• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
;)

SSF2T_Ryu.gif

Ok this is one where I straight up know I'm saying this in a pretty westernized way and I absolutely refuse to change it for anyone, or any reason.

Since I was a kid, my natural assumption was that his name was pronounced RYE-YOU (like rye bread) or RYE-OO. I've stuck to that since the beginning. I won't ever change it.

I've also heard that company called Ryu in the UFC pronounced as ROO (wtf??). And people have claimed that's correct....

Then finally there's Ree-yoo, which I think sounds...okay. Or I'm just biased, cuz to me it's just Rye-Yoo.

I assume Ree-yoo is closest to how the Japanese would say It?

The pronunciation civil war continues.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
It's just "Ryoo" but for maximum precision the "u" should be pretty short and the "R" should be said with your tongue flicking off the top of your mouth.

Alternate answer: How do you say "sho-RYU-ken"?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere between Ru and Ree-yew.

Kogasu

Oct 25, 2017
It's Ree-yoo for the closest but if you want even more proper pronunciation, it should sound like "Dyu" because you roll your 'R' in Japanese

Oct 26, 2017
ɹəju:

Also please learn the phonetic alphabet. "RYE-YOU" is pretty meaningless when I don't know how you speak/where you're from :P

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I've gone from Rai-You to the more-correct Ree-You (which is still a little off but I'm not going to go full Japanese accent).

Now "Lara" Croft and Mario. THOSE are names worthy of pronunciation threads!

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Ryu in Japanese and parsed back to basic English syllables is "ri-yu-u", so "ree-yoo" slurred into one syllable is technically the proper way to pronounce it, which is how it's been pronounced in-game since even the SNES days IIRC.

I do think that shit like this is one of those things where if you're American you tend to pronounce shit one way and then you watch enough Japanese-voice-English-subbed stuff you pronounce it the other way. Before I watched Naruto and Cardcaptor Sakura I pronounced Sakura as sa-KU-rah and after that I pronounced it as SA-ku-rah. I can't remember an exact example but I do feel like my weeb-ness has resulted in me defaulting to this-would-be-right-in-Japanese-but-this-isn't-a-Japanese-name-so-you're-wrong pronunciations with not-English-but-also-not-Asian names, though.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Americans tend to overdo the "y" and turn it into something it isn't. It's not Reeyoo or Rye-oo. But don't ignore the "y" either.
The three letters flow together and form a single, short syllable. Ryu.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Ryu in Japanese and parsed back to basic English syllables is "ri-yu-u"
No, the second syllable is smaller, which means it isn't a stand-alone syllable but it alters the preceding one. The "ri" becomes a short "ryu", which is then briefly extended with the "u" at the end, but you don't go "ryuuuu", just "ryu" is fine.

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
i only had to hear pronounced correctly one time in the original animated. Went from RY-u to REE-u immediately

crazy that some people still say it the wrong way to this day

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid encountering Hayabusa first I thought it was Rue. Once I was teen and Street Fighter 2 came out I realized it's Ree-you.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Ree-yu.

I'd like to Zidane headbutt anyone who pronounces it "Roo" and I don't care if you think it's correct.

As you can tell, I am extremely passionate about this issue and only this issue.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Ree-yu.

There isn`t any other way to say it. It`s a Japanese name with syllables that are always pronounced the same way. Rye-oo is flat out wrong (and I say this as someone guilty of saying it incorrectly as a kid).

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I pronounce it the same as I pronounce 竜, but now that you mention it, I'm not sure if the pitch accent is the same as 隆. Huh.

Oct 26, 2017
I swear IPA should be mandatory for these threads. It's like that Mario thread on the Voldemort site.
If someone asked you how much you weigh and you said "oh about 1 and a half of my rucksacks when they're nearly full" that would be useless information. But that is essentially what everyone in this thread is doing about sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.