legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been following the El Chapo case recently and I've been thinking about the question of drug use and the morality thereof. Obviously this board is generally pro-legalisation, as is most of the progressive side of politics and would probably classify drug use itself as an amoral action. I don't want this topic to be about the legalisation of drugs because it's a future hypothetical. My question is about the morality of using illegal drugs (so we can probably exclude marijuana from this discussion now although it certain fits historically) knowing that it's very likely that the money you've used to purchase it will fund violence and despicable crimes.

So just to get back to El Chapo, as a summary of his crimes (just from Wiki):

The court alleged that Guzmán used professional assassins to carry out "hundreds of acts of violence, including murders, assaults, kidnappings, assassinations and acts of torture".

They also had evidence that he would pay $5,000 for to get access to 13 year old girls, and you can probably figure out the rest. It's probably a reasonable assumption that this kind of behaviour isn't limited to El Chapo and his cartel.

There's always a lot of discussion around responsible sourcing of goods and a lot of focus on companies that are seen to be running dodgy supply chains. Boycotts happen, pressure is put on to change, etc. Is it enough to just say "We should legalise/de-criminalise drugs because it will hurt cartels" (discussion for a different topic)? Shouldn't it be heavily, heavily discouraged just based on what it's funding?

Oct 25, 2017
Your average drug user isn't thinking about these things - they just want that high.

Same as when a 9 year old gets a cheeseburger from McDonalds. They're not thinking about the abattoir.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can find Weed, Psilocybin, Ecstasy and a few others you can easily find from reputable sources in the US.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My question is about the morality of using illegal drugs (so we can probably exclude marijuana from this discussion now although it certain fits historically) knowing that it's very likely that the money you've used to purchase it will fund violence and despicable crimes.

I mean, I already pay taxes in America so..

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
My own use or someone else's? I feel people are victims of circumstances, so I don't tend to blame them. On personal level, I don't really use anything that might come from organized crime from Russia.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If drugs were legal they wouldnt need to come through these supply chains. People have to deal with this bullshit because of this system that the government created

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a blip compared to all the other terrible shit I've unwillingly been a part of because of what I purchase.
It's harsh to say, but.....I just don't care.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By participatimg in the process to decriminalize and legalize drug use. Marijuana, specifically. And it happened!

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Low paying factory work = being tortured while your family is sold into sexual slavery
People will go through a whole host of rationalizations, false equivalencies, and negotiations to convince themselves that their hobby causing a higher rate of human suffering is normal or only the fault of laws and their demand for it under current legal regimes is not a cause.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
LOL at the false equivalence of purchasing a goods made in China versus the ultra violent/slavery/murderous drug trade of addictive substances.

Just keep buying your drugs while our people die for your pleasure.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I blame the war on drugs and the obession with criminalizing drugs for things escalating this much.

Just decriminalise it all so it can be sourced responsably.

Since weed is legal here in Canada I get great stuff (when I can) and I can trust it's source, it's great.

bad poster

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
My question is about the morality of using illegal drugs (so we can probably exclude marijuana from this discussion now although it certain fits historically) knowing that it's very likely that the money you've used to purchase it will fund violence and despicable crimes.

couldn't you ask the same thing about paying taxes

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh ok, I need education then. Where does the smart phone part supply chain line create child soldiers?

Conflict minerals are mined in Congo where child soldiers are used. The minerals are smuggled into east Africa where they are re-branded and laundered before exporting to Asia. An intermediary then sells the laundered minerals to a factory that uses the cheaply obtained raw materials to underbid their competition and manufacture phones or whatever.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Threads like these always just seem like a thinly veiled excuse to smugly throw shade at people who use drugs, and flaunt some sort of imagined moral superiority.

A better reason to not use certain drugs is that there's fentanyl in everything right now and a lot of people are dieing.

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh ok, I need education then. Where does the smart phone part supply chain line create child soldiers?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/06/ethical-smartphone-conscious-consumption/

Daniel Cooper said:
Devices vary, but your average smartphone may use more than 60 different metals. Many of them are rare earth metals, so-called because they're available in smaller quantities than many other metals, if not genuinely rare.

Often, these substances are found in conflict zones, such as the Democratic Republic of Congo. Both there and in the surrounding region, the proceeds from mining, which often uses child and/or slave labor, have been used to finance its brutal civil war. Since 2014, the US Dodd-Frank Act has stipulated that a company must disclose if its products use materials from conflict zones.

https://bigthink.com/matt-davis/to-make-a-smartphone-lose-your-ethics

Matt Davis said:
However, with a supply chain this large and complex, it is easy to either overlook or ignore the major ethical concerns related to how smartphones are built. For example, 60% of the world's cobalt supply comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), much of it mined by the estimated 40,000 child laborers in that country. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, children in the DRC engage "in the forced mining of gold, tin ore (cassiterite), tantalum ore (coltan), and tungsten ore (wolframite)," and are used "in armed conflict, sometimes as a result of forcible recruitment or abduction by non-state armed groups." Many mines in the DRC are controlled by militias who use children as laborers to fund their activities in the region. The minerals sold by these groups find their way into the smartphones, batteries, and other electrical devices that most of us use on a daily basis.

It is impossible to source a smartphone while safely saying it did not involve the use of slave labor or child soldiers at any point in the supply chain, man.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your average drug user isn't thinking about these things - they just want that high.
5jOkNTH.jpg

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I blame the war on drugs and the obession with criminalizing drugs for things escalating this much.

Just decriminalise it all so it can be sourced responsably.

Since weed is legal here in Canada I get great stuff (when I can) and I can trust it's source, it's great.
100% this. Except I'm in Illinois and my brother has the medicinal card so I can get really great stuff.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Conflict minerals are mined in Congo where child soldiers are used. The minerals are smuggled into east Africa where they are re-branded and laundered before exporting to Asia. An intermediary then sells the laundered minerals to a factory that uses the cheaply obtained raw materials to underbid their competition and manufacture phones or whatever.

I would like to remind the people visiting this video game forum that these conflicts are regularly referred to as "The Playstation Wars"

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Threads like these always just seem like a thinly veiled excuse to smugly throw shade at people who use drugs, and flaunt some sort of imagined moral superiority.

A better reason to not use certain drugs is that there's fentanyl in everything right now and a lot of people are dieing.

Bingo.

Nov 30, 2017
That's why legalization, creating a supply chain funded and overseen by a heavily scrutinized organization, keeping track of adicts and being able to offer help everytime they buy, and marketing against buying illegally, by advertising what people are funding their money with constantly is a better solution than just waisting resources on dirty corrupt enforcement that has shown for a century to do absolutely nothing.

It's time to think outside the box for solutions, not rely on same useless tactics.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

I think like any discussion of where our money ends up, it's a valid topic. It's an especially interesting one here, where talking about a pirated NES rom might catch you a wave of criticism regarding the morality of piracy (and a ban) while discussing your favourite illegal drug generally doesn't result in either.

It's a side to the illegal drug discussion that probably doesn't come up as often as it should. I hear far, far more mentions of the evils of the smartphone industry here than I do about the drug trade.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no ethical consumption in capitalism.
You are not responsible for the entire supply chain, and if you want to have a positive effect, boycotts are a pretty shitty way.
Vote and campaign on enforcing standards instead. Donate to those causes.

Kasai

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I mean, I get my weed from reputable sources.

It just so happens that people get it for me, and there aren't any dispensaries in my state.

Oct 27, 2017
The black market is not caused by immoral behavior, it's caused by a societal fault to recognize that certain behaviors are not eliminated by prohibition. Tax and regulate.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Foxconn in China makes your Playstations. If you give up gaming, phones, and monitors, I'll give up weed OP.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The black market is not caused by immoral behavior, it's caused by a societal fault to recognize that certain behaviors are not eliminated by prohibition. Tax and regulate.
There are still black markets for things that are both taxed and regulated. Hell in the Canadian legalization thread there were people saying the legal stuff was too expensive and would stick with their black market dealers.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there is no ethical consumption under capitalism
This is the most succinct answer, and pretty much covers the broad strokes.

Most drug users aren't aware of the harms caused by the supply chain for drugs, and most don't want to know more than they have to, which is true of the consumption of most goods. Personally you can abstain from consumption of illegal drugs (that's what I choose to do) but you should recognize that the vast majority of illicit drugs are not inherently harmful to produce, and the reason the supply chain creates so much harm is due to the substances being outlawed. That's why most progressives advocate for some manner of legalization or decriminalization, because ultimately the state is responsible for creating a black market.

Also addiction is a disease, and addicts need to be treated. Shaming or punishing them because the goods they consume are developed through harmful methods is ineffective and just causes more harm.