• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you pronounce risotto?

• ri-saw-toh

Votes: 49 8.6%
  • ri-soh-toh

Votes: 522 91.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really hard to express this in english when my native language Turkish provides what feels like a far more accurate pronunciation. I emphasize the t's far more than either option indicates though

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't know whether I ever said the word before watching this episode of Seinfeld, so I just sort of adopted this way of saying it.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
None of the poll options just because the S sounds a bit more like a Z when I say it. So a bit closer to 'ri-zoh-toe'.

OP
OP

Mark

Oct 25, 2017
Reason I asked is that I starting watching some Hell's Kitchen and Gordon Ramsey seemed to be pronouncing it as ri-saw-toh while everyone else was saying it the other way. Is that just a British thing?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Reason I asked is that I starting watching some Hell's Kitchen and Gordon Ramsey seemed to be pronouncing it as ri-saw-toh while everyone else was saying it the other way. Is that just a British thing?

I've always heard it said ri-zoh-toe. Is the second poll option implying that the second and third syllables rhyme? Because I've never heard it pronounced that way (in the English language anyway).

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands

Google Translate

Google's service, offered free of charge, instantly translates words, phrases, and web pages between English and over 100 other languages.

Just click the sound icon on the Italian 'translation'.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I say riz-oh-toe

Who the hell says risawtoh? 😆

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
A4C7.gif

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The poll confused me. I had to go into google translate and listen to English (which I assume is the language here), Swedish (my native language) and Italian (where the word is from). Now I maybe understand the poll and I pronounce it more like Italian than the other options

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
riz-ot-oh

Words adapt to the sounds used in other languages and dialects, so there's really no right or wrong. People get snobby about pronunciation sometimes.