• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I usually create my character...by

• Creating myself in game

Votes: 68 22.4%
  • Creating myself but as the opposite gender

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Recreating a character from another game I really like

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Create a completely unique original character, do not steal.

Votes: 184 60.5%
  • I use preset characters

Votes: 42 13.8%

• Total voters

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
I usually try to create myself normally or opposite gender, but I've grown to like trying to recreate characters from other games.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Might spend a minute or two max looking for something cool, but otherwise I just wanna get in the game.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I make myself when it's a more casual game I like self inserting as—like Animal Crossing.

if it's a story based game or an RPG I'm usually making an original character (or co-opting one of my other characters I've made before). Dragon Age, for example—each game is getting its own character based on the background provided in game.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Where's the option for making an ungodly horrifying looking abomination?

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
I don't like spending a lot of time in character creators. I usually just go with the preset I like most and make some slight changes so it's a little more personal.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm now in the place where I press the random button until I get something I'm ok with.

If the creation engine is nice and simple, then I'll put me in.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I'm so glad I can now vote for the first option (making myself) now that I officially started my transition in real life :)

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
I waste too much time on character creators and I found that a majority of the time I only see the back of their head or they're wearing a helmet the whole game. These days I pick a preset and maybe adjust some minor features.

Oct 26, 2017
I've designed tons of characters outside of games so I use one of those depending on what type of character I want to play as. Sometimes a really good character creator inspires me to create a new one. But generally I have so many to choose from already.

I would never want to play as myself. 1) Seeing myself getting killed in all manner of fun ways, and 2) being completely unrealistic for any reasonable game scenario.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Default with some tweaks. I'm not good enough with these systems to create something I like. Usually devolves into some eldritch abomination.

Apr 3, 2020
I just make anything, a preset model with a little tweaks usually for a contrast purposes.

I do take a well designed silent character and avatar made by the developer over any character creation

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Unique character all the way. I like making multiple characters in stuff like Souls games, of both genders.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
either monstrosity or just a preset because I can't be bothered to sit in the character creation screen for 10 hours

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Make them ugly monstrosities of course. Adds extra flavour

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
If this is supposed to be me (FIFA trainer, Animal Crossing), me. Well, a lookalike because it's too long to do it right, when available.

Otherwise, I click random until I like the output but kept my gender.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Presets with some minor modification usually. Too much effort to make something that doesn't look like ass usually.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how I think the game will present my character

If it's a game like Dark Souls where I will literally spend the entire game with some sort of face obscuring helmet on then fuck it, default.

If it's like Mass Effect where whatever I use will be in cut scenes and talky talks and what not then it is Maximum Face

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I usually try to make something silly looking. turn up all the knobs further than they should go and pick dumb colors

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
5662-l.webp

if I cannot do this then something random. Changes all the time or as many times as the character creator allows me to.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Why is there no option for creating a character from a movie/TV series? I love doing it, but I never wanted to recreate a character from another game.
For example, I love creating Anakin Skywalker, or Obi-Wan Kenobi, or John Sheppard, etc., and roleplaying as them.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Only original characters. I can't really recreate myself in most games anyway, not even in the sims. It just never looks right.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
It depends. Most games I don't even attempt to play as myself, but Sports games, hell yeah. I'm going as close to an idealized version of myself there.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wag my finger at the devs for not designing their own damn character. Why do I have to do the work? Then I spend 5 minutes trying to make someone cool. Then I give up and use a preset.

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021
Not much pattern. My FFXIV character is totally just a unique creation. My Shepard for the Mass Effect remaster is kinda semi-random, semi-bits and pieces of me and my wife (we play together.) My Monster Hunter characters going back several gens are me's (I don't know why.) My animal crossing character is me. The only consist thing is I'm brown so all the above are brown just cause it's not too common (although much more so these days) to not play as a white character so extra fun to do so.

EDIT: Another good example for random, looks nothing like me, was my Dragon Age: Inquisition character which was like a towering qunari who looked nothing like anyone I know. Was just fun to choose the weird option.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
If there's a randomize button, I'll hit that 7 times and go with what I'm given.

Otherwise, I try to create something that looks like me.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I used to pick a preset and maybe adjust one or two values.
I've recently spend a whole day and consulted with numerous friends when I created my FFXIV character.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've talked about this before, but I like to imagine unique characters with their own background, worldview, and personality that informs their motivations, playstyle, choices, and how they interact with the world.

My GreedFall character, for example, was a fundamentalist theist, a true believer, and did some horrific things in the name of her God that I, an atheist humanist, would never ever endorse. But that's the point, I never play as myself, so as far as I'm concerned it's out of my hands.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't create myself but I do have an OC style stand in character that I attempt to make depending on whats available.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
depends on the game, either i go completely default or just slap some full beard on it.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
Unique character all the way baybeeeee.

I remember watching a friend play Fallout 4 and he went with the preset male and I was so disappointed lmao

Tanaka

Oct 27, 2017
I either hit random until I get one that looks alright or I make them as hideous of an abomination as the character creator will allow me.