• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to get into meditation for a little while now, as a means of stress relief, dealing with anxiety, self discipline, stuff like that. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing, how long to do it for, etc. What has your experience with meditation been like? Any resources you used to "learn" how to do it? I know there are apps like headspace, but I don't really want to subscribe to a service for this. Anyways, how do you meditate?

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
OP. go to Audiodhama right now. Find the introduction to mindfulness series. Then take advantage of everything else in that site. Enjoy. All your answers and more are awaiting

Oct 27, 2017
meditation for me is enjoying the mary j while playing guitar

different ways for different people

find what makes you "calm and in peace"

Oct 30, 2017
I sub to headspace. I'd suggest just trying the free pack in headspace, then subbing if you want, or use a free resource.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
I read the book 10% Happier by Dan Harris first. It kind of made me look at meditation in a different way, as Harris takes a more investigative journalism approach to the study. That kind of opened me up to meditation, and I started following the guided meditations in their app. I did end up getting the subscription, which I know you're trying to avoid, but felt like it was worth it to try it out for a year.

I still don't have a complete dedication to the practice. I meditate 4-5 times a week, and it was really frustrating at the beginning, as I was struggling with a lot of the same questions you're posing. I'd like to try and get to at least once a day, and so far this year, I've been a bit better (last year, I was averaging 2-3 time a week, and sometimes letting whole weeks go by without meditating). I guess the moment it "clicked" for me, was one really stressful day at work, I was getting worked up, pacing in frustration, and feeling really anxious. Then I just stopped, became aware of how I was feeling, and slowly calmed down, whereas normally, I probably would have carried the anxiety with me all day or at least most of the day and affected how I approached finding a solution to the problem. I still get caught up, it's not a cure-all, but just being able to catch myself feeling certain ways, when otherwise I wouldn't have, has convinced me it's worth sticking to. It's not fun to do, but feel like I've seen the benefits.

One big thing to keep in mind is that when you become distracted during meditation, that's not failing. The success is realizing when you're distracted and carried away and then coming back to the breath, as you're becoming more mindful of getting lost in thought.

Another app that was recommended to me was Insight Timer. I've downloaded it, but haven't checked it out yet.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I normally spend time mediating in my gym's sauna. I might pay for Headspace soon though.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I was raised Buddhist, so I can't even remember when I was taught to meditate.

I think most people try meditation to get something out of it, though, so I don't think my experiences with it are necessarily what you're looking for. I mean, there are stress relief and self-discipline benefits, but one of the tougher things is getting the benefit without that obfuscating what you're actually supposed to be doing. I think most people confuse meditation with relaxation, which, yes, I think more people should learn how to relax. Meditation helps me relax because I know it does, but I don't know how it'd go if you tried it the other way around.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I normally meditate after exercising. Just calming the mind and imagining drops of water slowly falling into a lake...ocean (?), focusing on that and nothing else.

Skeksis

Oct 28, 2017
I usually sit down with the Enso app on my phone as a timer, which is silent other than a bell chime every few minutes. If, for whatever reason, I don't get around to meditate of a day, I'll perform a laying meditation in bed, and for that, I usually have the sound of rain courtesy of the Tides app. I did start with Headspace, though, and if I ever feel like I need a bit of guided meditation, I don't hesitate to run through their Take 10 course again.