• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
didn't like the show as a follow up to BTAS that much but that theme and intro was dope.

people are so against edge these days that they've veered almost entirely against it. shits fine in small-medium doses. kinda wish we got some more popular media in that vein again

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the dance part always threw me off. Loved everything else about it.

Still think it's one of, if not the, best Batman iterations out there.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I love this fucking show to death. How it got made, and somehow was able to be so good is completely confounding. Pattinson would've been a great Terry.

Oct 28, 2017
i'd always assumed every night club in batman beyond was how my 20's was gonna be

lmfao, i couldnt have been more incorrect

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the dancing part was dumb as hell.

Fantastic show though.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was my ring tone for a long time.

I binged a couple weeks ago on DCU and it still holds up. Great show.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would pay so much money for a live action version of Batman Beyond with Michael Keaton as old Bruce Wayne.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Earthmover.png

I still think about him from time to time.

Non-death but also just as disturbing.

Bet that scene was responsible for more than a few awkward sexual awakenings. Still, not as disturbing as what became of her partner, William H. Macy.

she only gave him half the treatment :(

Oct 27, 2017
I really want them to do a set of films in the batman beyond universe. I think DC should have taken a break from this iteration of Bats and gone Beyond for a few films then come back and done the backstory for old bruce as a new set of original batman films as a reboot.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, was above the whole edgy thing at that time. The intro theme wasn't my style (kinda leaning to Nu Metal territory). That aside, the cartoon itself was fuckin' AWESOME!

Oct 25, 2017
It's subtle and it's not like perfectly executed but I think they cut a good line between Terry just generally being a nicer person than Bruce but also having just a different set of moral values because he grew up in a legit dystopian future.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batman Beyond was one of those shows that even as a kid, you could appreciate the quality and recognize it was better than most cartoons at the time. Even today it's surprising just how good it is.

I really need to get TAS and Beyond home copies because I could watch those shows constantly.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Batman Beyond and Men in Black on Kids WB. Intros that were just the absolute coolest. Looking back, yeah, they can be a bit much and are mostly of their time, but I don't even give a shit because to this day I will bop my head to them.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have banged my head to that song more than once, and occasionally still do. No shame. Batman Beyond is fantastic, as is all the Timm/Dini stuff.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is this worth watching now? I never saw it growing up, and the premise always intrigued me when heating about it.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
What was it with the intros from that era? Same vibes from these two:

I honestly can't say I was a fan of that period of animation. It was like the middle between the more human proportioned cartoons of the 80s and the more super stylized stuff of nowadays, under a layer of muted color grit. Are both of those cartoons done by the same art team? The eyes are getting me. They have very strange Klasky-Csupo eyes.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I would kill someone for a live action version of Batman Beyond (or a videogame!). It's a damn good premise, it deserves more.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
Just like how BTAS had a weird anachronistic 40s aesthetic, so too does Beyond have a retrofuturistic late 90s vibe

And it is glorious. That opening shot of Gotham holds up well.

It wasn't that anachronistic if you take for a fact that Gotham is a stand-in for actual New York, though. "Art Deco" (the official name for the aesthetic, if you were unfamiliar and curious) is all over New York, and as an aesthetic, it constistently keeps popping up everywhere since its 40's heydey, in a ton of different disciplines.

Architecture, obviously, but also in fashion, video-games, movies and other visual media because of how dramatic and distinct it is. My own introduction to it as a child was that Batman show, and I've had a fondness for it ever since (though it took many years until I learnt that it wasn't specifically made for the show).

I suspect younger people might have first really experienced it in stuff like "Bioshock" (which in turn borrows from specific New York-landmarks like the Chrysler-building and the Rockefeller building/mural).

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't that anachronistic if you take for a fact that Gotham is a stand-in for actual New York, though. "Art Deco" (the official name for the aesthetic, if you were unfamiliar and curious) is all over New York, and as an aesthetic, it constistently keeps popping up everywhere since its 40's heydey, in a ton of different disciplines.

Architecture, obviously, but also in fashion, video-games, movies and other visual media because of how dramatic and distinct it is. My own introduction to it as a child was that Batman show, and I've had a fondness for it ever since (though it took many years until I learnt that it wasn't specifically made for the show).

I suspect younger people might have first really experienced it in stuff like "Bioshock" (which in turn borrows from specific New York-landmarks like the Chrysler-building and the Rockefeller building/mural).
True, but in the first three seasons, all the tv screens were black and white even though there were instances of more modern tech. Same with the tommy guns and clothing. Since it's the same continuity as the fourth season and the Justice League shows. That art deco aesthetic went beyond the architecture.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
True, but in the first three seasons, all the tv screens were black and white even though there were instances of more modern tech. Same with the tommy guns and clothing. Since it's the same continuity as the fourth season and the Justice League shows. That art deco aesthetic went beyond the architecture.

Sure, and it's a fair point that I didn't think too much about when I replied. The art-deco stuff kinda catches most of the initial attention that maybe you don't think too much about the finer details "in-universe", and how they don't make coherent sense.

Maybe the dreamlike Burton-movies - that are so stylized that they're almost impossible to anchor down, other than "maybe in the 80's, kinda" -made the production-team behind the cartoon more open to mix aspects of different, adjacent eras for dramatic effect.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved it despite it's major lack of subtlety.