• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine using the force to turn off a saber mid fight requires too much dexterity to do while someone is swinging one at you.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
8KeKCx3.gif
What in the hell? Also, why are those lightsabers so thin? Ick

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Still the dumbest thing Star Wars has ever done with lightsabers.

It's kinda cute though, the childish misunderstanding that "things that spin go up", because the lift created isn't due to the specific shape of the rotor / helicopter blades, but merely due to the really really fast rotation. :D

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Pretty sure there's a switch. Would be cool if you could only turn it on with the force so only force users could use them.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will if there's a switch. How the hell does Darth maul spin is sabre around like a stick whilst holding the button down????

Do you not know how switches work? Do you spend your time at home standing with your thumb holding down the light switch to avoid plunging into darkness?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that they can use the Force to activate / keep a saber activated. It's the whole reason lightsaber throws work, even though lightsabers turn off when dropped.

I'd also guess there's some kind of shielding technique/design thing that protects lightsabers from being activated or manipulated by an opponent. There's very few instances of anything like that happening, so there's gotta be an explanation why.
What in the hell? Also, why are those lightsabers so thin? Ick
The thin saber design is an homage to the OG concept art for Star Wars. Rebels takes a lot of inspiration from concept art.

And it's hard to parse, but those dual-bladed sabers have a sort of circular, spinning base that lets them 'copter like that. It's not the staff design of Maul's dual-bladed saber.

...And yes, they're completely ridiculous.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Because that doesn't explain the spinning and throwing of them, no?

I mean, I was just looking for the in lore answer like whatever BS GL invented I will accept? But nobody seems to know exactly how it works lol.

Because knowing exactly how everything works in minute detail would make for really, really, REALLY shitty movies and shows. Because that sort of detail is just, unimportant. Hardcore nerds may well spend hours and hours memorising technical schematics and intricate minutia, but the majority of people just don't need that level of detail to make it through a movie.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that they can use the Force to activate / keep a saber activated. It's the whole reason lightsaber throws work, even though lightsabers turn off when dropped.

I'd also guess there's some kind of shielding technique/design thing that protects lightsabers from being activated or manipulated by an opponent. There's very few instances of anything like that happening, so there's gotta be an explanation why.

The thin saber design is an homage to the OG concept art for Star Wars. Rebels takes a lot of inspiration from concept art.

And it's hard to parse, but those dual-bladed sabers have a sort of circular, spinning base that lets them 'copter like that. It's not the staff design of Maul's dual-bladed saber.

...And yes, they're completely ridiculous.
I do kinda remember the footage of Obi Wan and Vader fighting and the lightsabers seeming a little thinner. Not really a fan and I'm glad they changed it. Lookin more like lightrapiers.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Depends on the lightsaber. In the newest movie there's a pretty prominent scene where you clearly see someone switching on a lightsaber.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
There is a switch, but what is not really explained is why they turn off as soon as a wielder dies. Also there is so much potential for turning them off mid fight against other saber users. Haven't watched any cartoon or read any other material, but I don't remember anyone using it to the advantage in any film (and you can easily kill your opponents by letting them strike air and then cutting them up immediately)
Along with this when in a clash why don't you try to turn off your lightsaber dodge the attack to throw your opponent off guard then turn it back on and strike them? I know it is fiction so just don't ask but since they are laser swords there are so many ways to exploit the weapon.
The EU Legends had a fighting style based on switching off the lightsaber. Iirc it was so difficult that only the best duelists could master it.
A bit OT, but what Fallen Order taught me is that double-bladed lightsabers are the dumbest thing imaginable, at least based on Cal's wack moveset lol. That slashing he does with the hilt seemingly pressed against his waist looks so utterly useless. Feels like he's carefully trying to not off himself.

Anyways OP, lightsabers don't make any sense. Don't fuss about it.
Cal is pretty inexperienced with lightsabers (seems like he avoided using his completely till the game's story begins), especially with double bladed ones so it's not too much of a stretch of imagination to see why he does that. Hate how it looks though.
It's the batteries that interest me, everything else in the series is huge.
The protosabers had battery packs that let the Jedi overclock their lightsabers.
latest

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, good point.

Edit: Nah, wait, safety measure: When you turn on the switch, the saber stays on as long as there's someone touching the hilt. So if you drop it, it turns off automatically.
(which can, of course, be overruled by the wielder using the force to keep the button pressed - so it doesn't turn off when you throw it)

Can someone who isn't force-sensitive throw it while on, then?

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I like to have a nice dinner ready for when it gets home, and I put on some smooth jazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.