• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Index or middle on trigger?

• Middle

Votes: 65 9.9%
  • Index

Votes: 591 90.1%

• Total voters

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Sitting in a Discord call with my mates and I'm just absolutely blown away. This man really went out and said that he uses his index finger for both bumpers AND triggers and I'm sitting here with my middle fingers on the triggers and index on the bumpers. You know, that makes sense to me and I'm about to call him out before someone else jumps in and says that they do the same thing with their index fingers. This doesn't make sense to me. How do you hold the controller?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Index for both. Never like the claw.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-05-at-09.56.23.jpg

This just looks like a poster for "arthritis 10 years later".

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Never use middle fingers unless it's some crazy control scheme that makes me use both buttons at once.

The OP is going to discover he is the weird one.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
99% of the time, I just use my index fingers for all triggers unless some game requires something different to work the best. Using 4 fingers just feels awkward to me.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Index Fingers on the triggers, feels weird holding any controller in a Claw to me. Unless somehow a game calls for both Middle and Index Fingers to be used on bumper and triggers. I just move the Index between the two(four) buttons

Last edited:

NiteChylde

Oct 28, 2017
Index finger only, unless I'm required to press bumper and trigger simultanously. Middle finger I use for paddles, if at all.

It seems this thread might not be going in the direction you intended, OP. 😂

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Just index fingers. If a game makes me use both then I prefer to use a different controller where I can map one of them to a paddle. I recently did this with Monster Hunter Rise on PC; insect glaive requires using R1 and R2 a lot, so I set the paddle on my Pro2 controller to R1 to give my hands some relief.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
left index
right index
right middle finger

I have to leave the left middle finger behind the controller to help support it.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
My hands must be a little big for the Dualsense because I need to use my middle fingers for the trigger on them. It just feels weird if I don't. On the Xbox controller though, the trigger and bumpers are so distinctly different in size that it's easier to use index on both.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Index on bumpers, middle on triggers resting at all times. All about that efficiency

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Thread backfire!

Also, index for top buttons, middle for my paddles. Even without paddles it's always index for top buttons because how the hell do you not get cramps using index and middle both. It feels unnatural.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Sometimes my middle finger gets called in for backup when required, but most of the time that bastard is just lazing around while my index puts the real work in

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Forget just game controllers, I have a hard time thinking any any scenario where I use any finger besides my thumb and index for any dexterous task. The one big exception is typing. Other than that, my thumb and index finger are used for all tasks, and the rest of my fingers might as well be one conjoined mitten used for grabbing things.

Oct 27, 2017
what the fuck y'all stop i am being gaslit

I do middle on trigger sometimes as well. Depends on the game. For platformjng heavy games (e.g. Hollow Knight) I often map jump and/or attack to a bumper and keep my index on the bumpers so I can attack and jump without moving my right thumb around.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm not using my middle fingers at all when I hold a controller, index for both.
Now, I'll say this, it can be annoying. My hand just rests comfortably with my index finger on the back triggers. So sometimes having to hit the bumpers/L1R1 it can be uncomfortable. I can imagine if you are used to using different fingers for them, that's less movement you need to do with your fingers to hit them and technically that's better.
It's just super uncomfortable.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
OP, what games are you playing that require simultaneously pressing the same-side trigger and bumper at the same time? Because that's the only reason I can think of why somebody would want to hold it that way. And even so, it's just as easy to hit the bumper with the inside if your index finger while using the tips for the trigger.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Index fingers. Unless a game calls for me hitting multiple buttons at the same time, index on shoulders and thumbs for the front. Those four fingers do all of the work.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
100% Index. I regret that my Elite controller died and the Elite 2 has such bad quality control + price increase. I loved having the paddles for when I needed to use trigger and bumper simultaneously. I wish there was an official back button addon for the Dualsense.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
i mean, very few games really need me to press a bumper and trigger on the same side at the same time. if and when that happens, i'll use index for bumper middle for trigger. 99.9% of other times, index baby index

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I use my index fingers. Steam Deck is a bit awkward with this as it's hard to rest my middle fingers below the trigger grooves and comfortably press the bumpers, so I raise my middle fingers in that case.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
OP, what games are you playing that require simultaneously pressing the same-side trigger and bumper at the same time? Because that's the only reason I can think of why somebody would want to hold it that way. And even so, it's just as easy to hit the bumper with the inside if your index finger while using the tips for the trigger.

Racing games for sure. Usually have clutch on one of the bumpers then you have to brake and accelerate. Also some games like Halo 5 almost required it. Dash is on the bumper but you also need to ADS and fire. There are also plenty of other games where it helps. It's often not necessary but it certainly feels more responsive to be able to hit both at the same time.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
RIP OP

I've never encountered a situation where I had to press a shoulder button and trigger on the same side at once. The only exception being when using my custom control scheme for Nero in Devil May Cry because it's the easiest way to charge the gun mid combat.

Mar 4, 2021
Berlin, Germany
Index for both.
Everything else feels wrong regardless of controller.
Therefore only used sparely if I need to hit both at the same time. Otherwise index is going up and down rapidly.