• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Holland is a great Spider-man... but I feel that there is a lot missing in his home life.

Even May finding out he's Spider-man should have some INCREDIBLY HIGH emotional moments for May. Like a shot of her watching the news and stressing out knowing her nephew is overseas fighting elemental monsters. Or Peter having lots or problems and reaching out to her for a proper pep talk.

The Raimi movies aren't perfect, but Uncle Ben and Aunt May were his foundation for heroism in all things.

Like, there is NOTHING in the MCU Spider-man remotely close to this yet.

that scene is so good. especially how the films build up to it and reinforce what it means to be responsible and doing the right thing. i really wish more super hero movies understood that an emotional core helps a lot.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Every cartoon, every movie, every comic with a new writer is a different take on the character where certain things change and certain things stay the same.

It only makes sense that the Spider-Man who joined the MCU is heavily involved with Iron Man and the Avengers, much like the original Spider-Man from the comics was heavily involved with the Fantastic Four. In fact, I think Feige has actually explained that on the record before.

MCU Spidey is great.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Holland is incessantly whiny and I swear if he brings that bullshit to Uncharted, fuck Sony
- MJ is a dud of a personality and I don't even get where that love story blossomed from
- Uncle Ben is done dirty
- Hot Aunt May trope is atrocious
- I'm bored of every reboot showing a younger Peter Parker
- I have yet to see any signs of his genius intellect or tinkering (ON HIS OWN)
- Everything is rosy and happy in his personal/social life

Apart from Mysterio (which was excellent), I have no positive things about the MCU portrayal.
Hot takes the post.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i do find it weird aunt may turned into "hot aunt may". she is supossed to be emotional support and guidance but they just made her into a person who all the adults oggle. kind of weird. i don't see what the point of her character is. then again, the side characters don't seem to be all that well written in respect to what they movie is trying to convey.

Oct 27, 2017
Replaces Uncle Ben with Tony is wack. I really hate how domesticated and cleaned up Tony has been for the MCU and turning Spidey into his little follower is the worst part of it. As if Spidey's story wasn't interesting enough so they had to hang his existence on Iron Man/RDJ to bring in viewers. But this is a typical complaint when it comes to shared universes. Characters have to be dumbed down in order to fit in with all of these other characters realities.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I really hope the next movie has as little Tony Stark reference as possible. I'm kind of annoyed we still haven't really gotten a self-contained Spider-Man story in the MCU. It's just been Spider-Man as he fits in the MCU so far. He isn't really a traditional "Avengers" character in the same way Cap, Iron Man and Thor are (in terms of comics, etc.), so I really wish he could have a chance to stand on his own more.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
- Holland is incessantly whiny and I swear if he brings that bullshit to Uncharted, fuck Sony
- MJ is a dud of a personality and I don't even get where that love story blossomed from

Apart from Mysterio (which was excellent), I have no positive things about the MCU portrayal.

lmao ok

MJ is easily one of the best characters in the Spider-Man movies, but go off.

He's died twice, third time isn't the charm. Don't think we need to see this AGAIN for a THIRD time. In the same fashion, we don't need to see how the Fantastic Four got their powers all over again for a third time when that movie happens. Once again, go off, I guess.

Nah, she's great.

Once again, Holland is still the best Peter Parker.

Did you watch Far From Home..? The Multiverse conversation? Him remaking the new suit? We serious right now?

Did.. we.. watch the same Far From Home movie.. or?

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm fine with there being multiple takes on Spider-Man and this one works in well with the MCU that already existed for like 8 years(?) Before he even showed up.

I do kind of have an issue with this MJ in that they spend so much time making her sarcastic and quirky that I feel like they've forgotten to make her likable. Like aside from telling Peter he looks pretty, have we ever seen her be genuinely nice to anyone?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Agreed on all but Uncle Ben. I think it is fine to not have him. They just didn't replace him with anything good.

Holland is a great actor. Hell, most of them are great. I just wish they had better/more interesting scripts.
I don't mind them not showing his death or anything. But a passing reference or something to denote him missing the most important father figure in his life is just terrible writing.

His entire plan with Ned added no value to FFH. Imagine that scene with him telling Aunt May his plan and ask if she think Uncle Ben would approve?

But the only reference was a suitcase he clearly did not care about and was a joke at the end of FFH.

Meh. I am not a fan of Holland as an actor.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Aunt May doesn't care about losing the suitcse...odd
Also, Ben has been dead for a year and she's ready to move on so quickly?????? In Spectacular Spider-Man, she wasn't

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
holland is perfect casting, but MCU spidey is devoid of almost all of the non-cosmetic elements that make spidey who he is

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
These mcu spiderman movies feel like a slog similar to spider man 3. They have some cool action and moments at times but I dont find myself wanting to rewatch them like the 1st 2 raimi films. I watched those films like 20 times each minimum.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
`1. What are the rumors of Osborn coming?
2.Yeeah, not a fan of the huge iron man influence

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
They know movie audiences are getting bored of the old Spidey tropes (specifically his origin story), so changing the formula is a breath of fresh air. The Amazing movies were rough.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aunt May doesn't care about losing the suitcse...odd
Also, Ben has been dead for a year and she's ready to move on so quickly?????? In Spectacular Spider-Man, she wasn't
Ben has been dead for well over a year. How the hell do you not realize this?

Also, the suitcase was Parker's, not hers to worry about. Plus she is just thankful he is back safe and sound. It's a possession, not the actual person. Sure it would suck to lose but in the bigger scheme of things the person's memory is what matters.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Ben has been dead for well over a year. How the hell do you not realize this?

Also, the suitcase was Parker's, not hers to worry about. Plus she is just thankful he is back safe and sound. It's a possession, not the actual person. Sure it would suck to lose but in the bigger scheme of things the person's memory is what matters.
Hasn't Peter been Spider-Man for only like a year? He was 15 in homecoming/civil war and was just starting out and is 16 now, correct?

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
MCU changes are good because it makes the movies interesting as movies, comics need to be *adapted* to be good movies. Especially when there are so many other versions of the characters in modern cinema.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Why would Peter or Aunt May freak out over a non important suitcase?

Not like its a precious or valuable item of Ben's.
... Because the director stated the suitcase was supposed to be symbolic of him literally carrying the baggage of what happened to Uncle Ben around with him everywhere in FFH.

But for it to be impactful, he needs to care about it being lost.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't Peter been Spider-Man for only like a year? He was 15 in homecoming/civil war and was just starting out and is 16 now, correct?

Peter began as Spider-Man pre-Civil War which was 2016 which means he could have potentially started in 2015 considering he had a following online. Homecoming was in 2017. Infinity War happened in 2018. And Far From Home takes place in 2023, weeks or a month after Endgame.

So in total not counting the snap he's potentially been Spider-Man for close to 4 years.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
How much time elapsed, in universe, between Homecoming and Infinity war?
Well, Homecoming fucked up the timeline by stating it was 8 years after the New York attack, which would put Homecoming in 2020, which is obviously not true.

Pretty sure Homecoming is supposed to be set in 2017 and Infinity War is 2018.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Homecoming fucked up the timeline by stating it was 8 years after the New York attack, which would put Homecoming in 2020, which is obviously not true.

Pretty sure Homecoming is supposed to be set in 2017 and Infinity War is 2018.

Homecoming is 2017. The 8 years later was a mistake they have admitted.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It works wonders for me. I'd personally be disappointed if we had to run through all of the baseline Spidey stuff yet again. Recent Spidey media has done a great job about avoiding this: Spidey game is a seasoned take, nearly a decade on the job; Spider-Verse focuses on Miles, and Peter's handling (both versions) are also seasoned and well beyond the initial angst thrust and teenage years; MCU Spidey's supporting cast is shaken up to make his teenage years carry a different vibe that's not so dour, and to me at least, it feels like Peter is able to come through more as a self-sufficient good person than a guilt-driven good person -- I love that MCU Spidey is a rookie and a youngster that isn't giving vibes of being overburdened, and being able to brush shoulders with the Avengers early on has helped with that a lot, I feel.

I love it.

I got a lot of respect for the more traditional permutations, too, but they're well-tread and I'm loathe to imagine how samesy and unflatteringly familiar it would feel if it were all the same ol' story again.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People rag on Raimi's spidermans organic shooters for downplaying Pete's intellect.

But seem to have no issue with Iron Man/SHIELD basically supplying him with super suits. I also miss the "poor" aspect of his character. Raimi's peter parker was perhaps the most relatable super hero we have.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
These Spider-Man movies seem to be screwing up thier timing. It makes no sense for Peter to be 16.

Looking at the MCU wiki, Homecoming takes place in September 2016, Infinity War is mid(?)-2018.

Last edited:

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uncle Ben was always so one dimensional. He just dies and then is held in high regard forever. We understand his importance to Peter but he doesnt really matter to most of the readers

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the MCU wiki, Homecoming takes place in September 2016, Endgame is mid(?)-2018.
You mean Infinity War, not Endgame.
People rag on Raimi's spidermans organic shooters for downplaying Pete's intellect.

But seem to have no issue with Iron Man/SHIELD basically supplying him with super suits. I also miss the "poor" aspect of his character. Raimi's peter parker was perhaps the most relatable super hero we have.
MCU Spider-Man still developed his web-shooters, eye protection, webbing, etc. Stark just took those designs and ran with it. The stuff SHIELD gave him was just an outfit, nothing super about it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The "She's MJ, but not Mary Jane" thing is dumb. And they basically ditched it by the time of Far From Home.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Michelle is the best part of MCU Spider-Man
Gonna have to agree with this. I just saw Far from home last night

These MCU Spider-Man movies are overly referential in my opinion. It's a known thing of course that it is part of a shared universe, but the other films in the franchise have standalone stories told that don't have to always have narrative reminders of the bigger story the movie is a part of, it that makes sense.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
F telling the same tired story beats over and over. Ben out? Great. Iron Man in? Hell yeah.

Go rewatch/reread the old movies/comics if you want the old shit.

Oct 26, 2017

A problem I have with MCU Spidey is that he is still supposed to be super smart....yet I never feel like he is. As someone else pointed out, he developed a lot of his own shit. This is probably just another issue with tying him so heavily to Tony Stark. Peter is overshadowed.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I truly feel sorry for you if think that someone can only have a true father figure.
Agreed. As someone who had to deal with the death of their adoptive father, and my father-in-law (who was amazing and basically another adoptive father), there is not some sort of "oh this only hurts once" or limit of love you can have in your life for someone you view as a father figure/role model.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I don't like is that it feels like 90% of what makes spiderman, spiderman is the suit rather than the whole radioactive spider part. It's a general problem with the MCU, given the fact that Tony has made hundreds of Iron Man suits and it doesn't take any special abilities to wear one.

Oct 27, 2017
Best Spider-Man ever put in film and it's not close.

Yes there are changes but the archetypes are all still there.

It's nice having a Spider-Man who actually LIKES being Spider-Man.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Most of the changes are based on things that have happened in the comics at one time or another anyway. So whatever.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I don't like is that it feels like 90% of what makes spiderman, spiderman is the suit rather than the whole radioactive spider part. It's a general problem with the MCU, given the fact that Tony has made hundreds of Iron Man suits and it doesn't take any special abilities to wear one.
This seems like a wild take. Like the suit doesn't give him his agility, let alone his strength or spider sense. Maybe it is just the way you interpret what is presented to you, but really 80% of what Spider-Man does is because of his powers.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Give me that Live Action Spiderverse film with Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland. You can throw in Emma Stone as Spidergwen and bring back Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane. Have the movie cut to an increasingly confused and increasingly frustrated J. K. Simmons.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my least favourite interpretation of the character. Especially when you compare it to the very recent releases of Insomniac's Spider-Man and Into the Spider-Verse. Both of which are miles above what the MCU has produced thus far.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Here's where I'm at (in yet another thread. Am I part of the problem?):

Here's Peter Parker, divorced, high school science teacher, explaining to Aunt May what Ben's death did to him:
8fe692ec16e6ee9b8d0df7905373ec70.jpg

Apologies for the image quality, this is the only one from this comic I could find.

Ben's death wasn't trivial, clearly. He's still dealing with it, even as a grown man. To me it's central to his character. It's more important than quips and getting to play in the big leagues, certainly, because he keeps coming back to it.

So, while it's great to have him back again and to see him occupying a universe with the rest of the Marvel Pantheon, I just wish he wasn't besmirched by a corporate mandate to have Iron Man™ heavily associated with him. At the very least mention Ben by name. In one scene.