• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i reply: "Bruh....take a look at me. does my pauper face looks like i got money on me? Come to think of it, bruh...spare me a few bucks for my dinner, please?"

OP
OP
abrasivemurk

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I get asked for money all the time from panhandlers.
just politely decline and most of the time they will leave you alone.
I used to do that but today someone followed me and in the most deserted place shouldered me and demanded money as he looked straight into my eyes like he was high. It was a horrible experience.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Some of you really need some help, a lot of the way you way guys claim you would respond would probably end getting you stabbed, shot or arrested.

Also criminals? The fuck, where's the empathy, ERA?

Most homeless people are just trying to get by and are not confrontational, not all of them are drug users either, stop believing all the stereotypes, please.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Criminals? Man fuck this OP. How is this shit allowed to fly on here?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
i reply: "Bruh....take a look at me. does my pauper face looks like i got money on me? Come to think of it, bruh...spare me a few bucks for my dinner, please?"
This has been my stance forever and it always throws them off.

Also OP if you don't know how to fight carry a blade on you, probably even smarter advice is, don't be going to parts of town you know you shouldn't be in.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Why would a homeless follow you into a deserted street and then ask for money?
Because they are homeless possibly hungry and desperate.
They are wrong to tail you like that as its intimidating. but jumping to them being a criminal is a bit much.
if you are worried for your safety then you can carry pepper spray or something like that, tell them to fuck off and if they get aggressive then get the pepper spray out.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Keep that thang on you, take care of your chicken.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
This has been my stance forever and it always throws them off.

Also OP if you don't know how to fight carry a blade on you, probably even smarter advice is, don't be going to parts of town you know you shouldn't be in.

Absolutely do not carry a bladed weapon as a self-defense implement unless you know how to fight with one

And even then you're liable to get hurt badly yourself when it turns out muggers also carry weapons

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm definitely wary of anyone asking me for money or for anything at all in the street. Where I live a common way of robbery is to stop the person, ask to use phone/give money and then either steal the item you take out or proceed to mug the person with the help of nearby accomplices.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I feel like this is not advice anyone should take.
What's that old saying? "The loser of a knife fight dies in the street, the winner dies in the hospital"
But seriously, seems like a massive escalation risk
Idk, I've been carrying a box cutter since I was 16? Sometimes if I want to class it up I have a knife instead. Better than walking around with a gun.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
straight up don't carry a knife on you to fight with. This shit ain't feudal Japan; you'll either die or go to prison for felony assault or murder.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Fucking hell all of the people thinking that starting a fight with a mugger is a smart/viable option. Carrying weapons massively increases your risk of getting killed or injured, and then they'll still rob you.

Yeah, it fucking sucks if you get robbed. But you can replace shit. Getting stabbed in a vital organ is not preferable to losing your phone or whatever cash is in your wallet. Stop buying into some macho fantasy that you can suddenly turn into Batman if you carry a pocket knife on you, or take a few kick boxing classes. That's moronic.

Also, OP: Someone asking you for money, deserted alleyway or not, isn't a mugging or a criminal act. If they demand it, or threaten you in some way, then it is. Homelessness is an epidemic at the moment, and there's a lot of people really struggling, so a few of them might not take the smartest tact when trying to get a bite to eat or a place to sleep. Yeah it sucks that you were intimidated, but labelling them criminals isn't exactly helpful.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
straight up don't carry a knife on you to fight with. This shit ain't feudal Japan; you'll either die or go to prison for felony assault or murder.
That's bullshit, I for example walk around at night with like $3000 worth of camera equipment (Just the camera and the lens combined) in some pretty remote sketchy areas while shooting. If someone tries to steal my shit they are not getting it with out a fight. It's not about it being fuedal Japan it's about protecting what's yours.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
That's bullshit, I for example walk around at night with like $3000 worth of camera equipment (Just the camera and the lens combined) in some pretty remote sketchy areas while shooting. If someone tries to steal my shit they are not getting it with out a fight. It's not about it being fuedal Japan it's about protecting what's yours.
That won't change the fact that you can be charged with murder if accidentally you kill the guy. I would guess getting a lawyer would probably end up more than 3k.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Idk, I've been carrying a box cutter since I was 16? Sometimes if I want to class it up I have a knife instead. Better than walking around with a gun.

The statistics do not really back this stance up. Carrying knives generally increases the likelihood of being assaulted with knives. But it's a personal decision. You'll do what you wanna do.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The statistics do not really back this stance up. Carrying knives generally increases the likelihood of being assaulted with knives. But it's a personal decision. You'll do what you wanna do.
You people live in fear of statistics. Knives, guns, likelihoods. Just live your life.

I'll have a better chance of getting struck by lightning this summer while out shooting than knives and guns I've had around me all my life come out to get me or lead to my death.

It is foolish to be out with out some form of protection. Hell I will turn my tripod into a weapon if I have to. It's heavy and will hurt if I hit someone with it.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
You people live in fear of statistics. Knives, guns, likelihoods. Just live your life.

I'll have a better chance of getting struck by lightning this summer while out shooting than knives and guns I've had around me all my life come out to get me or lead to my death.

It is foolish to be out with out some form of protection. Hell I will turn my tripod into a weapon if I have to. It's heavy and will hurt if I hit someone with it.

This is the same kind of argument gun owners use to have guns in there houses that end up killing their children or injuring themselves by accident than ever actually saving their lives from an intruder (see: statistics).

I'm not saying don't look out for your own well being, but the stance of "everyone should carry a blade to protect themselves" just isn't smart advice.

As I said, you'll do what you want to do. If you feel safer carrying a box cutter you'll carry one. Doesn't make the advice any better, for most people carrying a knife just makes it more likely they'll end up stabbed or hurt.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Hell I will turn my tripod into a weapon if I have to. It's heavy and will hurt if I hit someone with it.

A tripod is not likely to kill someone before they retreat. It's not a deadly weapon. A knife or a gun is. There's very little leeway between striking someone with such weapons and outright killing them. Starting a knife- or gunfight when someone is trying to jack your camera gear is disproportionate and dangerous. If they are brandishing a weapon of their own at you it's a different situation, of course, but I'd still err on the side of don't escalate shit. Get your camera gear insured.

Oct 27, 2017

Why carry weapons though if statistics don't matter?

Our communities don't become safer if we're all carrying weapons. Quite the opposite.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This is the same kind of argument gun owners use to have guns in there houses that end up killing their children or injuring themselves by accident than ever actually saving their lives from an intruder (see: statistics).

I'm not saying don't look out for your own well being, but the stance of "everyone should carry a blade to protect themselves" just isn't smart advice.

As I said, you'll do what you want to do. If you feel safer carrying a box cutter you'll carry one. Doesn't make the advice any better, for most people carrying a knife just makes it more likely they'll end up stabbed or hurt.
We are extremely off topic, i don't know anyone in my inner circle that have been stabbed or shot by gun and they all carry something. I have a much better chance of having a tree falling on me during hurricane season or a wave smashing me into a jetty while our surfing.

as far as what OP is talking about.
If you're walking through high crime areas late at night with no protection the best you could do is walk with some confidence in your step and maybe not walk through that area again.

if it's just a homeless person, idk....throw them a 5? That's not going to hurt anyone either.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I usually just say sorry but I don't have any money and keep walking. But I don't really live in a particularly dangerous area, so that might not work everywhere.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I'm amazed some of you exist in the real world. Tell them to fuck off if they badger you for money.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Do you mean actual criminals like people that threaten to kill/rape you if you don't comply? I've always got pepper spray and a pocket knife on me and I also know how to protect myself if worst comes to the worst, but I'm also a women and I regularly get (groups of) men following/trying to sexually harass me so I can't really go out unprotected in the first place.

Hope you don't mean harmless homeless people/beggars. Sure, some can be a bit intrusive, but I've always got a bunch of loose change on me so if I see someone I usually always give them some change and they're always extremely grateful.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
We are extremely off topic, i don't know anyone in my inner circle that have been stabbed or shot by gun and they all carry something. I have a much better chance of having a tree falling on me during hurricane season or a wave smashing me into a jetty while our surfing.

as far as what OP is talking about.
If you're walking through high crime areas late at night with no protection the best you could do is walk with some confidence in your step and maybe not walk through that area again.

if it's just a homeless person, idk....throw them a 5? That's not going to hurt anyone either.

We are off topic a bit, so I'll leave it there.

But I'm telling you you've got it backwards with this talk about being more likely to be struck by lightning and such. Your anecdotal evidence of your friends doesn't outweigh the evidence.

But basically, don't carry a knife OP as an answer to the original question.

You'll either:

Pull it out as a deterrent, which will either work or drastically escalate the situation leading to a much greater risk of harm;

Use it, which may have particularly dire consequences for you and the (potentially benign) stranger depending on the laws where you live.

Get prosecuted for having i if for whatever reason you're ever patdown. Again YMMV depending on the law where you are.

Avoidance is better than prevention so avoid being alone in these types of places where possible. If it's unavoidable always attempt to de-escalate. Throwing a homeless person a few dollars might be the way to do that. Kindly but firmly saying no you don't have anything for them might be another. It's down to you to judge.

Can always arm yourself with something like personal pepper-spray cans or some other self-defence type kit that isn't an outright deadly weapon if ti makes you feel better, but I'd always advise avoidance above all else.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread is closed due to the dehumanising rhetoric around the homeless in it's framing.

Status
Not open for further replies.