• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm selfish because I dont want to rearrange my entire living setup with 2 children under three and make my living room my bedroom and bedroom my living room because that's the only place my router can be in my apartment.

Oh you're right how selfish of me...

power line adapter is the way to go. unless you don't have a power point in your house?
otherwise stick to mario party online

Oct 25, 2017
very essential, I got one and it's great. Do it for others as well.

It is a big deal, anyone saying otherwise doesn't understand how important it is.

I use a power line adapter and it's black magic.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo could run dedicated server for a game this popular.. What a shame
This wouldn't magically fix things. And also aren't most fighting games P2P?

An adapter is absolutely a must-buy. Difference is drastic. You still have to deal with others on Wifi, but at least you won't be the one causing all the delay when the enemy is wired.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This wouldn't magically fix things. And also aren't most fighting games P2P?

An adapter is absolutely a must-buy. Difference is drastic. You still have to deal with others on Wifi, but at least you won't be the one causing all the delay when the enemy is wired.

I thought dedicated server always been the best solution? I mean, I can't be the only one thinking Nintendo went the cheap route dismissing this possibility right?

Feels like they don't give a crap and believed millions of costumer were to buy a third party plastic adapter. That's just ridiculous...

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After buying an 3.0 ethernet adapter and new CAT 6 after a week I havent noticed much different. Kind of just keeing it in just because

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
How essential? None. Because the number of wired connections is a drop in a bucket compared to the wifi warriors and since it's peer too peer you're all leveled down to the guy with the worst connection. Waste of money.

ShinNoNoir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I thought dedicated server always been the best solution? I mean, I can't be the only one thinking Nintendo went the cheap route dismissing this possibility right?
Dedicated servers are not a silver bullet and won't be necessarily the best solution for all situations. For example, in a 1v1 match:

P2P: Player A <---> Player B
Dedicated server: Player A <---> server <---> Player B

Here, the server could potentially add more delay to the process of delivering game state update messages to A and B.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel it's on Nintendo's part for making the netcode so bad. I can play everything else just fine through WiFi on the switch.

Ranmo

Oct 26, 2017
Most of my games are pretty solid experiences. Every 3 games out of 10 or so will probably run into someone with really bad net. If your wi-fi is solid you really should not need an adapter and as others have said you're gonna get bottle necked if the person you're playing against doesn't have good net. I'd only suggest the adapter if your Wi-Fi is shotty and you're attempting to improve your connection.

Nov 1, 2017
The connection will be as slow as the weakest link in the chain. If 3 people are using ethernet but one person is on terrible Wifi it's not going to make much difference. Unless you plan to private match (although can you even do that?) with friends who are also exclusively using ethernet adapters?

For all the song and dance Nintendo made about saying we should go out and get one of these to play online they should have created an option to only be matched up by connection type but that was a pipe dream considering we cant even specify a preferred game mode and have it be actually applied to the multiplayer lobbies.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Dedicated servers are not a silver bullet and won't be necessarily the best solution for all situations. For example, in a 1v1 match:

Here, the server could potentially add more delay to the process of delivering game state update messages to A and B.
The thing with dedicated serves is that is often punishes the person with worse connection. It depends on the game but often that is the case. Which is good. Having a bad connection should not be an advantage.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
not essential, have worked pretty fine over wifi with me and I live in a banana republic with shit speeds at outrageous prices.

as many have pointed out, its a handheld, having it wont ensure your opponent does.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
it's been fine for me i think. i'm not gonna buy an adapter because there was absolutely no reason for nintendo not to have an ethernet port on the dock. if they wanted me to use ethernet for smash so bad, then they shoulda added the port like every other console has had since the early 2000s. 🙄

J75

Sep 29, 2018
So I'm selfish because I dont want to rearrange my entire living setup with 2 children under three and make my living room my bedroom and bedroom my living room because that's the only place my router can be in my apartment.

Oh you're right how selfish of me...
I pretty much have this exact same issue, my router is in a pretty inconvenient area. I also have a power line adapter that i was planning to use for my ps4 but i could not get it to work for the life of me. Maybe is due to my house being pretty old, i've heard that is a problem with power lines.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't bother plugging my WiiU ethernet adapter yet and I still managed to have lagless 1v1 matches with other europeans.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the sake of everyone ever playing an online game on any platform:
PLEASE use a wired connection. Wireless can still cause packageloss and the WiFi in the Switch isn't that great on top of that.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you actually have good wifi it's not really necessary, i get plenty of smooth 1v1s just using a 5GHz wifi network

most people have garbage routers their ISP gave them tho

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Ok i can see what you mean.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
Please, get one. I've had so many matches that were slide shows and it looks like the opponent is just use to it.

I bought one for my Wii and its still working till this day.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Is there any Digital Foundry style analysis about the impact of WiFi on multiplayer?

Pinging my router over WiFi always shows under 1ms of latency. I've played for years on PS3 and PS4 over WiFi and my multiplayer experience has always seemed lag-free, unless the server is at least 80ms, or so, away.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting one myself, my switch is practically touching my router and my internet is pretty good. In order to use it I'd need to get the adapter and an ethernet splitter and that's more than I'm willing to pay, especially since 75% of the 300 or so matches I've played online so far have been as good as melee netplay on my wired pc. That 25% that has lag sucks, but it's not worth my time or money to try to fix it, particularly when the problem won't go away if other people don't do it too.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just not playing online. It's ridiculous that this is require. Online play is not new, and has been solved by other games.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just not playing online. It's ridiculous that this is require. Online play is not new, and has been solved by other games.
It's not required, if you have a good internet connection and a decent wifi router it should not be an issue. A wired connection will typically have less issues but it's not a miracle solution that will give lagless matches to everyone. People are kinda using magical thinking here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I've use exclusively wifi and I have had zero lag issues since the day after launch. But, I do have great internet, my router is right next to my Switch, and I don't have much traffic using my wifi.

EDIT: Wait...this is a gaming board...and there are people with 2.4 ghz wifi? As long as 5 ghz and 802ac has been out?

giphy.gif

For the sake of everyone ever playing an online game on any platform:
PLEASE use a wired connection. Wireless can still cause packageloss and the WiFi in the Switch isn't that great on top of that.

Pretty sure there are wired users that have worse lag issues than wireless. And going by this thread, I'm sure that my wifi blows away most of the wired internet people on their day one ISP routers.

Last edited:

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the 4 player matches I've had while in handheld mode were pretty flawless. Funny enough though, when I dock the console and go for 1v1s I've had more bad experiences than good ones. That being said, if you aren't confident at all in your wifi, please do get a adapter for when you play docked.

Even worse is local wireless, like what's up with that? I'm right in front of my friend and for some reason we have legit awful lag. We had to switch to using our phone's hotspots and playing online that way even though that's backwards as heck. I'm incredibly disappointed in the local wireless man. :/

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please, get one. I've had so many matches that were slide shows and it looks like the opponent is just use to it.

I bought one for my Wii and its still working till this day.
Its probably flat out that your or opponents internet is shitty. I know yall hate it but most of you probably have bad internet. An ethernet adapter isn't going to fix that.

Oct 30, 2017
Kind of off topic is the WiFi chip the same in all Switches or has Nintnedo improved it for Switches manufactured after a certain date

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Its probably flat out that you or your opponents internet is shitty. I know yall hate it but most of you probably have bad internet. An ethernet adapter isn't going to fix that.

Yes I think this thread proves that. If you aren't running speed and ping test at least monthly, and making sure your router is up to par (read: not a cheap router given by 99% of ISPs)...it isn't going to come close to someone with modern internet devices and a good wired connection both around your house and all the way to the hub your ISP runs in your neighborhood. I've had several issues with my internet in the past that has affected my entire apartment building, and the ISP thought I was exaggerating my issues because no one else in the building reported anything.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Played about 30 matches with my friend who's in Canada (I'm in the US), and only had one small lag spike which made it slow down for about 3 seconds, otherwise it was completely playable and almost felt like we were on the same system. I dunno what he was on, but I was on 5G WiFi through a ton of walls (lag spike surely was me because the room I was in sucks for Wifi). We also both have 100Mbps+ internet.

So, for me anyways, it's not really needed. (I have an TP-Link Archer C9 if anyone wants to know).

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I've been playing on WiFi for the past few days and I haven't really had a problem at all. It's been pretty much perfect. Have some of you tried since after the patch?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
After buying an 3.0 ethernet adapter and new CAT 6 after a week I havent noticed much different. Kind of just keeing it in just because

Until we get conclusive tests, I'm calling it placebo.

The inherent latency from WiFi is quite low, especially at 5GHz. If 5GHz isn't available to you and you're using 2.4GHz in a very crowded space it might be noticeable, but for anyone living in a house with a fairly isolated network you're not going to notice anything.

Also, those going to Powerline Ethernet...you might be making things worse. Powerline Ethernet is incredibly noisy, and the connection can be exceedingly poor depending on your house's wiring. Just because it's going through wires does not make it better.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I assume most people base this on 1v1 matches because very rarely have i ever seen footage where people successful play lag free 4 player matches.

As in fluid gameplay comparable to 1v1.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really sad that everyone is basically excusing the fact that Nintendo seems to be unable to make a multiplayer game work on modern wireless networks, especially on a system who's selling point is portability, with the answer being "buy an adapter and wire in". It's just not right

Hopefully things smooth out after initial launch bumpiness
Nintendo can't defy the laws of physics dude.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao yall srs on playing using ethernet adapter? Im not going back to early 2000s to play smash in 2018. Blame nintendo for shitty online service.