• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
After the latest patch, I've played just fine with online friends and I use my 5 Ghz Wifi with hardly any lag. It all just depends on how fast your internet speed and everyone else's are.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao yall srs on playing using ethernet adapter? Im not going back to early 2000s to play smash in 2018. Blame nintendo for shitty online service.
It's a fighting game dude. It's not
Lol, yea. The ethernet adapter should go into the back area of the switch dock near the power cable and the HDMI port. No need to choose between a Smash adapter and the LAN adapter. You can use both.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
The LAN Adapter has caused more harm than good, for me. I get a lower ping and less latency/lag when on my Wireless Connection. When connected directly to Ethernet via the official/Hori LAN Adapter, I'm getting more frame drops and the connection is less stable (disconnects are happening frequently). I'm using an ASUS RT-AC86U router with a Gigabit connection (1Gbps) - I tested directly from router to Switch and still experienced the same issues (even with DMZ enabled for the Switch). Wifi has been stable as hell for me (5GHz with 10 devices connected to it, on average).

I would argue that it would depend on your network and hardware. Ethernet is almost 99.99% better in every situation. That's why I was surprised that I've been having more issues with a direct connection than through WiFi.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Hold up. I purchased a switch for my kids for Christmas. I have not opened it. Are you telling me there's no ethernet port built in and I need to buy an adapter? This will be going on the third floor where wifi is a bit spotty.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
Hold up. I purchased a switch for my kids for Christmas. I have not opened it. Are you telling me there's no ethernet port built in and I need to buy an adapter? This will be going on the third floor where wifi is a bit spotty.

Yes, there is no built-in ethernet port. You have to use one of the three USB ports of the Switch dock to use the Ethernet adapter. If Wireless is spotty, then you'll most likely want this unless they're going to be playing closer to the wireless network's reach while in handheld mode.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
my wifi sucks but otoh the lag is causing me to win all my competitive matches so i'm not complaining

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That's right, but good adapters are cheap at least.

A lot of 1v1 matches have been alright with or without my adapter because my personal WiFi is solid, but 4 players matches are as terrible as they were on the 3DS Smash.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
People claiming using wired doesn't matter if your opponent/opponents are on wifi are not correct. Your wifi connection can degrade if you're living in an area with dense concentration of wifi radio signals or there are other wifi devices in your house pegging your router. Using a wired connection will eliminate wifi connection issues on your end. Even if you're the only person in the house using wifi, it will still give you worse packet loss/ping jitter than a wired connection.

I've use exclusively wifi and I have had zero lag issues since the day after launch. But, I do have great internet, my router is right next to my Switch, and I don't have much traffic using my wifi.

Proximity of your Switch to the router doesn't make a big of a difference as you might think. It won't solve competing radio signals or other interference. I had my PC running on wifi physically next to my router for a time and my multiplayer matches would go to shit if someone in another part of the house began streaming Netflix.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Yes, there is no built-in ethernet port. You have to use one of the three USB ports of the Switch dock to use the Ethernet adapter. If Wireless is spotty, then you'll most likely want this unless they're going to be playing closer to the wireless network's reach while in handheld mode.

Oh ok, thanks. The dock is just for displaying the content on TV? Is the HDD, processor, etc., in the handheld part?

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel it's on Nintendo's part for making the netcode so bad. I can play everything else just fine through WiFi on the switch.
Have you tried other fighting games on the Switch? Because syncing an online fighting game is not comparable to syncing a shooter or a racing game.

Dropped frames in non-fighting-game genres are dealt with very differently.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Until we get conclusive tests, I'm calling it placebo.

The inherent latency from WiFi is quite low, especially at 5GHz. If 5GHz isn't available to you and you're using 2.4GHz in a very crowded space it might be noticeable, but for anyone living in a house with a fairly isolated network you're not going to notice anything.

Also, those going to Powerline Ethernet...you might be making things worse. Powerline Ethernet is incredibly noisy, and the connection can be exceedingly poor depending on your house's wiring. Just because it's going through wires does not make it better.
I was thinking the same thing. Powerline adapters are probably more stable as far as a consistent connection for computers and such but connecting a cable into an adapter isn't the same as connecting it directly into the (wireless) modem.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
The first few matches I played in handheld mode were 4 player matches and the lag was horrendous.

I switched to docked with ethernet which doubled my speed from 32 mbps down to 75 mbps down. Upload stayed at 10. After doing so the lag was still horrendous in 4 player matches. One match was entirely in slow motion. I played a few 1v1 matches and some were fine and some were terrible as well. The game will literally stop at some points.

happynaut

Jan 22, 2018
Yesterday I had my first online match. It was horrible when it comes to lag. I'll better buy an ethernet adapter.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People claiming using wired doesn't matter if your opponent/opponents are on wifi are not correct. Your wifi connection can degrade if you're living in an area with dense concentration of wifi radio signals or there are other wifi devices in your house pegging your router. Using a wired connection will eliminate wifi connection issues on your end. Even if you're the only person in the house using wifi, it will still give you worse packet loss/ping jitter than a wired connection.

Proximity of your Switch to the router doesn't make a big of a difference as you might think. It won't solve competing radio signals or other interference. I had my PC running on wifi physically next to my router for a time and my multiplayer matches would go to shit if someone in another part of the house began streaming Netflix.
Well how many people are living in dense concentration of wifi radio signals? No one knows this answer and everyone demands everyone to use a wire "just because" when it actually do anything.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually you can. You can create fault tolerant networking code rather than Nintendo's approach which is fully synchronous.
Would that work in a game like smash though where there's more to sync than in most games? Think about it, you have 4 characters plus items being thrown all over the screen at all times in 60fps. I'd imagine any sort of desyncing would cause some serious gameplay issues like warping around the stage.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
Powerline adapters are probably more stable as far as a consistent connection for computers and such but connecting a cable into an adapter isn't the same as connecting it directly into the (wireless) modem.

Powerline adapters are going to have higher latency, as the overhead required to deal with potential "noise" on the line is pretty high (7-10ms, in my experience). Powerline is mostly used for those who would rather have a wired connection in wifi-blackout spots. I've used them nearly exclusively for work - but, when it came to VoIP and gaming ... it was pretty disappointing. Skype was the only platform that could handle the latency without obvious issues (due to their proprietary codec, I'm guessing).

Oh ok, thanks. The dock is just for displaying the content on TV? Is the HDD, processor, etc., in the handheld part?

Yep, the dock is just for a connection to the television. The "bulk" of the console is the "tablet." As others have said, the ethernet adapters are relatively cheap ($15-30). As far as I know, they're not incredibly difficult to find in department stores (Wal*Mart, Target, etc - if you're in the US).

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
After buying an 3.0 ethernet adapter and new CAT 6 after a week I havent noticed much different. Kind of just keeing it in just because
This should be the case for most strong 5GHz signals. I bought mine because Splatoon 2 dropped 2 matches in the span of several days - which was probably over 100 matches - but I was otherwise fine on Wi-Fi. Just willing to pay extra to eliminate those few times something does go wrong.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried other fighting games on the Switch? Because syncing an online fighting game is not comparable to syncing a shooter or a racing game.

Arms is the only one and that didn't lag nearly as much.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Yes. The dock is essentially a charging station with HDMI out and a USB hub.

Yep, the dock is just for a connection to the television. The "bulk" of the console is the "tablet." As others have said, the ethernet adapters are relatively cheap ($15-30). As far as I know, they're not incredibly difficult to find in department stores (Wal*Mart, Target, etc - if you're in the US).

Thank you so much, and sorry for the thread derail.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wifi is solid(I'm right beside it and speeds and so on are excessive).

I am considering a lan adaptor but It'd be excessive.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

Hours and hours in Arms online on Switch entirely on WiFi. That game runs awesome online and I never had any issues. Granted, that majority of the time that was 1v1 with no items but I also played a fair bit of party mode with all types of crazy 3-4 player matches and very, very rarely had any issues with lag.

If Smash online sucks, it's cause we've seen it has always sucked and they still haven't got it right

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Well how many people are living in dense concentration of wifi radio signals? No one knows this answer and everyone demands everyone to use a wire "just because" when it actually do anything.
anyone living on apartments will have a dense concentration of wifi signals, not so much people are using 5Ghz Wifi, a lot of people just use the default router from the ISP.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I have decent enough wifi (nothing crazy) and I've had very little problem with lag. I do primarily play on quickplay co-op, which probably helps since it is always just my connection and one other persons, not 3-4.

That said, I've also played a fair bit of single player online. While I've had some lag, especially at launch, lately I've mostly been getting lag free matches.

If you have ok wifi and aren't super far from your router, you should likely be fine. I think it depends a lot on your own unique situation though. Might as well try it without it then buy one should you absolutely need to.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hours and hours in Arms online on Switch entirely on WiFi. That game runs awesome online and I never had any issues. Granted, that majority of the time that was 1v1 with no items but I also played a fair bit of party mode with all types of crazy 3-4 player matches and very, very rarely had any issues with lag.

If Smash online sucks, it's cause we've seen it has always sucked and they still haven't got it right

Basically. Damn shame cause it's the most fun I've had with the switch since owning one. Cmon Nintendo. Invest in dedis.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I feel like ARMS, while a great game, has less going on than smash, even in 4 player modes. Like, the hit boxes there can be a lot more generous and there's only one item at a time on screen at most. And it's far easier to hide dropped frames.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for the Ethernet adapter but my experience so far with online over WiFi is basically unplayable. I have not experienced this much lag in a game since the early online console days with PS2 and Xbox....no hyperbole

Whatever solution Nintendo/Bamco using, it is truly pathetic

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

If you live in an apartment, you're going to have overlapping wifi signals from a dozen other units. Even if you live a house alone, the increasing prevalence of smart devices, consoles, phones, etc running over wifi is going to divide your router's attention.

If you want more information, here are some articles I looked up the last time this thread made the 1st page:

ArsTechnica:
https://arstechnica.com/information...hat-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-kind-of-sucks/

TL;DR cliff notes of that article:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/5yd2l8/why_wifi_sucks_in_depth_article/

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
ERA thinks most people use wired connection and would even buy an adapter for that. What a bubble.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I find the wide variety of responses fascinating. Clearly a lot of it varies from person to person (internet speed, distance from router, apartment/house, types of walls, region of the country, etc). Speaks to how unreliable and variable WiFi connections are. I've had little to no lag (would probably rate online at about an 8-8.5 as an experience), while I see a large number of people screaming "unplayable"

I also guess sometimes it is just out of your hands, if you get paired with people who are playing on a 1mbps connection in a room with lead walls you will likely lag no matter how good your connection is.

Wish Smash had the feature a few other games have where it shows you the strength of your opponent when you get paired with them and you can evaluate whether to continue to the match or find a new person to play against (was it tennis that had that?).

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Totally unnecessary...as long as you don't play online.

If you do, play wired. It sounds heartless but the skips and the slight delay people get playing against you make a world of difference. Wireless can be fantastic, but LAN is consistent.

It just comes down to your level of regard for your opponents' online experience.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
The frame rate drops and input delay were drastically reduced after I switched to a wired connection. Do yourself a favor and get an adapter if you have terrible wifi. It's like twenty dollars

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

Yes I agree, which is why I don't have those interference issues. I even make sure I don't use Bluetooth in my room, and the structure of my apartment helps a ton. It also depends on the quality of your wifi routers.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you yourself have bad wifi, it would probably help. If you yourself have good wifi, it wouldn't make much of a difference. You'll still be held back by the weakest link, so if the person you're facing has a bad connection, then yours won't matter.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Again, dedicated servers aren't going to help with a fighting game. It adds more latency.

Why can't 1v1 be P2P but FFA be dedicated servers. Yeah it adds latency but added latency is better than unplayable laggy shit.
Most people playing FFA likely don't give a shit about having frame perfect inputs anyway but nobody wants to play Smash underwater or as a slideshow.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
Its probably flat out that your or opponents internet is shitty. I know yall hate it but most of you probably have bad internet. An ethernet adapter isn't going to fix that.
I'm pretty sure it's on their end or my fiber Internet isn't pulling it's weight. A LAN adapter can only help the situation.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
It's a prisoners dilemma. It's like public restrooms.

If I do a good just keeping the stall clean, but y'all come in here and shit all over without cleaning up, I'm going to get a shitty stall despite my best effort.

Basically, people who play fighting games on wifi are foul beasts who destroy public restrooms. :P

I always recommend ethernet, though it doesn't fix your opponent. You won't have frame drops anymore, but input delay still sucks ass. It's only an issue in Smash, though. Not SFV or Splatoon 2.

Personally I wish Smash and Splatoon 2 just gave you an option like Street Fighter V has to limit opponents based on their connection quality.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And I really can't be assed to spend another 30 bucks for an adapter. Should've just came with the dock like everybody else has been saying.