• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I think both GF and Nintendo are more than aware that there is a big part of the fanbase who only care about the Gen 1 Pokemon. While GF have hinted that they are going to make more traditional Pokemon games this time around with new Pokemon, they have to consider the fact that they have to attract the Gen 1 fans in some new way. I´m pretty sure that they have a concern that the Let´s Go Pikachu and Eevee will seem ¨good enough¨ to a lot those consumers and they will pass on the next set of games that are more focused on new Pokemon and a new region.

Gen 6 gave us Mega evolutions, Gen 7 then brought regional variants of Gen 1 Pokemon, so what do you imagine Gen 8 will bring for the original 151?

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they probably won't. they made Let's Go so they'll probably do regional variants of none gen-1 pokemon

also, that portion that only cares about Gen 1 isn't that big. Let's Go proves that people will buy Pokemon because it's Pokemon, not because it's Gen 1

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hopefully they'll let the franchise stand on its own this time instead of using nostalgia as a crutch.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
they probably won't. they made Let's Go so they'll probably do regional variants of none gen-1 pokemon

also, that portion that only cares about Gen 1 isn't that big. Let's Go proves that people will buy Pokemon because it's Pokemon, not because it's Gen 1

Sorry but that makes no sense at all lol. I mean Lets Go is nothing but Gen 1...

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hope they don't. They just released Pokemon Let's Go, please no more pandering.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018

Yeah, I feel like given how they actually wanted Let's Go to be a sub-series, they'll put the whole nostalgia shtick in LG and leave the more "risky" ideas to the classic, mainline games. Not that there's anything wrong with it, in fact, considering I loved LGPE and it might mean that Gen8 might be a breath of fresh air, this could be the best that could happen to the series if done right.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because if there's one group of people that hasn't gotten any attention in the past few games, it's gen 1 fans.

They won't take anything that isn't Red and Blue 2 at this point. Screw em.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
There's so many generations that grew up on other Pokémon generations at this point. I don't see why there's a need to pander just to Gen 1. Pokémon Sun didn't have to do anything to pander to me, but they still gave me Alolan Raichu which I didn't know I needed in my life.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
They hopefully won't. Gens 6 and 7 fucked with that far too much, and Let's Go is a thing that exists from just a couple of months ago. If they do, burn it all to the ground its not worth it anymore. Even detective pikachu which is causing all kinds of disproportionate Gen 1 nostalgia is treating the later generations with respect.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Hopefully they don't. let a new gen stand on its own without catering to people who only care about 1-2/8ths of this franchise

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they didn't, but I'm sure some Gen I Pokémon will get new forms similar to Mega Evolutions and Alolan forms.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There will undoubtedly be some new forms for nostalgia's sake. Honestly? Hoping just more Regional variants.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
No matter what they do, some will complain.
I'm also not that sure if GameFreak is actually aware of what some old fans that don't play Pokémon anymore can say on the internet about the design, when kids and most adult fans just keep liking Pokémons' design and buying merch because they are indeed great designs.
And if they know, I think they just don't give a fuck and they are right.
No matter what you do, some people will dislike, that's called art, tastes and opinions.

Like you said, we had alolan forms, Let's Go Pikachu, it's time to move on.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They'll pull a gen 6 and give you the gen 1 starters straight after that gens starters, they'll have Mewtwo and the 3 birds as postgame legendaries and Gen 1 Pokemon will comprise of a large majority of the pokedex.

You'd hope they'd have their gen 1 pandering out of the way with gen 6, gen 7 and Let's Go but I bet they are going to go even harder on it to appeal to those "brought back" to the series through Go and the Let's Go games

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
How is this bait? The last two Gens of Pokemon have done this and have seen some great results. Theres no way they wont focus on Gen 1 in some capacity with a resurgence of lapsed players who recently got back into the series
These great results would happen with or without the pandering i think. It's Pokemon people, if the appeal was only in the gen 1 stuff the series would have died ages ago.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but that makes no sense at all lol. I mean Lets Go is nothing but Gen 1...
my point is it sold as well as a new game (in the west). there are more people who haven't played gen 1 than have, so LG sold mainly to people new to pokemon or haven't played Gen 1. it's selling point was that it was a new experience to many people

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah they're definitely going to pander somehow, we'll see, maybe more regional variants (good)

I wish we would get a new Pokemon Black/White, and save the old pokemon for post-game. Anyways could always go back and play those entries

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They'll pull a gen 6 and give you the gen 1 starters straight after that gens starters, they'll have Mewtwo and the 3 birds as postgame legendaries and Gen 1 Pokemon will comprise of a large majority of the pokedex.

You'd hope they'd have their gen 1 pandering out of the way with gen 6, gen 7 and Let's Go but I bet they are going to go even harder on it to appeal to those "brought back" to the series through Go and the Let's Go games
This, sadly, it's the most likely scenario.
I hope I'm wrong tho, I would love to see they pulling another Gen 5, but in a Black/Wihte 2 way.

Nov 14, 2017
Preferably they won't, but if they have to, I can see some new branch evolutions or regional variants being added.

It'd be better if some Gen 1s got more stat boosts or new moves to make them more viable rather than just making "better" versions of them, which is what Alola forms felt like.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How is this bait? The last two Gens of Pokemon have done this and have seen some great results. Theres no way they wont focus on Gen 1 in some capacity with a resurgence of lapsed players who recently got back into the series
If you consider "great results" as pissing off loads of the fanbase sure

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe, but there is an even bigger portion that only cares about Gen 1 and Gen 2.

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
Let's Go was most certainly meant to be the appeal for new//young players, Go players, and Gen 1 fans. Gen 8 doesn't need the pandering now, and if it is implemented then TPC definitely made a huge and annoying mistake.

Oct 25, 2017
God, you'd think this fanbase was composed of middle children. This is all y'all ever go in about. Next thread, just post "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" and it'll be the exact same.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to say. They could see how well the combination of Gen 1 pandering plus minimum effort went in LGPE and decide there's no reason to lighten up on it.

The days of Gen 4/5 tier games are over. GameFreak simply doesn't have that level of ambition anymore. The saying "the more you like Pokémon, the more you hate GameFreak" has never been so true.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
They'll find some way to pander, they always do. At the very least, a good chunk of the Kanto roster will be in the regional Dex.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm one of those people who likes the first 3 gens best, was 7 years old when it came out and I was hooked day one. So maybe I'm a "genwunner" or whatever, but I just really like those designs best. I don't really need to be pandered to though, if they are there I'm happy, if not, shit happens, as long as I like the new designs that is.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think both GF and Nintendo are more than aware that there is a big part of the fanbase who only care about the Gen 1 Pokemon. While GF have hinted that they are going to make more traditional Pokemon games this time around with new Pokemon, they have to consider the fact that they have to attract the Gen 1 fans in some new way. I´m pretty sure that they have a concern that the Let´s Go Pikachu and Eevee will seem ¨good enough¨ to a lot those consumers and they will pass on the next set of games that are more focused on new Pokemon and a new region.
I expect some tweaked version of Mega Evolutions with a different name. Gamefreak just seems to really like the idea of power up forms and even continued it in Sun & Moon, although this time mostly for new Pokemon and in a case by case basis, without an universal system.

Aside from that though, I really think if they could finally create a large 3d world with free camera (it doesn't even need to be actual open world) they'd automatically score tons of points with people who got into Pokemon through the anime.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Devils advocate, but gen 1 pandering brought a lot of lapsed fans into both x/y and sun/moon after black/white. Heck, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, and Eevee have pretty much always been the face of the franchise. There's definitely going to be some form of it in the next game.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Anything new will work after playing Let's go I am tired of the old formula.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Make me 8 years old again. I've grown out of pokemon. I'm assuming those that stopped at gen 1/2 did too. They're better off appealing to the current fanbase or reaching a new one

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it just being Pokemon enough? I feel like we've had so much gen 1 pandering since gen 6 and its been kind of run into the ground at this point honestly at least for me.

Really hope they pull another Black and White and have only new Pokemon appear.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The last two Gens of Pokemon have done this and have seen some great results.

The last two gens of Pokémon were also the worst two gens of Pokémon.

The best generation was Gen 5, which was bold enough to release a mainline game without Pikachu or Eevee. It cannot be overstated how crazy that was. But the backlash from Gen 1 fans (muh ice cream) probably scared them from doing that ever again.