• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I turn 30 next month and for some reason it still kind of bothers me to this day that my parents don't approve of the fact that I love video games. While I understood it when i was struggling through high school, today I have a steady full-time career, a great marriage, I'm a home owner, and I'm completely financially independent.

Despite all that my parents still vocally disapprove of something that's a big part of who I am. I also love movies, music, fashion, and art, but this particular hobby of mine is just seemingly impossible for them to accept. it's not that I spend an inordinate amount of time playing games either as I'm a pretty busy guy.

I know it sounds silly, but it's still where I (and my brothers in fact) are at. I've heard this from lots of folks who like games and it has always interested me why so many parents disapprove of something not all that different from any other form of media.

Even today it affects how I talk about video games with others. I still catch myself at times feeling ashamed of and hiding this particular hobby. When people come to my house, they're often shocked by my large console collection. I hope I don't do this with something my kids love.

What about you? Did/do you have parents that were supportive of your interest in video games? What is it about video games in particular that so many parents take issue with?

parentdontunderstand-4d808ceb38a29016c33c3ad781012d34.gif

Last edited:

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They think it's a waste of time and I should be working on my CFA / law degree instead

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was something they thought would just go away as I got older, and there was a moment in time where they didn't understand why I continued to play them. To an extent they still don't, but at this point they've realized gaming isn't just a thing for kids, but a legitimate form of entertainment, even if they're not into it themselves.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
My parents mainly don't see the appeal or what's so special about them but they also are cool and understand that it's something I enjoy so they don't get in the way of my interests.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I think my mom doesn't like them but she knows it's one of the very few things that make me happy in life so she justs lets it slip.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Well I only game cause my dad bought my neither and I an Atari ST with Space Harrier and Turrican in 1989 (ish)

So anytime he mentions how much i spend on the hobby I blame him.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I turn 30 next month and for some reason it still kind of bothers me to this day that my parents don't approve of the fact that I love video games. While I understood it when i was struggling through high school, today I have a steady full-time career, a great marriage, I'm a home owner, and I'm completely financially independent.

Despite all that my parents still vocally disapprove of something that's a big part of who I am. I also love movies, music, fashion, and art, but this particular hobby of mine is just seemingly impossible for them to accept. it's not that I spend an inordinate amount of time playing games either as I'm a pretty busy guy.

I know it sounds silly, but it's still where I (and my brothers in fact) are at. I've heard this from lots of folks who like games and it has always interested me why so many parents disapprove of something not all that different from any other form of media.

Even today it affects how I talk about video games with others. I still catch myself at times feeling ashamed of and hiding this particular hobby. When people come to my house, they're often shocked by my large console collection. I hope I do this with something my kids love.

What about you? Did/do you have parents that were supportive of your interest in video games? What is it about video games in particular that so many parents take issue with?
QUOTE]

Exactly the same with me. I just turned 30, same situation. I think this is very dependent on the generation you're born in and how old your parents are. Younger friends of mine tend to have parents who even play themselves (casually ofc).
I think maybe people a little older than us (maybe end 30s?) would probably be the first cohort to fully understand gaming culture etc.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
My mom loves them. She plays games more than I do. She normally plays puzzle and adventure games, but she really likes Driver, Burnout, and GTA.

Deleted member 11002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dad wishes he could play them, but he can't wrap his mind around using two joysticks. I think if he actually put in the time to learn, he'd be fine. My mom knows that I like them, but she doesn't really have an opinion on them one way or another.

They also know that I'm an adult, so even if they completely disapproved (which they don't,) it wouldn't make a difference.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
My dad plays and likes games, always has. My mom used to like Virtua Cop a lot, but she's dead now.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
My parents introduced me to video games, leading me to a job in the industry. They feel pretty good about it.
Now though, they feel games are "too complicated" for them to play, Sonic Mania and Tetris are the only ones they have played in years due to nostalgy.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mom thinks it's a waste of time and wonders why I haven't grown out of it yet.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
They don't really get it but they aren't dismissive or anything either. There was a time, probably around 13-15 years-old when they seemed to suggest I should grow out of them, but now that I'm 26 and still am as avid of a gamer as ever, they seem to accept the fact that it's just a part of who I am. I can even get them to join me and my brother in a round of Mario Kart from time to time, though they usually get frustrated and quit pretty quickly.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
My mom and dad both let me play games a lot as a kid, probably since I didn't have any friends and was bored all the time. So I'd have to say they're fine with it. My father has passed so I don't really know if he actually was okay with the fact or if he was just trying to make me happy as a kid, whereas my mom knows it's literally the only thing I'm passionate about, and she's just glad I have *something*. She also plays some mobile stuff and dabbles in Animal Crossing and more party-esque games like Mario Party with me and my niece and nephew or Mario Kart 8 DX.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My parents have just about always supported my gaming hobby, and even in my mid-30s, my mom loves that she can get me a videogame for Christmas which is a very easy gift that she doesn't have to worry about getting wrong. She asks me before every Christmas if there's a particular videogame I'd like, and I usually give her a few ideas, and she'll pick one off the list and give it to me. It's a great easy gift and she knows it's something I'll spend my leisure time on, when the rest of my time is working or w/e. Every holiday there's a handful of games that I like but they're not my top games and I keep those on a list as ideas for my mom for Christmas... it's usually Assassins Creed, Doom, Wolfenstein, some Nintendo game, or what have you, and now that you can buy digital game codes on AMazon it just makes it so much easier. She usually prints out the Amazon page and puts it into a small box, wraps it, or wraps it up with some underwear or socks or something... She always gets a kick out of giving a bunch of Hanes socks, and then stuffed into the sock thing is a print out with 'Assassins Creed: Black Flag" or something.

My dad used to play games with me when I was younger. He was the first in our family to beat the last level in Super Mario Bros, always was the best Tetris and PacMan player. He was really good at Rad Racer and routinely beat the game, something none of his kids could do. He used to like racing games on Playstation like Rally Cross, loved Vigilante 8, and played some Madden/NCAA football on Playstation as well. He'd just do the practice mode and liked learning the plays. We'd make our own game using the practice mode where we'd keep track of down/distance on our own, and use the "Respot Ball," and basically like play a game to 21 or something... This way, the Play Clock wouldn't count down, there'd be no delay of game or game clock issues, and if a specific play didn't work out the right way then you could kind of just replay it without needed to do anything. Now a days, he doesn't play any games anymore, but I brought a Raspberry Pi w/ emulators over to their house and he was back in his element with Ms. PacMan, Dr. Mario, and Tetris, though honestly, he probably shouldn't play them because it'll give him a heart attack, he gets so worked up about it.

My mom never played videogames, but she often recounts the story about how back in the 1990s when we got Super Mario Bros 3, she got an awful flu bug that week. The kids were all at school and she was bored at home, so she decided to try playing the game... somethign her kids and husband played regularly. She managed to get the console on and get into the first world but couldn't figure out how to jump over the first pit in the first world... Not really understanding that B was a modifier to make mario run faster to make a long jump, something that is just an essential feature of most platformers and so it's not something that Mario 3 trains you to do, because it's been such a basic staple of Mario since even pre-Super Mario days. She got so frustrated she just turned it off.

Neither of my parents play phone games or shitty PC/browser games, which I'm happy about. It's frustrating for me going to my in-laws and we'll be hanging out at their house, not really doing anything, but just kind of sitting around on a Sunday afternoon and my mother in law will be playing Candy Crush or some other shitty mobile F2P game, and I'll just be like ... why are we even here to myself. If I went over to visit my parents and my mother was playing Candy Crush on her phone I'd be like, well, I guess I won't stay...

As a youngster and teen my parents kind of liked that I played videogames. My mother will often tell my wife how easy I was as a teenager because I really didn't get into trouble... my vices were videogames and the computer, and sure, I wouldn't do homework and I spent WAY too much time online or playing videogames in the 90s, but honestly while other kids were out experimenting with drugs or alcohol, getting pulled over and harrassed by the cops, I was usually at home playing a game... either with friends or alone, and that's honestly what I liked doing the most. To this day, sure I love going out for drinks, going out to dinner, going to shows, and so on with friends, but still I long for days when my wife has plans with her friends or coworkers or something and I get a night off to sit around, drink some beers, and play a game. I get up early on Saturdays or Sundays specifically to go out, get a coffee, come home and play a game of Madden or something. It's something that's basically never changed about me, the only things that have changed is that, generally, I don't have any time to play games anymore, and I have virtually limitless amount of money to spend on games. I really wouldn't have the job I have now without videogames, either. I'm a software engineer, not in the gaming industry at all, but virtually everything that motivated me to learn development and software frameworks had some relation to gaming... Learned server environments from setting up TFC and Counter-Strike servers, learned basics of command line from installing games, learned PHP, HTML, and JS from setting up stats websites for my CS server, learned web frameworks from setting up videogame forums and blogs, etc. Honed my photoshop abilities, learned how vectors and compression worked from making TFC/CS maps and textures... Learned 3D modelling from TFC making mapping models, etc. I honestly would have never jumped into any of that if it weren't for videogames.

Last edited:

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
They're not into them but they really have no issue with them as my hobby. When I was a kid they made sure I didn't buy or rent violent games like Mortal Kombat or Resident Evil, but that was basically it.

The only game that my dad ever played was Star Fox on the SNES, but he'll occasionally walk in on me playing something on the PS4 and remark at how amazing graphics are these days.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
My Dad was the one that introduced me. I remember all the secrets in Super Mario and Legend of Zelda that he would show me. By the time the SNES came out, he limited himself to multiplayer titles that he could play with us, and once the 64 hit, he only played Mario Kart, Mario Golf, and Mario Party. I wonder if the hobby will lose priority with me in a similar manner someday... Regardless, while he played less, he never stopped me from playing or looked down on me for playing. In fact, the family still pulls out OG Dr. Mario on occasion to throw down. Good times!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They still think it's childish that I'm a 26 year old man playing a hobby they still see as solely for kids. I don't know why they can't think more about it that it's simply another medium for entertainment.

Styrman

Nov 7, 2017
My parents are the ones who introduced me to gaming when they bought a NES for christmas. We often played together up to the release of PS2, which I got for myself and had in my room instead of the living room.
They were never really bothered by my gaming habits, but then I've never had a problem putting the controller down when I needed to do chores or study. (My English grades improved drastically aswell).

My SO's mother on the other hand didn't really understand it at first. My girlfriend never had a console growing up, but started liking games more and more when we began dating. A few years back, her mother actually reached out to me when kinds in her class started skipping school to play WoW or stream StarCraft (She's a teacher). So we had a weekend at my place where we just played games nonstop so she could learn some things to easier connect with her students. It was pretty fun.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
My folks have nothing against them but because they didn't have them in their younger years I guess they just aren't interested. I can imagine as generations move on you'll see loads of parents and even grandparents playing games.

My mother did have a thing for Tetris back in the day and my dad thought Dead Rising was really cool but that's as far as it ever went.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
My dad introduced me to gaming. He's an avid gamer, big Xbox guy. Currently playing Destiny 2.

My mom is into just the classics, Pac Man, Tetris, Mahjongg. Her favorite game is Jungle Book on the Genesis! She had a hardcore DS phase when that system got really popular. That was cool!

So they're pretty cool.

Oh, my dad built and arcade cabinet from scratch and re-purposed his OG Xbox with it.... Coolest thing Ive ever witnessed man. Love my fam.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
They think it's a waste of time and money, naturally. I had to practically sneak new purchases into the house because otherwise my mother would flip that I wasted more money on the stuff.

I received my first console, a NES, at the age of four in 1989 from my godparents. (Aunt & Uncle)

Every time my parents thought videogames affected my schoolwork they would lament that they allowed them to give it to me in the first place.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine was split, mom supported it (and bough my first Snes with Mario all Stars when I was like 10 years old, that was a glorious day) but my Dad kinda doesnt like gaming, he looks down on it. Most of my other family members dont like it tho, they still ask me "do you still play videogames? omg" lol, to witch I reply, oh yes I do!, what about you? still watching netflix? lol. They just dont understand gaming is a hobby as any other, and yes it can get adictive and harm you as any other hobby too.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mom kinda enjoys it, even though she doesn't play console games. She knows I care and tries to ask me about the new things, what I'm interested, etc. She also enjoys watching me play stuff like Yoshi, Mario, Zelda and Kirby.

My dad isn't a fan, but doesn't mind too much and used to gift me games alongside other stuff like books and board games. I think it was his way to give me something I would enjoy for sure, while trying to balance it with other things (I'm very grateful for that).

They're both pretty open minded and I like how we share/talk about our interests.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
they actually really supported me. I was always a very responsible kid, getting great grades at school, and they actually helped me with my gaming purchases.

I am 35 years old, have been gaming since I was 5 years old. Never let gaming affect my school performance. Today I am a physician, and I think gaming helped me a lot to manage stress of life and to tune my motor skills.

Game for life!!

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
They don't understand anything past the Super Nintendo but they never had a problem with me playing them.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
They don't play them, but they have nothing against them. They were actually quite supportive of it as a big hobby of mine as a kid. They never seemed to act like I was wasting my time or doing anything bad by playing them.

And now I work in the game industry and finally, almost 10 years deep (more than half of that in QA), I'm making decent money. So now they're happy I played games so much growing up.

Oct 27, 2017
They like playing them. My mom plays simpler puzzle games on tablets but I got her a DS a decade ago that she used a bit.

My dad still plays old DOS games thru an emulator. He used to play games with me during the N64 days, we'd play Goldeneye and Shadows of the Empire but for the most part he sticks to old DOS stuff. He also has CP so his motor skills for gaming aren't quick.

My fiancé's parents didn't get it for a while I think but my brother in law is graduating with a 3D degree this month so they've been convinced of the medium's value, at least monetarily.

I used to get really embarrassed that I liked games so much and feared it would push people away, probably until I was in my early to mid 20s. Now I'm 30 and don't give a fuck and have found that most people I know play some form of games and aren't as judge mental.

In fact, I've been taking it upon myself to introduce people I know who don't Game or are told they don't play games to gaming. I'm especially trying to get my nieces into gaming if they want to, since my nephews already love it.

A friend of mine had a GF (they've broken up since then) and she was repeatedly told by others she couldn't play games with us when we would play idk why. So I recommended her some games to try for the first time and she really loved Tearaway. Idk her anymore but hope she continues to enjoy the hobby.

Woah, long post sorry lol.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
My mother has played games since Atari. I was born with Pac-Man fever and have never known a life with out River Raid. I was in elementary school and had to stay up till 2:00 AM on a school night cause she felt we were close to the end of Final Fantasy II (IV) She is 62 now and she beat Assassin's Creed Origins before I even started the Quest line to kill the Crocodile. We played through Destiny 2, The Division and Elder Scrolls online together. I always thought it was weird to have friends whose parents didn't know about games.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
When I moved abroad as a kid, video game was what kept me busy enough to take my mind off of being in foreign land where I don't understand shit, and my parents knows that.
So yeah, they don't really care much that I still love video game as an adult.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
They felt the same about me gaming as they did about me reading so much. Didn't understand it and thought I spent far too much time doing it versus studying. But since I kept straight A's, they supported the hobbies financially.

There was also a time when my mom didn't like that I focused on such a male-centric hobby over more feminine things. She's mostly over that.

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
My parents have always supported me gaming as a hobby. Dad never played them but he would sit there and watch me play them growing up, as he was really into the stories. It was great daughter/father bonding time. They'd always buy me the latest consoles even though we didn't have much money at times.

My mom used to play games, stuff like Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc. She was still playing them well into her early 60s (I bought her a 2DS, it was her last console actually) until she had a massive stroke and can't anymore. Her favorite game was Super Mario Bros 3 and she was just incredible at it.

I'm in my early 30s, married to a video game developer and my parents still buy me video games for my birthday and Christmas. I'm really lucky my family was and still is supportive of one of my biggest hobbies!

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
My parents are/were gamers themselves. My mom lives RPGs and my dad platformers and Zelda style games. I bought them a SNES Classic for Christmas this year and I know they will love it.

Krakle

Oct 27, 2017
My parents aren't bothered by them and at 31 years old, it wouldn't bother me if they did.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
My parents appreciate them, but don't play, and have always supported my hobby

My mom did have a problem with me playing Carmageddon when I was like 9 but I guess that makes sense

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
My dad used to play sports games when I was a kid but I think they generally feel it's all a waste of money. However, they know I'm into it and don't really badmouth it.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
My mom plays enough matching puzzle games for the entire family lol. And my dad picked up Tetris in his final years.

Back in the 80s I remember playing Defender and Pitfall on the 2600 with my dad and when he bought an Amiga we spent quite a bit of time with Marble Madness and Defender of the Crown.

He kinda fell off of games as I got older and more into games but as long as I kept my grades up my folks were always cool with my hobbies.

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017
My dad introduced me to gaming at age 4 when he bought a ZX Spectrum into the house and sat me down in front of Horace and the Spiders. From there it snowballed and he made sure to buy pretty much every computer and console that was released over the next few years. Once I was old enough to own them myself I'd get a new console as soon as they were released. He also converted his attic into a game room with CRT TVs around the walls with tons of retro and modern consoles set up. I was extremely lucky to have a father who was into the hobby in such a big way. He's been dead for 14 years now and I'd happily give up everything I have to sit up there having a gaming session with him again.

My mother doesn't mind me gaming as a hobby but her own interest doesn't extend beyond Facebook games.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
It's something my parents thought I did too much of - now that they're retired, they spend a lot of time playing casual games on their laptop.
They could argue it's a good time to spend idle time, but that a student's time shouldn't be that idle - on the other hand, my experience with the medium sharpened some skills i still use at work, like English.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
My dad was the one who convinced my mom to let me have a console when I was younger, but I think he thought my interest would go away as I got older. He doesn't really "get it" but he doesn't mind them. Every time he walks by while I'm playing one he'll say something like "that man's still running, seems like he's been running for a while now." lol (He said that while I was playing Horizon the other day, and WoW is "The Running-Man Game".) I think he explained his feelings on it as "hey, it led you to pursue computer science and get a good-paying job, so I'm cool with it, har har!"

My mom was originally against me playing them, as suggested above, because my aunt (her sister) was telling her it wouldn't be good for me to play them, as I understand the story -- which is funny, because this aunt had no problems buying them for her son and it's this cousin's fault that I got into games in the first place. But my dad changed my mom's mind on that and I got to have the best Christmas ever with a one-two punch of a Game Boy Pocket and N64. Today, she's pretty cool about it and tries to share in my enthusiasm even though she's not particularly interested in playing them herself (she tried, but she doesn't "get" controllers, and a lot of them give her motion sickness. She does play hidden object games on her phone sometimes, though). She dressed as Ash Ketchum for Halloween this year. lol

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
My mom thinks video games can be fascinating, while my dad thinks they are for children and a waste of money.