• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The MJ name switch is weird to me, but I like the character a lot.

I hope they give the Tony Stark stuff a rest now, but was fine with it anchoring him to the MCU (and unfortunately Uncle Ben was getting a bit played out).

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's on film multiple times, and had countless cartoons that are pretty popular to, so change what you gotta.

Do what's best to make him play into the MCU, cause Spidey is always the allstar who plays off his universe.

Ganke just being given to him though is wild to me.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I love the MCU incarnation of SM. I welcome the changes. I was never a SM purist or obsessed with the comics, just followed casually.

If you want SM in the MCU, which I do, then it brings the world of the MCU with it, which in my eyes makes perfect sense that SM would be obsessed with Tony Stark / IM. People that get bent out of shape that MJ doesn't have red hair or they're not using Gwen or w/e else. Marvel literally can't make everyone happy.

I think the reason they're not bringing up Ben is b/c it's been done before twice now and that if there was a mention, people would just want more.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I dislike their choice of using high school spider-man more than any changes they made

Which is exactly why we don't need yet another high school/college live action Parker

Holland is in this for the long haul. He's not going to stay "college aged" forever. Holland Himself is 23. We'll be moving into "adult/independent" spidey by Spidey 4 or 5 at the latest.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
We really don't need a 3rd uncle ben spider-man origin movie. I'm glad mcu is trying something different with Holland. It's not like Uncle Ben doesn't exist in the mcu.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Best live depiction of Spiderman/Peter by miles, imo.

The MJ "liberty" is great.

I dislike their choice of using high school spider-man more than any changes they made
This is the best part about MCU spiderman. Really helps the films stand out from the rest, the high school drama stuff is really well done and, honestly, this is where Peter should start.

As he grows in the MCU we'll get the working life Peter.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I just don't like the Peter Parker being the new Tony Stark / Tony Stark Junior aspect. The other things I really like :)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dig it. It's not a conventional take on Spider-Man, but it didn't need to be. Peter Parker as was depicted back in the day and also the Raimi movies was a highly anachronistic take for its time, and in as much as the Webb movies attempted to get away from that, they only managed to do that through aesthetics rather than the substance. MCU Spidey actually manages to commit fully to it.

There's been much ado about how much impact Uncle Ben has on things in these movies but I feel like people are a little too married to Raimi's interpretation of the character where almost everything is driven on his own connection to the character, and I find that a little bit confusing because Peter had a lot more people in his life other than Ben that influenced him and his way of living. The one thing Uncle Ben's death taught him which was a constant and that goes without saying, is that he has a responsibility to use his talents for good things (Spider-Verse even parodies how overplayed Ben is in the grander scheme of things, and when Miles' own uncle dies, that alone isn't enough to turn him into a true "Spider-Man"). That doesn't mean Peter has never second guessed his commitment to being Spider-Man, nor does it preclude the possibility that Peter desires approval of other figures in his life. With Tony in particular, it's not that Tony "replaced" Ben, it's more that Peter sees Tony not only as an ideal but as a means of accomplishing those great things he wants to do, hence why he wants to be an Avenger so badly at first. That desire obviously falls to the wayside before too long once he realizes he'd rather be on the ground and help the little guys. He'll only get involved in the Avengers if it's global threat level, but he's not going to go out and bust any armed terrorists like Crossbones anytime soon.

Obviously Tony's death would affect him in Far From Home, because he had a personal connection with Tony and he doesn't really have anyone else to relate to when being thrust into situations that are just way too big for a 16 year old kid to handle. That's why he's so attached to Beck at first, he needs someone to relate to in a world like the one he's in, even for someone of Peter's capabilities. But he finally rises up to the challenge, because to quote an even better Spider-Man movie, "it's a leap of faith". And like many a good Spider-Man stories have taught us, he also finally learns that having a responsibility to hero work doesn't stop Peter from being able to pursue romantic engagements.

Is it kind of strange that Peter basically has the advantage of having an entire corporation on speed-dial to help him if need be? I guess, kind of. But Peter's a simpler person, he only takes what he needs, because he's selfless. We don't see him living in any penthouse or a fancy Avengers compound or some such, just an average Queens apartment. Even if he has the opportunity to move up, he clearly wants to do so on his own terms, which is why the character is commendable.

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Spider-Man has always had very different interpretations from medium to medium. I mean, there are 5 different Spider-Man series going on right now in comics, plus he pops up in tons more. I don't really mind any "interpreation" of the character and I actually feel like people could get a bit wackier or daring with their depictions.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I only have a few hang-ups. Uncle Ben's role is so light in the movies that, as far as the director is concerned, Uncle Ben isn't necessarily dead in the MCU continuity. I'm sure he is but that speaks to his presence.

Peter is insulated from financial issues. Given the personal interest Tony and Happy took in Peter's life it might be difficult to explain how they wouldn't offer financial support to Aunt May if they were really struggling, even if Peter was too proud to accept it. In any case MCU Peter is quite far from money being such an issue that Peter would sell photographs that are used to incriminate his alter-ego.

I like it overall though. The universe surrounding this Spider-Man feels like a more interesting 'Ultimate' take on the character than I've ever found 'Ultimate Spider-Man' to be.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if there was one thing missing in FFH, it's some good quippage. Think there was even less of it than Homecoming.

yeah it's weird how he's more quippy in the Avengers and Civil War than in his own movies (and it's not like he's very quippy in these either but atleast it's something).

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
There's nothing really wrong with MCU Spiderman. The constant Tony worshiping stuff is a dissapointing nitpick but doesn't ruin the character. Like I got over them long ago.

The only really bad thing I can say is that Peters motivation and arc throughout homecoming is the antithesis to what appeals to me about the character of spiderman, and what all spidermans stories tend to be about (doing the right thing whatever the personal cost because it's the right thing).

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I love MCU Spidey but I do miss a few things.

I would like them to get back to his science obsession and I would just like to see Uncle Ben once.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
As a person who has followed Spider-Man for a long time, including owning #129 - first appearance of the Punisher, I will give my input. I really like Holland's portrayal, as he is supposed to just be a kid at this time in his career. I also think Maguire was too old, too fast in the first movies. As for Aunt May, that is one of my harder things to swallow with this version, but it's good comic relief how "everybody" wants to get with Peter's Aunt - and how Peter has a hard time dealing with it is some of Holland's best acting here. I also think Uncle Ben is "there" if you look for it - in the first film when asking Ned to keep the secret he talks about all that has happened to Aunt May, and Ned's attitude completely changes - it's a subtle thing, but very noticeable. As for MJ, she has grown on me - she's not like the MJ in the books at all, but their little high school awkward romance is VERY believable. I never saw that one coming, as her performance in Homecoming was very stilted. Much better exposition of her character in FFH. And Ned is the best supporting character by far .. the man in the chair

Also, the Iron Man mentor thing is a great twist, and it gives a great sense of humanity to Tony Stark that has been missing from his character as well. I'm a big fan of the two MCU movies, and I'm really interested to see what they do with the third movie now that Jameson is in the picture, and looking like his irritated, Spider-Man hating self. And those that don't think Holland is enough of a nerd? Dude, the character builds Lego Death Stars in High School - he's pretty damned nerdy

Taking on Mysterio, and doing it effectively, was FFH's biggest surprise, and I enjoyed it immensely. As for Homecoming, it is one of my favorite SM movies, up there with Toby Maguire's portrayal in Spider-Man 2, so Holland is doing something right.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I'm fine with the most part. While I don't need to see Uncle Ben kick the bucket again, I do wish they'd acknowledge his existence, it could be something as minor as a family photo in the background.

Never felt Zendaya's character was an OC as much as her being a re-imagining of the character, but I do wish they would dye her hair reddish.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan. I just want spiderman swinging around new york and struggling with school/jobs. All this Stark Industries/Shield stuff makes it feel less like spiderman. And i really dont like how tony supplies spiderman with suits. Worst part.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was cool how they worked in Tony as the replacement for Fury being a mentor in Ultimate. I thought it worked well in the context of where the movie universe was at the time.

Zendaya as MJ is fantastic.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't dislike the MCU version of Spider-Man but until the last scene in Far From Home there had definitely felt like something was missing. Turns out it was skyscrapers and New York.

This version of MJ isn't really for me either.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It genuinely doesn't bother me that they've changed a bunch of stuff, because the MCU movies are their own animal. But if I'm going to complain:

-I'm annoyed that they straight up never even mention Uncle Ben. Like, if you don't want to do the origin story again, that's totally fine, but I feel like they're pretending that Uncle Ben never even existed.
-I like Zendaya as MJ, and I think it's a really solid and interesting change, but I always have a torch for classic redhead "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot" Mary Jane. So I don't hate it, but it makes me a tiny bit sad.
-I haven't seen FFH, but the thing that I love about Spider-man is the fact that being a hero actively makes his life worse, but he gets up and does it anyway. Spider-man at it's core is a story about doing the right thing when that's the hardest possible thing to do. I feel like the MCU versions don't really convey that as well as, say, the Raimi films.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many different Spider-Man incarnations that I really don't care about this one being different. As far as I'm concerned, I've seen the Uncle Ben story too many times. If they weren't going to heavily change things and integrate him into the MCU, there was absolutely no point in a third reboot at all.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
she's not even named Mary Jane and she's the best on screen version we've gotten. Michelle is such a great character.

I love the changes they've made. most of them make sense, like him not being able to conceal his secret identity from the people close to him or even just someone with some general sense like Vulture. "oh spider man was in DC? that's odd. oh Peter was conspicuously absent when spider man showed up? hmmmmmmmm". just makes more sense for the semi-grounded MCU. also Aunt May is amazing. May being grandmother age was always fucking weird, she's supposed to be Peter's mother figure in life.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It annoys me how obsessed the MCU Spider-man movies are with Iron Man. I want one MCU Spider-movie that features zero Avengers references or characters. Just Spider-man in NYC doing his thing.
I actually think the worst part about Homecoming was the absolute lack of Avengers and the fact it took so long for Tony to ever show up. All this crazy shit is going down and no other hero ever responds to the call? Crazy. The fact that the new movies clearly exist in a world where there are Avengers and yet they basically never chip in is a major failing of the first movie. I do get why they want some separation, but it just feels very off in practice. I also thought the way they made Happy so over the top useless/dumb in the first one was pretty silly too. FFH improves over Homecoming in just about every way for me.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I don't like about MCU Spidey is the CG enhancements they insist on using for the suit. The suit looks better w/out it

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
They clearly made strides to make these movies considerably different than the Spider-Men movies that have come before but tbh I miss the classic stuff that you only get a glimpse of at the end of FFH. Not the biggest fan of the dynamics of Peters personal life but appreciate them going for something else none the less. I'm sure they'll get back to formula Spidey by the third movie

Their best inclusion has been Ned imo

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
One thing I don't get is this idea that Spider-Man is ALWAYS in financial troubles.

And I blame Raimi for that, he constantly depicts Peter at the worst possible situation for cheap drama . And no. That's not how it works, he has good times and bad times financially, like every normal person.

Hell I was reading the classic comics the other day and realized he solved his and Aunt May's money problems for a whole year by issue #2.

unknown.png

We see Peter in a bad time in Civil War, but in Homecoming, they're doing a little better.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Took me a while to even realize what you were talking about

• Iron Man: pre-Civil War Tony and Peter were BFFs anyway. Hell, a lot of what made Civil War/One More Day happen was that Peter had latched on to Tony so much. This isn't even a change
  • Uncle Ben: I'm a bit torn on this. On the one hand, the complete lack of mentioning him makes me wonder if Sony never signed over the rights to that character or something else stupid. But after seeing the same origin story so many times, I am good with not focusing on it. And if we can get similar beats with a character the audience is already invested in? Even better
  • Michelle/MJ: This I think was pure genius and may be one of my favorite things about the MCU Spidey. She is a fun character that works well in the universe and films. She has some elements of Watson and some of Ultimate Gwen Stacey but is her own character. And because "she isn't really MJ" we can get an interesting POC rather than a boring damsel with minimal uproar.

In terms of a lasting universe there are obvious problems. But the things that made Ultimate Spider-Man (comics) and Spectacular Spider-Man (show) so amazing were that they didn't worry about that. Tell the stories you want to tell. Use legacy characters and lore as shortcuts. But feel free to flush it if it gets too convoluted (or you get cancelled)

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm digging it. The movies are snappy and fun in both writing and acting, something I didn't feel quite as much in other Spider-Man movies. I don't mind the liberties with the story, they work really well and I'm happy things aren't 1:1 with the comics.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and the changes they made to Mysterio don't even feel like changes, that's how well they pulled off Mysterio. if he were to exist in 2019 this is how he'd be, he'd have a team of people and be more of a modern special effects guru. him walking around in a mocap suit with the fish bowl helmet on is just about the most perfect thing to exist in a super hero movie in terms of updating a beloved villain.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
This ain't your dad's Spider-man. Adapt or go read comics from the 60's!

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It annoys me how obsessed the MCU Spider-man movies are with Iron Man. I want one MCU Spider-movie that features zero Avengers references or characters. Just Spider-man in NYC doing his thing.

This is really the one thing I just do not need at all. We got a ton of those already, the whole point now is that we finally have Spider Man in a "Marvel universe," not just a Spider Man one. Leverage the hell out of that, please. Ya don't need to be gratuitous, but what they've done so far is pitch perfect. Having Tony as a mentor makes all the sense in the world for what we know about this Peter and this universe, and I think it was a wonderful inclusion. Uncle Ben was his catalyst, but Tony connects so much more to the "super hero" portion of his life. He's still a kid, he's gonna latch on to father figures, especially ones that epitomize this whole side of his reality.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
We see Peter in a bad time in Civil War, but in Homecoming, they're doing a little better.

Post-Snap it's implied the Parker's are financially recovering from coming back, and might have been temporarily homeless. It'd be really shitty for Spider-man to come back and none of the Avengers helped him out when Thanos is defeated.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dislike it. I find MCU spidey and whole of it much more annoying. Spiderverse do it way better if we talk about Spiderman changes.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to make a Spidey without Uncle Ben, make a Spidey without Uncle Ben. Don't make a Spidey with Uncle Ben then refuse to say the man's name or address his death ever.

I also hate that Peter's the only MCU character with a franchise bearing his name that isn't allowed to stand on his own damn feet. Everything is about Tony Stark.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I'm not a fan of the "pop culture reference, old people are old aren't they" humor and how "oh geez oh wow" they're playing him in the suit.

I'm fine with Michelle as Mary Jane Watson wasn't supposed to be Peter's first love anyway, that was something that bugged me about the Raimi movies later on. She doesn't act like Mary Jane at all, either; it's an OC with the same nickname.

Oct 25, 2017
He had Ben and he had Tony. Just because Ben didn't literally die seconds ago and they aren't constantly crying about him doesn't mean he didn't exist.
No, I'm saying he doesn't exist because they've never mentioned him out loud ever.

And the difference between our arguments is that I don't have to be hyperbolic to make my point.