).

Each of the games have their own missions, structure, features, etc that they aren't considered updated rereleases, but rather a new package of content to carry over your data where it is applicable. Because of that, it's honestly best to start from the beginning with the PS1 games. It's simple relative to what a lot of the games later would become, and from beginning all the way to the end of the PS2 the series is extremely incremental in its iterations that prior experience is almost required at a point.

Of course, whether or not you wanna go the whole way and complete every single game like I did is another matter. If I had to narrow down the generations that are must plays, it's 1st, 3rd, and 3.5. That's 3 PS1 games and 5 PS2 games, about more than half of the total mainline games. Maybe check out 2nd and 5th gens if you're curious, the latter is quite different in a lot of respects but well designed in its own right. Only games I'd say to outright stay away from are 4 and For Answer due to being so bleh and unfocused in design.

Thank you for this detailed reply, very helpful! I think I'll just work my way up starting with AC1 then. Can't hurt to give the 360 entries a shot eventually either.

Each mainline entry is very different playing from others, like AC4 (which by the way was Directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki) has its own distinctive style from AC5, for instance. AC5 is slower and more clunky (the mechs feel heavier) whereas AC4 is very light and features more airborne combat. Just depends what you're after more. The atmosphere in all of them is second to none though. If you love customising mechs this is the best series out there for that, bar none (outside Front Mission).

I'm all-in for that mech shit. There's something pretty special about older From Software games.

TraumaHunter

Apr 17, 2018
Honestly. Order doesn't matter too much - they all have their flavors. Some people let nostalgia cloud their judgement. It's my favorite series of all time easily but I'm not going to pretend they can hold up to a modern gaming world.

Just play whatever you can get your hands on. The later ones will definitely be more modern and have a handful more mechanics.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
If I still had my save, I would share my schematics with you for AC:4A.You wouldn't be able to build them right away tho. You had to grind FRS points and parts as well as S rank certain missions... But it would give you an idea of what to build.

I'll never forget the day I got completely embarrassed online vs this Japanese dude. He even gave me his schematics so I could learn what he did under the hood of his mech.

Was my favorite armored core of all time. Landslide.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Pardon this odd bump but I wanted to ask regarding the series and search showed me this thread as one of the results and figured I'd check it first.
One more thing; are there any notable regional differences between JP and US/English releases?

OP
OP
wondermagenta

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Pardon this odd bump but I wanted to ask regarding the series and search showed me this thread as one of the results and figured I'd check it first.
One more thing; are there any notable regional differences between JP and US/English releases?
Looked this thread up again today to refresh my memory on a few things and saw your reply, haha. No content differences as far as I can tell though the JP versions of the 4th gen games seem to have better netcode -- doubt that really matters in 2019 though.