• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you think Backwards Compatibility will be monetized next gen?

• Added Enhancement DLC for a set price (EG 20$ Remaster Patch)

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • Graphical Microtransactions to tailor to personal choice (EG 5$ Resolution,5$ Better lighting etc)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Lootboxes with Graphical improvements for random games across console

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Truly Complete Editions with all the dlc in one 60$ package

Votes: 51 15.0%
  • Free Patches with meaningful improvements

Votes: 188 55.5%
  • Something worse

Votes: 35 10.3%

• Total voters

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Undoubtedly, a lot of money was made on remasters this generation, but with BC confirmed that repeat doesn't seem possible. At first glance at least. That said, I don't see big pubs liking that. They want you to rebuy GTA V again at 40-60$ not a 20$ ps4 copy from Gamestop. So something will be stripped, or gimped, beyond whatever base improvements Sony includes in BC.

I really can't see meaningful improvements being given for free, but maybe I'm just cynical. Thoughts.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think MS will fight back against alot of these, as thier engineers are doing all the work, but I'm not sure Sony/Nintendo will be as "hands-on" and will allow 3rd parties more control, and if they do, like EA, I'm expecting gross profiteering to find its way into BC.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I think the only thing that will gimp BC going forward is how MS handled it - selective titles based on publisher approval. Which kinda sucks, because I just want to put in a disc I own and play it on modern hardware.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Nintendo will have full native BC to keep Switch lifecycle going as long as possible.
Xbox will be the same as before, in addition to full native support for Xbox One titles.
Sony will probably offer full PS4 BC, but I think they might actually skip anything older entirely besides select PS1 emulated titles.

I honestly thought the poll options were a joke because any company that does that will get crucified, and it's almost certainly more technical overhead than it's worth to maintain what are essentially different versions of the game.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think most devs will be happy with the way MS has dealt with it. Minimum effort on their part but the consumer sees an improvement.

Some devs will probably upgrade the graphics, though I would expect that to mostly be FOC as they'll probably use texture files they already have but are too high for current gen systems.

Personally I find the idea of graphical lootboxes or paid for effects laughable and I just don't see that ever happening.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
with the rise of in game monetisation, the publishers wants you to keep on playing with the new consoles, so they will do the patch for free.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only thing that will gimp BC going forward is how MS handled it - selective titles based on publisher approval. Which kinda sucks, because I just want to put in a disc I own and play it on modern hardware.

I think that was a problem because those games were never intended to be backwards compatible so there were probably going to be legal issues if they started making games available on another storefront/hardware without publisher permission. Hopefully that will be less of a problem now that people are thinking about backwards compatibility as something that consumers expect from day one of new systems.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo will have full native BC to keep Switch lifecycle going as long as possible.
Xbox will be the same as before, in addition to full native support for Xbox One titles.
Sony will probably offer full PS4 BC, but I think they might actually skip anything older entirely besides select PS1 emulated titles.

I'm expecting at least 1, 2 & 4. PS4's a given but I think that the PS5 will be able to brute force PS1 & 2 games. PS3's more difficult due to its architecture but they may be able to find a way to run it as software emulation.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I want to be able to pick up a ps2,ps2,ps3, ps4 disk from a charity shop, drop it in the machine and it just works.

But it's never going to happen, is it.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Any worthwhile enchantments like RTX , better lighthing,graphics,tessalation kind of remasters will be still thing and sold for full price

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think most consoles will have ports or emulation for their BC. But Microsoft will make games 60 fps. Remember their BC team if working on BC for Scarlett now. They wouldn't be doing that if they were just doing ports. Plus they have a history of making improvements to older games (ie x enhancements)

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Im fine with comments of "you worrying too much" or "they wont monetize BC" but if you argue that then you might as well explain why you think losing on remaster money wont matter for companies.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I think MS will fight back against alot of these, as thier engineers are doing all the work, but I'm not sure Sony/Nintendo will be as "hands-on" and will allow 3rd parties more control, and if they do, like EA, I'm expecting gross profiteering to find its way into BC.
MS itself also did remasters of 360 games this era.
They will continue on next xbox too.
s-l1000.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Why good guy MS didnt make these for free owners of original games

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Monetizing BC would be some real bullshit.

Guaranteed that even if it happens, somebody will be towing the company line, and defending their reasoning.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Monetizing BC would be some real bullshit.

Guaranteed that even if it happens, somebody will be towing the company line, and defending their reasoning.
Nintendo doing for years are you new to gaming ?
Every gen they sell you same mario nes games and even if you buy in some of their console you will have to buy again in newer console.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I want to be able to pick up a ps2,ps2,ps3, ps4 disk from a charity shop, drop it in the machine and it just works.

But it's never going to happen, is it.
Not when %99 of user base doesnt have working PS2-PS3 disks in their home anyway.
Digital based BC is way to go. Just letting able to play games gens before if you purchased them. And disc based only for previous gen stuff

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
may be naive but i think BC and remasters will 'co-exist' fine. if anything it may put heat on publishers to cool it on halfass "remasters"

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I don't think remasters are a thing of the past, even with backwards compatibility, because a native version will always trump an emulated version. Of course this would only be for your GTA's and Destiny's. The big hitters. The rest will be playable on backwards compatibility, possibly slightly better than on the original platform. I doubt we'll see "compatibility packs" or the like.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Those versions aren't backwards compatible versions.
The originals are BC though, for free if you own them.
This thread is about BC games.

Karan S'jet

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 9, 2019
Sony will most likely be on a game per game basis that developers themselves have to fix. They really don't seem to do system-wide solutions, just look at the PS4 Pro.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Those versions aren't backwards compatible versions.
The originals are BC though, for free if you own them.
This thread is about BC games.
Both are BC enhancements put in to new game box and sold for full price. Literally they are not different from Red Dead Redemption patch they did with Xbox One X.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will reduce the online offering to just Color TV Game.

And Urban Champion.

Nov 1, 2017
I expect both PS5 and XB1 will feature full backwards compatibility with the previous gen, no publisher approval needed. As for systems going further back than that Microsoft may continue to selectively add whatever games they can, Sony might carry on the trend of reselling old games with trophy support. Nintendo i'm not convinced cares enough about it's back catalogue to bother making much of an effort going by the way they are tediously drip-feeding us the bottom of the barrel of their NES output.

s-l1000.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh fuck off. There's a world of difference between the huge amount of effort remaking a game like Gears 1 Ultimate received vs tricking emulation software to run games at higher resolutions with surprisingly great results. Also guess what, they are free if you have Game Pass.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i fully expect sony to fuck bc up. big time. just look at the ps2 classics and compare it to microsofts efforts.
the dream would be, to hook up my ps5 on launch day, sign in with my psn and all of the digital stuff is there. i launch spider-man and it runs at native 4k or god of war in native 4k with solid 60 fps. i bet they will restrict it (at first), to make the games run identical to the ps4pro versions.

i also expect stuff like enhanced patches to cost money going forward (for both plattforms).

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I have little hope for Sony. They've been super disappointing ever since they gimped the PS3.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
That said, I don't see big pubs liking that. They want you to rebuy GTA V again at 40-60$ not a 20$ ps4 copy from Gamestop.
No, they want you to continue to play GTA online, so they will want to be sure that you don't need to buy anything.

Look at PlayStation 4 Pro / Xbox One X. Some games had a patch, some games don't, but everything was free. It will be the same this time.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
you stopped using your ps4 because you cant play old games ?
Purpose of buying ps4 is to play ps4 games. What kind of logic is this

Logic free of corporate shilling - why buy 3rd party or older gen games on PS4 when MS is already good at BC (knowing I can play them next gen) & they perform better on my 1X?

I still used my PS4 for GoW and Spider-Man, but while those games were OK, I don't see a reason to continue to invest in that ecosystem next gen when I will try to pair down from owning every console to just PC/2X/Switch.

Your post history is telling, so I imagine you are approaching this from a very emotional console war standpoint.

Deleted member 26293

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Paid enhancement patches are something i totally expect to see during the first couple of years of the gen, but only for recent titles that were built with this option in mind.

Other than that i don't think much will change. I don't really consider full backwards compatibily -and i won't believe it will happen until i see it- as a roadblock preventing publishers from releasing remastered versions of their games like they are doing now.

Nov 1, 2017
i fully expect sony to fuck bc up. big time. just look at the ps2 classics and compare it to microsofts efforts.
the dream would be, to hook up my ps5 on launch day, sign in with my psn and all of the digital stuff is there. i launch spider-man and it runs at native 4k or god of war in native 4k with solid 60 fps. i bet they will restrict it (at first), to make the games run identical to the ps4pro versions.

i also expect stuff like enhanced patches to cost money going forward (for both plattforms).

I fully believe that your catalogue will transfer over just fine, i don't see how Sony can fuck up PS4 BC that badly unless they go out of their way to do so. I expect the games will run exactly the same as they did on PS4 though, other than loading times being decreased. Same for Microsoft, cause they aren't emulating the previous gen in the "traditional" sense. Microsoft might be able to pull something clever out of the bag but if full compatibility is the goal (which seems to be the case for both of them) then having older games play the same way without enhancements seems like the most realistic way to achieve this.

Besides, all games that are currently still big will no doubt get native ports to the new consoles. I will eat my non-existent hat if there isn't a native version of Fortnite ready to go at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I've been saying this for years but i guarantee Sony will fuck this up somehow.

they make so michy money charging for various BC options now aswell as anti consumer practises like no ps1 support on ps4 so people can;t play their bought ps classics for free

i suspect a nintendo like upgrade fee - when they went from wii to wii u

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I fully believe that your catalogue will transfer over just fine, i don't see how Sony can fuck up PS4 BC that badly unless they go out of their way to do so. I expect the games will run exactly the same as they did on PS4 though, other than loading times being decreased. Same for Microsoft, cause they aren't emulating the previous gen in the "traditional" sense. Microsoft might be able to pull something clever out of the bag but if full compatibility is the goal (which seems to be the case for both of them) then having older games play the same way without enhancements seems like the most realistic way to achieve this.

Besides, all games that are currently still big will no doubt get native ports to the new consoles. I will eat my non-existent hat if there isn't a native version of Fortnite ready to go at launch.
i think sony will start with a very limited game line-up, not all ps4 games will work at launch. i also dont see games like driveclub working on ps5. only very few titles will receive free updates/enhancements (like fortnite), most of them will cost money or will be tied to a pre-order bonus ("pre-order god of war 2 and receive the enhanced graphics update for free!").

i fully expect microsoft to have everything available on day 1 (well, the stuff that is on x1) and also some improvements for 360 games (maybe a new filter or better upscaling, since sub-720p games already look like ass).

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Sony at least to mandate a "one game sku" rule where if you make a PS4 version you cant release a separate PS5 version, and if devs want to take advantage of PS5 power but still release a PS4 version, they have to just add a free "enhancement patch" to the PS4 version. It would grow confidence in the platform and not have people skipping PS4 games because they are waiting for PS5 skus of the same game

i think sony will start with a very limited game line-up, not all ps4 games will work at launch. i also dont see games like driveclub working on ps5. only very few titles will receive free updates/enhancements (like fortnite), most of them will cost money or will be tied to a pre-order bonus ("pre-order god of war 2 and receive the enhanced graphics update for free!").

Yeah literally none of this will happen

KingFox

May 17, 2018
As someone who possibly for the first time is going to skip out on a PS console gen, I really hope that Sony will handle BC like we see with the X1 now. Where I can just put in a PS4 disc and play it with added benefits. It's why I have been buying games in sales lately. And please let there be PS2/3 support.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there is going to be some monetization involved. Maybe a one time charge of a buck per game or something.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I voted "free patches with meaningful improvements", not because I think they will be common, but because it's the only option I see happening at all. I don't think publishers will be able to opt out of system-provided BC with the previous generation, as long as no changes to the game code is needed (which seems possible).

On the PS5, I expect it to work much the same way as the BC in the PS4 Pro - very good unenhanced compatibility provided by the system for all PS4 games, optional boost mode that provides moderate enhancements due to higher CPU/GPU clocks and faster storage, but no game-specific enhancements and with theoretical compatibility issues due to timing differences. With the HW on its own providing less compatibility than the PS4 Pro did, some game-specific workarounds may be required under the hood. Some obscure games might require but not get those, so overall compatibility may be somewhat less than 100%.

Publishers could still publish remasters that provide more enhancements than boost mode, including higher-resolution assets, re-baked for the enhanced engine, etc. And of course do full QA to detect and fix timing issues potentially existing with boost mode. Such remasters would be full-sized, not require the original game, and therefore not be perceived as "paying for BC" by reasonable people. Remasters would sell less because of competition with the BC version, but for people not already owning the game, I suspect many would pay up for the best version. (And mysteriously, heavy discounts for the digital PS4 version would no longer be a thing, so less competition on that front.)

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah no, publishers will make you buy the same games yet again, 4k edition baby

if they didnt you'd have the largest games drought ever

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what's likely to happen.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I voted "free patches with meaningful improvements", not because I think they will be common, but because it's the only option I see happening at all. I don't think publishers will be able to opt out of system-provided BC with the previous generation, as long as no changes to the game code is needed (which seems possible).

On the PS5, I expect it to work much the same way as the BC in the PS4 Pro - very good unenhanced compatibility provided by the system for all PS4 games, optional boost mode that provides moderate enhancements due to higher CPU/GPU clocks and faster storage, but no game-specific enhancements and with theoretical compatibility issues due to timing differences. With the HW on its own providing less compatibility than the PS4 Pro did, some game-specific workarounds may be required under the hood. Some obscure games might require but not get those, so overall compatibility may be somewhat less than 100%.

Publishers could still publish remasters that provide more enhancements than boost mode, including higher-resolution assets, re-baked for the enhanced engine, etc. And of course do full QA to detect and fix timing issues potentially existing with boost mode. Such remasters would be full-sized, not require the original game, and therefore not be perceived as "paying for BC" by reasonable people. Remasters would sell less because of competition with the BC version, but for people not already owning the game, I suspect many would pay up for the best version. (And mysteriously, heavy discounts for the digital PS4 version would no longer be a thing, so less competition on that front.)

I dont think people will stand for those type of remasters, honestly. If the PS4 version already works out of the box on PS5, and the devs can still get in the original game code to make a remaster, why wouldnt they just add support for the new hardware to the existing game? Most of the dev effort behind current Remasters is getting the game to actually run on new hardware. If that's not the case, and the enhancements just end up being a res bump, faster loading and maybe framerate unlock... how is that worth money? Nobody paid a dime for PS4 Pro enhancements, it should be the same here