• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you proceed?

• I mend fences.

Votes: 46 37.7%
  • I burn bridges.

Votes: 59 48.4%
  • I follow their lead.

Votes: 17 13.9%

• Total voters

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
How do you operate around people you don't see eye to eye with?

For me it depends on the situation but 9 times out of 10 I wait to follow someone's lead then I decide how to react.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
am i required to be around them

if yes, quiet passive-aggression

if no, lol fuck off blocked

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I treat them as best as I can, (i.e. deescalate and try to work towards a common understanding) to the threshold of where they hurt others. At some point treating a disagreeable person well hurts the people they hurt. Discerning that threshold is not simple.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If dislike, as much as possible I just ignore them. If need to interact with them, then just be civil about it.

For people I disagree with, it depends on their behavior. There are people who disagree with you but still remain respectful. I'm cool with that. There are people who are obnoxious when you don't see eye to eye. In that case, then I put them in the dislike category.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Depends on context. I'm often forced to be around a lot of bigoted people in a professional setting. I'll entertain them when they say something sexist/racist/homophobic, but when the opportunity for me to present a more compassionate perspective presents itself I'll do so.

On the other hand, if I encounter someone who's a prick that I don't owe any obligation to, I'm quick to call them out.

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose it depends. I would try to fix things but, if I see that that's not possible, I'll give as good as I get. I find that quietly ignoring insults and the like don't really do anything and, at the very least, I'd like the satisfaction of standing up for myself as opposed to being a doormat

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I make them think I'm their best friend. And I do it for years even. As I do this, I isolate them from others making their world revolve around me. As I do this, I make others begin to hate the individual.

Only then, I pull the final card and destroy them.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I've never really met someone I have deep seeded dislike for based on moral or ethical grounds. But I have worked with/been in class with people who piss me off for really pretty reasons. I usually just ignore them and if we are forced to interact, I keep my responses to three words or less so as not to invoke a conversation.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
I treat them like the shit they are.

I try my best to be civil. Until the breaking point is reached. Which comes quickly. The older I get the less patient I am.

That's just for the ones I dislike. For the ones I disagree with, it depends on their attitude.

Last edited:

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Depends on why I don't like them and if I'm in a situation where I'm forced to be around them like work or whatever.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I dislike them then I don't talk to them at all.

If there's a disagreement then I'm not gonna burn bridges. You can't be in agreement with everybody.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
people who burn bridges with other people who disagree with them are people that is addicted to their own echo chamber. These people needs to grow up.

as for people that you don't like, you can always ignore them if it's somehow that is not a requirement (not colleagues, family members, etc), just ignore them. What's so hard about it.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I try to treat everyone with respect, even if I strongly disagree with them. It doesn't always work, but I do my best.

If it's too difficult, I'll cut them out of my life. But I don't usually hold grudges, so if they reach out, I'm typically willing to mend fences.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Depends entirely on the person and situation. I've got a couple people I'm really close friends with whom I couldn't agree with less on political/societal issues. But I've also got others who I've cut out of my life entirely for the same reason. The details surrounding why we're friends in the first place and what we've gone through together make all the difference.

That said, if it's not someone I'm already friends with before hand, I'll try to hear out their side of things, then pretty much just burn said bridge in about 90% of instances... But politics and stuff along those lines are really the only reason I'd bother cutting them out.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they believe in the pursuit of a white ethno-state I usually let it lie. If however they think mustard is a better condiment on hotdogs than tomato ketchup I will have it out with them in public and if they don't change their mind they're a horrible person.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Luckily I don't have people around I can't stand anymore, I couldn't stand my lass boss and I basically just went along with things he said, going up against him only resulted in him yelling a lot and me feeling like shit.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
With indifference if circumstances require that I not piss them off.

With disdain if not.

Dec 2, 2017
It depends on context obviously. If we disagree on something like, whether Sonic 06 was a good game, whatever I don't care. If its something like 'women should be slaves to men', which was a serious argument I was having with someone I go to college with recently, then fuck them I just won't engage with them except to repudiate their views.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Begrudgingly put up with them as politely as I can until they go away, and then try to forget the interaction occurred.
I have to do this a lot at work.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Face to face, I'll probably just be inwardly uncomfortable.

Online, I love spewing hatred at bigots.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you just ignore and block people you disagree with, you start creating your own fiction of reality where there is no harm to your ideas or believes. We need discussion and arguments to further our knowledge.

It's different if someone is not willing to change or hear reason at all. Those better be ignored or not listened to.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
On the internet I tend to ignore them. Irl I treat them like I would treat any person - with a bit of distance but kindly. Unless, of course, it's something political and such person starts to spew homophobic bullshit, for example...

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't see an option in the poll to just ignore them. Burning bridges seems too aggressive, but I sure as shit won't follow their leads or 'mend fences'. People I disagree with I'll try to convince them, people I dislike I just ignore.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
99% of my interactions with people like that involve things I don't actually care all that much about. So even if I disagree with them or dislike them, I just follow their lead because I don't really care one way or another.

Last edited:

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
If they were a close friend beforehand I would try to repair things. Otherwise I'm just apathetic toward them; but I won't shoo them away if they want to make an effort to better things.

If it's something really egregious they would have to go to great lengths to get me to care. Like I will not tolerate any homophobia, transphobia, racism, etc. That person would really have to prove they've changed their tune and I'd probably be more aggressive toward them than apathetic in that scenario.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there no option for apathy or indifference?

You can choose to not engage with a person without burning bridges you know?

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
dislike: avoid / ignore / minimal required interaction

disagree: say that I disagree

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Dislike? Basically try and avoid as much as possible, if they're a major piece of shit then cut them out of my life.

Disagree? If they're polite with their opinions and not outwardly racist/homophobic etc then I don't feel the need to treat them with outward hostility. I'm friends with people who have differing politics but it doesn't mean I'm obliged to treat them like a leper. I just don't bother talking politics with these people as it can ruin an otherwise casual night of hanging out.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Dislike: As much as possible, I'll try to avoid them and ignore their existence. If I can't, I'll try to act nice as much as possible but probably will still be passive-agressive as fuck cause sadly I'm too impulsive for my own good.

Disagree: it depends on what, but if I can I'll just clearly state my disagreeing position in a firm way, and avoid bringing it up after that if I feel they're a lost cause who could never be convinced to my position, in order not to ruin mood.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I try to ignore as much as possible. My time and energy is is better spent elsewhere

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
It REALLY depends on what the disagreement is based on. Fundamental human rights? Try to persuade them to see the light, but if not, then just full on cut them out of my life. This includes family, with whom I have definitely cut ties over LGBT+ rights.

Something silly like an opinion or something work-related? Have a discussion, try to come to a compromise if it's a situation that could have one, and if that doesn't work, just agree to disagree and carry on with life.

Dislike? Avoid as much as humanly possible. Life's too short to deal with those people when you don't have to.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Depends on the situation. If you are an Erdogan supporter, I cut my ties. It's been 18 years, can't you see the suffering he causes? If you think AKP or Erdogan is good, that means you are either a bad person or a stupid one. Either way I have no patience or sympathy for you.