• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously what is the in lore answer for this???

Because you never see anyone flip a switch.

Also when people die wielding z lightsaber it automatically turns off!

Is it with the force? But then how did Han turn it on.

Please explain this mystery to me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There is a switch but most Jedi appear to use the force to press it. If you scrutinize as there are probably many instances where it doesn't look like they're pressing a switch and that's where the force comes in.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
There's a button on the side.

This is the most pointless excuse for a SW thread I've seen, and you, my friend, have some fierce competition on that front.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
tenor.gif

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is a switch, but what is not really explained is why they turn off as soon as a wielder dies. Also there is so much potential for turning them off mid fight against other saber users. Haven't watched any cartoon or read any other material, but I don't remember anyone using it to the advantage in any film (and you can easily kill your opponents by letting them strike air and then cutting them up immediately)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There is a switch, but what is not really explained is why they turn off as soon as a wielder dies. Also there is so much potential for turning them off mid fight against other saber users. Haven't watched any cartoon or read any other material, but I don't remember anyone using it to the advantage in any film (and you can easily kill your opponents by letting them strike air and then cutting them up immediately)
.......more people should play Jedi Fallen Order.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The switches on them are small, just sort of flicked by your thumb, so you never would see them pressed unless you had an extreme close-up. Most of them have physical, obvious switches if you actually look at them, and most of the toys/replicas/whatever have their on-off switches in the correct place based on the props, too.

Most recently, in the new trilogy they filmed with sabers that are a bit like hugely improved/more expensive versions of the FX ones that are for sale/that fans build - so they actually light up. They did this so that they didn't have to add the color glow reflecting on people/the environment in post, though they still draw over the natural, real light of the saber blade as a special effect as they always did before. In the prequels they just fought with metal sticks and added all lighting effects, even reflection and glow, in post.

Anyway, point is, the modern props actually have an on/off switch anyway, cos they actually have an electronic blade that lights up. So yeah, they have switches.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a button on the side.

This is the most pointless excuse for a SW thread I've seen, and you, my friend, have some fierce competition on that front.

Will if there's a switch. How the hell does Darth maul spin is sabre around like a stick whilst holding the button down????

Also when obi 1 jumps out the hole in episode 1 he doesn't press anything. It even zooms in on his hands!!!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
screen-shot-2019-07-05-at-15-15-56.png

Will if there's a switch. How the hell does Darth maul spin is sabre around like a stick whilst holding the button down????

Also when obi 1 jumps out the hole in episode 1 he doesn't press anything. It even zooms in on his hands!!!
It's not a button you need to hold, it's an on-off switch :P

And Switches can be triggered with the force, duh?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
With a little bit of foreplay.
It's the batteries that interest me, everything else in the series is huge.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

Shit, you're right. Congratulations, you beat star wars.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

The force?, Kylo turns on snokes from a distance. The buttons are there for normal functionality.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Then why does it turn off when you die??

Hmmm, good point.

Edit: Nah, wait, safety measure: When you turn on the switch, the saber stays on as long as there's someone touching the hilt. So if you drop it, it turns off automatically.
(which can, of course, be overruled by the wielder using the force to keep the button pressed - so it doesn't turn off when you throw it)

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
why the fuck are there two lightsaber threads going at the same time

goddammit era

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
In the new movie they show
a rotating ring switch at the top of the hilt for one of the lightsabres.

It's the only instance of us actually seeing a switch I think. I just assumed they used force to switch the thing on or just pressed it with their thumbs quickly.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, good point.

Edit: Nah, wait, safety measure: When you turn on the switch, the saber stays on as long as there's someone touching the hilt. So if you drop it, it turns off automatically.
(which can, of course, be overruled by the wielder using the force to keep the button pressed - so it doesn't turn off when you throw it)
Qui Gon's sabre turns off before he drops it!

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It's a button that you press once for on then press again for off. It turns off when you die because of the force and khyber crystals and shit I imagine? Arent lightsabres unique to their user unless narrative forcey magic says otherwise?

Seriously find a toy store and find a toy lightsabre. They have the button and they light up when you press it and turn off when you press it again. This seems super obvious to me but only because I always had one as a kid.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
if it's a button why don't they use the force to turn off their opponent's lightsaber?
Along with this when in a clash why don't you try to turn off your lightsaber dodge the attack to throw your opponent off guard then turn it back on and strike them? I know it is fiction so just don't ask but since they are laser swords there are so many ways to exploit the weapon.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I did or I am at halfway through so it seems like it's used in the game? Don't remember a skill that does that so far.

Along with this when in a clash why don't you try to turn off your lightsaber dodge the attack to throw your opponent off guard then turn it back on and strike them? I know it is fiction so just don't ask but since they are laser swords there are so many ways to exploit the weapon.

Haha same thing I've written. Seems like in Fallen Order it's used? Eden has to clarify.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it that hard to imagine that maybe, maybe, these lightsabers have technology to automatically turn off if no one is holding them? I mean, seems like a smart safety feature.

Also, it's sci-fi. Anything is possible.
Because that doesn't explain the spinning and throwing of them, no?

I mean, I was just looking for the in lore answer like whatever BS GL invented I will accept? But nobody seems to know exactly how it works lol.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A bit OT, but what Fallen Order taught me is that double-bladed lightsabers are the dumbest thing imaginable, at least based on Cal's wack moveset lol. That slashing he does with the hilt seemingly pressed against his waist looks so utterly useless. Feels like he's carefully trying to not off himself.

Anyways OP, lightsabers don't make any sense. Don't fuss about it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Qui Gon's sabre turns off before he drops it!
You see, that fail safe doesn't work just via the conductivity of your skin, but it sense the life force of the user. It's a Jedi Weapon after all.

Because that doesn't explain the spinning and throwing of them, no?

I mean, I was just looking for the in lore answer like whatever BS GL invented I will accept? But nobody seems to know exactly how it works lol.

because lightsabers don't actually exist

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They way I see it is that they continously press the button using the force. If they die that force is no longer applied thus it turns off.

Status
Not open for further replies.