• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said they were the only ones, but they have relied on Gen 1 love for years now and its only made the franchise increase in popularity.
there's better correlation to other events than the inclusion of Gen 1 stuff.
  1. XY - first new pokemon on new hardware, which is always the best selling on said hardware
  2. SM - riding the hype of Pokemon Go
You can't be serious.
pokemon's appeal doesn't come from gen wars. it goes from the gameplay and the pokemon themselves. if GF didn't pander so much in XY and SM, the sales wouldn't change all that much, I theorize

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
there's better correlation to other events than the inclusion of Gen 1 stuff.
  1. XY - first new pokemon on new hardware, which is always the best selling on said hardware
  2. SM - riding the hype of Pokemon Go

pokemon's appeal doesn't come from gen wars. it goes from the gameplay and the pokemon themselves. if GF didn't pander so much in XY and SM, the sales wouldn't change all that much, I theorize
But why do they do it then, regardless if they're mistaken in doing so, they still do it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said they were the only ones, but they have relied on Gen 1 love for years now and its only made the franchise increase in popularity.

You are forgetting Pokemon Go being what connects the whole ¨GBC -> Pokemon Go -> Switch¨ consumers.

We can argue this on a forum, but Gamefreak´s actions speak volumes of how important Gen 1 focus is for them when it comes to selling their products.

The problem with this statement is that how in places the people on this forum in such a high pedestal it's embarrasing. "Oh it's only because of me and MY generation that these games are popular, ergo Pokemon should cater to me alone and fuck all those kids/teens/adults who grew up in later generations, they probably don't exist compared to me, the ORIGINAL fan!" It's the same damn attitude that comic book fans had that led to the crash. "I'm the most important so as long as they cater to me and only me, nothing will be wrong!" There are young children becoming adults who grew up in the 4th generation. Where are their nostalgia points? Do they not deserve them?

Feb 24, 2018
If they do anything with the Gen 1 Pokemon, I hope Wigglytuff gets something since they've suffered the same fate Raichu did before Gen VII

Also the Oddish line if only because their my fav line of Pokemon (Bellossom forever).

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get some gen V pandering. Matter of fact just make a gen 8 like gen V and put all the oldies in the post game. Ah what a bold and exciting move. Underrated gen

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Gamefreak is soooooooooooooooooo worried about a bunch of 30 year olds who refuse to acknowledge the fact that the series is for kids and that they aren't the main demographic and haven't been in a very long time. I grew up with gen 1 and love many of the pokemon but the less attention gen 1 gets the better.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The Gen 1 people wont really give a shit about anything that isn't Gen 1 so nothing lol. You'll get some regional variants and such but it wont be anything drastic.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
Much like others have said, I'd sincerely hope they cut back on the Gen 1 pandering this time around. LGPE just released, which were basically made to pander to that demographic. I feel like adding in the nostalgia stuff kinda hurts the credibility of any newer designs - it makes it look like they have no faith in their new creations, so they just fall back on older stuff that's already been tried and tested. Gen 5 was, in my opinion, the best Pokemon has ever been, and I'd argue the willingness to not cling on to previous successes is part of the reason why.

Also, you say a big part of of the fanbase only cares about Gen 1, but I'd argue that if they only care about 1 out of 8 of the gens so far, they perhaps don't quite count as part of the core fanbase.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hopefully not, I love Gen 1 but I want them to give it a rest and do a Gen 5 kinda thing. New Region variants of the other Gens would be cool though like how they did Alolan Gen 1 Pokemon.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a significant number of Switch owners or potential Switch owners who haven't touched a Nintendo handheld since the GBC (or if they did ever use a DS it was only for HGSS).

Plus if Gen 8 is a true full 3D RPG like it should be it's something Gen1/2 fans have wanted since we first saw 3D battles in the Stadium games.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a significant number of Switch owners or potential Switch owners who haven't touched a Nintendo handheld since the GBC (or if they did ever use a DS it was only for HGSS).

Plus if Gen 8 is a true full 3D RPG like it should be it's something Gen1/2 fans have wanted since we first saw 3D battles in the Stadium games.

Well, good news! There's a video game designed specifically for them!

Pokemon-Lets-Go-Rare-Pokemon.jpg

What, do you want the original 151 only in ANOTHER pokemon game a year after we literally had Kanto 2.0?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's not a feeling limited to people who played Gen 1/2. even the GCN games have better presentations than the current games

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
I think giving the option of having a Gen. I "starter" along with your new Gen. starter was a good idea. I don't use any starter but I know the gen-oners eat that shit up

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
To me, the big sign of a bad trend when it comes to excessive pandering to gen 1 fans is not the XY megas or the Alolan forms (that was fine, in fact I liked it), or even the Let's Go games (though those are pretty excessive). It's the fact that there's so many spin-off games, some on the older/newer systems and some on mobile, and yet none of them have ever been developed directly by Game Freak -- until now.

Pokemon Quest, starring exclusively Gen 1 mons only. With the chance for making something unique in this spinoff, Game Freak decided to ignore six generations of creatures, 650 of them, to only go with the first ones. And considering they went on to make Let's Go shortly after, makes this a baffling and worrying trend.

These sort of forum topics don't help either.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Man, I'm still not over cross gen evos not being a thing in Let's Go, despite mega evos and alolan forms getting in. Even the most stubborn of gen 1 lovers must've been confused by that decision right? Did any of them prefer mega evos in a gen 1 nostalgia game over something like Crobat?

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they fucking bin all of the original 151 and fuck off with the Genwunner pandering.

Ever since X/Y it has been fucking incessant! I don't want to see another bloody Pikachu or a Pidgey again!!

Dream scenario: They pull a Gen 5 and go for another soft reboot. That was the best game in the series by far! This time they follow in its footsteps without falling flat on their face, like they did with X/Y.

Alternative Dream Scenario: They pull a Gen 4 and make it truly a grand culmination of ALL of the games in the series. Not just fucking Gen 1!!!

Likely scenario/Nightmare scenario: They turn Pokemon into a bad BOTW clone and fill it with nothing but Gen 1 Pokemon and endless Genwunner pandering.

Game Freak have a LOT to prove to win me back. The series has been in absolute tailspin ever since X/Y (outside of its battle mechanics. Mega Evolution was an excellent addition to the series!) and it's now the worst it has ever been; it barely resembles Pokemon at all right now...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying it should be a remake but I don't want Gen1/2 Pokemon locked off to the endgame. I'd want to be able to get a Pikachu/Charmander/etc pretty quickly.
Charmander is a starter. Why should it get special treatment over Torchick?

And if there's any Pokémon you don't have to worry about showing up it's Pikachu.

Black and White is the only time they'd try something as cool as locking him to post game and thanks to a bunch of whiners we can be sure it'll never happen again.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how the people who complain about gen1/2 fans end up being the super elitist and salty ones.