• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Verne is quite easy and enjoyable

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Not going to lie but if I see a Penguin Modern Classic cover on the kindle daily deal I'm more likely to give it a second look compared to other books. Even though I'm like 90% sure the line is really just for reprints of older books they already ave the rights to.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
RedSparrows , and I guess to everyone, would you say Penguin Classics is to books what Criterion is to movies?

I would say it's Norton Critical Editions. Criterion does a great job giving you a great amount of supporting material in addition to the actual work itself, and Norton is the same. After that I'd say New York Review. Penguin Classics is alright but it's more of a gateway to literature than it is a product for the bibliophile.

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up... How have we gone over 50 posts and no one asked Oliver what book has monsters peeing on clergymen (and then subsequently eating them apparently in that order). Did I miss this book? Is there a thread about it? I feel like I'm crazy no one is asking the real questions.
Sorry this slipped away. It's "Rawhead Rex" from Books of Blood Vol. 3 by Clive Barker. It's actually one of the more pedestrian stories but apparently it was popular enough to get turned to a (bad) movie. I was curious about the trailer and I found out the full movie was on Youtube. Someone on the comments timestamped the "R. Kelly moment", their words, not mine.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo peoples' love for Count of Monte Cristo. It's an awesome read that doesn't require too much extra from a modern reader.

For a more niche selection: Lord Dunsany and his material relating to The Gods of Pegana. It's a tough read, but it's interesting to see one of the direct predecessors to Lovecraft's horror writings.

While they were written for children, it was fun to read all of L Frank Baum's works relating to Oz.
I'd also recommend taking a look Baum's novel "The Master Key." Like a lot of turn of the century (1900) sci-fi/speculative fiction, it's interesting what was predicted, how close he came with some things, and how radically off he was with other things.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sorry this slipped away. It's "Rawhead Rex" from Books of Blood Vol. 3 by Clive Barker. It's actually one of the more pedestrian stories but apparently it was popular enough to get turned to a (bad) movie. I was curious about the trailer and I found out the full movie was on Youtube. Someone on the comments timestamped the "R. Kelly moment", their words, not mine.
R. Kelly moment... That could literally be anything. I'll have to find said video