• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Brady Bunch is like...early 1970's. Why would a person born in 1991 have that show memorized? Even when I started watching tv on a regular basis the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Full House overtook that show on Nick at Night.
Its one of the most famous TV lines ever and also one of the reasons we were to middle children the way we do. Born in the 90s, never watched an episode. Don't have to memorize shit.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Personally speaking, my beef with gen 4 is that those gen 1 evolution designs SUCKED, stat boosts were needed tho. And then I just don't like a lot of Gen 5's designs. But White 2 is my favorite game so we're cool.

I just don't care about Gen inclusion at this point. When you can access all gens anyway in the main series. I didn't care for Let's Go, I didn't buy Let's Go.

Seems more productive to request things like hard mode. More end game content. Bringing back PSS. Better AI. Rematches with gym leaders and so on.
I largely agree with you. I'm just saying, the lack of the evolutions in Let's Go was largely a mistake, in my eyes, and absolutely shows that Game Freak treats the first 151 different from the rest, to the detriment of the games.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
The last two gens of Pokémon were also the worst two gens of Pokémon.

The best generation was Gen 5, which was bold enough to release a mainline game without Pikachu or Eevee. It cannot be overstated how crazy that was. But the backlash from Gen 1 fans (muh ice cream) probably scared them from doing that ever again.
Pokemon feels like a band and each generation feels like an album. Even if a band of mine released five okay to good to fantastic albums before they fell off, they'll be favorites of mine.

Shame after how good Gen 5 was 6 fucking fell flat on its face.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
DS era was basically the only one with no gen 1 pandering, it was mostly gen 2 pandering and even the kanto we got was the gen 2 one, all the other consoles had focus on gen 1 in a big way

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its one of the most famous TV lines ever and also one of the reasons we were to middle children the way we do. Born in the 90s, never watched an episode. Don't have to memorize shit.

Oooooooooooookaaaaaaaay....not realizing why my lack of understanding American Pop Culture is being used as an insult here. I've never heard of that, apparently this makes it ok to mock me for it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are weirdly insistent with a dumb TV show quote.

If you want to insult someone why not just do so instead of hoping they'll understand what you're going for with an out of context to show quote they might not have heard of?

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Probably because you said "generation one fans aren't even fans!!!"

Give me a break.
Because you have some people on the internet who act like the only games they ever enjoyed playing were the Gen 1 games, and the idea that one can still be a fan of the series despite not liking any of the games released in the last 20 years doesn't sit right with some people.

Oct 25, 2017
You are weirdly insistent with a dumb TV show quote.

If you want to insult someone why not just do so instead of hoping they'll understand what you're going for with an out of context to show quote they might not have heard of?
Not everything is an attack on you. Not everything is about you. How many different ways do I have to say that? Fuck. Offer a solution that's not "cater to me and not them". I cannot possibly make that any clearer.

Oct 25, 2017
The last two gens of Pokémon were also the worst two gens of Pokémon.

The best generation was Gen 5, which was bold enough to release a mainline game without Pikachu or Eevee. It cannot be overstated how crazy that was. But the backlash from Gen 1 fans (muh ice cream) probably scared them from doing that ever again.
Sure, but good designs needed to go in their place. You can be bold, but the product you're putting in place of the old needs to live up to it, gen 5 is the only gen that failed to do that and that was the one gen that put everything up front. 6 and 7 could've done the exact same thing and not get that criticism.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Sure, but good designs needed to go in their place. You can be bold, but the product you're putting in place of the old needs to live up to it, gen 5 is the only gen that failed to do that and that was the one gen that put everything up front. 6 and 7 could've done the exact same thing and not get that criticism.
I think you underestimate how much people didn't approve of Gen 5 only having new Pokemon, any generation that did that would have had a ton of backlash, regardless of the quality of the designs.

Oct 25, 2017
Man it's a shame no one told Gen 1 fans this.

Or that I wasn't asking them to do that in the first place.

You need to relax dude. You're getting mad at people not hearing of a TV show.
Quoting no one.
Continuing to act like a child.
Putting words in my mouth. Tell me more about how I'm upset people didn't know of a show I never watched myself.

Par for the course.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
To all the people asking for Gen 2 pandering: wha? 19/100 of that gens pkmn were directly related to Gen 1 'mon. 6 of the remaining 81 are legendaries/mythical so you're not likely to be stomping around much of the game with those. 1 of the now remaining 80 at is Unown lol. An at least a handful of the 79 left are frequently mistaken for/misremembered as Gen 3 pkmn O.o Then theres 8 which're obsoleted by their Gen 4 evo's leaving ya with a whopping 66 pkmn to work with! I dun think this'd work out the way you want! I know doofy old Stantler getting recognition period is the dream for some but its prolly not happening.

The colors selected for the gen 8 games will be a variation of red and blue
To be fair thats what they've always done.

blue:
lugia/blue sea
kyogre/sapphire
dialga/diamond
zekrom blue-electric
xerneas/blue X
blue moon

red:
ho-oh/red sky
groudon/ruby
palkia/umm pinks close to red!
reshiram red-fire
yveltal/red Y
red sun

Honestly, I would. An actual FRLG remake with all the traditional mechanics in place would be an easy sell.
FRLG were bad, bland, featureless games back when they were new. Do ya really think a proper do-over'd make 'em good?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quoting no one.
Putting words in my mouth.

Par for the course.
So you missed all the "GF should get rid of everything after Gen 1 threads?" Or the "all Pokémon after Gen 1 suck" threads?

How am I acting like a child? You're acting indignant that people date have a different t opinion then you.

And I don't know you seem pretty nettled here.
But hey just keep insulting others who disagree with you if it makes you feel better.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I would certainly prefer all new Pokemon to get the focus and any previous gen representation to be balanced. It feels like 1/7th (soon to be 1/8th) of the generations gets 50%+ of the screen time.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting no one.
Putting words in my mouth. Tell me more about how I'm upset people didn't know of a show I never watched myself.

Par for the course.

I mean, you're the one who got worked over the fact that I was unable to identify a tv show quote with no context.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If anything st this point they should be pandering go gen 3 fans since people who were young when those games came out are in there twenties now.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
They've been banking on Gen 1 nostalgia since 2013. It'd be nice if Gamefreak can have enough confidence in Gen 8 to forgo the use Gen 1 as easy marketing. X/Y and SuMo lack identity when new interesting mechanics are either biased towards Gen 1 or exclusive to it. Unfortunately, I don't think Gamefreak or TPC believes they can sell Pokémon without using the og 151 anymore.

It's isn't that they don't believe in it. It's that they don't want to deal with the intense mockery, backlash and complaining Genwunners lobbed at Gen 5 for having the hall to only have the new Pokemon playable until end game. That game-like all Pokemon games made bank, but it was horrible being a Gen 5 fan.

Ask people want they remember about Gen 5 off the bat and the first thing that comes to mind are people still saying it's shit because of the same 4 meme Pokemon out of a batch 100+ new mons. The only thing Gen 5 will be remembered for on the surface is the Icecream Cone/Trash bag Pokemon and being tjrast pixel based mainline games. Thanks Genwunners for successfully making GF averse to even acknowledging the games existence. Since Gen 5 all we get as nods of reference is Grimsley mini cameo in USUM and Chandelure existing in Pokken because it's stupidly popular in Japan.
Gen 1 Stan's have effectively made it so that GF will ONLY make nods to them. Fuck you if you were a fan or grew up with any gen past 3

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
In an ideal world, the 151 Pokémon would be left out of Gen 8's Pokédex.

In reality, the second biggest amount of Pokémon will be Kanto Pokémon, and your first wild encounter will be a Rattata and Pidgey.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 5 has a ton of really strong designs. The problem is the starters are the worst in the series and the most of the legendary Pokémon look even worse. On the other hand the common Pokémon are fantastic. Golurk, Chandelure, Mienshao, Scrafty, Excadrill, Hydreigon, Sawsbuck, Reuniclus and dozens of other look just as good as any design from other generations.

It's isn't that they don't believe in it. It's that they don't want to deal with the intense mockery, backlash and complaining Genwunners lobbed at Gen 5 for having the hall to only have the new Pokemon playable until end game. That game-like all Pokemon games made bank, but it was horrible being a Gen 5 fan.

Ask people want they remember about Gen 5 off the bat and the first thing that comes to mind are people still saying it's shit because of the same 4 meme Pokemon out of a batch 100+ new mons. The only thing Gen 5 will be remembered for on the surface is the Icecream Cone/Trash bag Pokemon and being tjrast pixel based mainline games. Thanks Genwunners for successfully making GF averse to even acknowledging the games existence. Since Gen 5 all we get as nods of reference is Grimsley mini cameo in USUM and Chandelure existing in Pokken because it's stupidly popular in Japan.
Gen 1 Stan's have effectively made it so that GF will ONLY make nods to them. Fuck you if you were a fan or grew up with any gen past 3
I don't think TPC or Gamefreak are searching through video game forums or YouTube comments sections to make major decisions around the franchise. They probably just see that Gen 5 sold the least amount of copies in the series and have worked from there. It is a shame though, especially since gen 5 are the games in the series.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember Gen 5 getting this much love when it came out. It might just barely edge out Gen 4 for me, but only if you include BW2 with challenge mode.

Pokemon-wise Gen 4 is better.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't be a Pokémon thread on era without shitting on gen 1. Y'all whine about gen 1 pandering more than genwunners whine about new Pokémon.

Folks are going to be so mad when gen 8 drops and gen 1 gets some other mechanic that is skewed heavily (or entirely) towards those Pokémon. And y'all will buy it anyway

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be a Pokémon thread on era without shitting on gen 1. Y'all whine about gen 1 pandering more than genwunners whine about new Pokémon.

Folks are going to be so mad when gen 8 drops and gen 1 gets some other mechanic that is skewed heavily (or entirely) towards those Pokémon. And y'all will buy it anyway
I mean, yea. Unlike Genwunners, people who complain about the pandering actually like Pokemon as a series. People are just tired of the focus of it being entirely on Gen 1 when there's 20 years of Pokemon not getting the time of day

As for your first part, thats obvious considering the number of new Pokemon each new gen has been shrinking along with the new Pokedexs having a ton of Gen 1 Pokemon in them

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Ehhh, i don't think there's any need to pander to gen 1 fans besides having a few pokémon in there. People who liked gen 1 are probably more interested in Let's Go than any new game.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And I ask again why would Genwunners complain when there the ones being catered to?

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Gen I got more than enough pandering with XY, SM, and LGPE.

Let the new gen have more of it's own identity instead of suffering the consequences of an audience that even wants to delete everything that didn't resonate with them.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
HAH! Yeah right these people complain about literally every Gen of Pokémon. It doesn't remotely matter what Gen it was if it wasn't Gen 1 they'll complain.
On the other hand, this sweeping generalization isnt true either. I hate gen 1 pandering, and still think Gen 5 had weak pokemon design (stuff like klingklang, confagrigus, genies, duosion/solosis, cyagonal, etc). Though I do respect them being that bold, and wish they would do something like gen 5 again.

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 8 literally started with a "remake" of Gen 1. I've stated my feelings regarding PLG several times, so I firmly believe that's it's all downhill from here.

But Game Freak won't care. They will turn everything into PLG and you. will. like. it.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to do a gen 3/5 and have a pretty much entirely new regional dex. What they should take from gen 1 is the relative non-linearity and lack of handholding - give the game a bit of friction - something every other developer (including Nintendo) has seemed to learn in the last few years. I felt like I fucking sleptwalked through Let's Go.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I hope they don't
Gen 1 diehards need to move on, and if they don't, nintendo needs to realize they're not the ones that are gonna keep the franchise sustainable in the long run

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lesser in what way and to whom? I don't think it's possible to answer you overly vague question.

Every game Gen 6 onwards (XY, ORAS, SM, USUM) has suffered in quality because of the pandering. Baby tier difficulty, constant handholding, barely any exploration and optional routes, and mediocre post games. And instead of standing on their own merits and being original, there's constant references and callbacks to Kanto.

Generations 3-5 (RSE, DPPt, BWBW2) are the best games in the series because they don't regurgitate the same things we've already seen and experienced in the first generation of Pokémon. And the last time GameFreak released a great Pokémon game with Kanto in it was HGSS, where they put in serious effort into the quality of the game, something I can't say about LGPE.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't mind certain Gen 1 Pokemon popping up in region after region. Real world animals do, after all. Makes sense that, say, Magikarp, Ratata, Ekans or Grimer keeps popping up. Carp are everywhere, literally one species of rat are everywhere, many snake species have vast ranges and Grimer is just living pollution.

I take issue with basically all of the Gen1 mons showing up all the time, especially in regions far from Kanto. Pikachu gets a pass because mascot but a lot of these Pokemon have no reason to show up outside of Kanto or the other nearby (Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh) regions. And DON'T get me started on the starters....

Like, the biodiversity of, say, France and Japan is somewhat similar, but when you look at individual species, is quite different. So why most of the Kalos Pokedex is Kanto/Johto with a few others thrown in from Gen 3-5 is beyond me, outside of a pure out-of-universe reason.

Kinda why I appreciated Alolan forms. It let certain Pokemon be reused but adapt in a certain way that makes sense for the new home they found themselves in. I hope we get more in new regions, along with some for non-Kanto Pokemon.