• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Could DirectStorage be used in place of the PS5's specialized storage tech to deliver the same smooth experience?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's on the nvidia leak so it's beyond feasible, it's coming

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Weird question. Ignore the marketing talk, the game could have been developed for a PC without any special or fancy parts (other than an SSD, but that's not exactly all that fancy anymore!)

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Could DirectStorage be used in place of the PS5's specialized storage tech to deliver the same smooth experience?

It could just run on any normal PC with a normal SSD and enough RAM.

There's nothing magic about the PS5 and there never has been.

The last genuine bit of console "magic" was the Cell processor, and that was such a disaster it will be a while before anyone tries anything like that again.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It could just run on any normal PC with a normal SSD and enough RAM.

There's nothing magic about the PS5 and there never has been.

Yeah, the PS5 is using an NVMe SSD, which is a new thing for consoles this generation, so of course Sony will market it as a killer feature. But they've been in the PC space for a few years now.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
SMTV was on that too and I haven't heard anything about it. I'm thinking maybe some of those ports got canceled.
No, they're just further out, we just heard about returnal like this month and it's been on that list the entire time, everything on there has been considered for release

We go through this every time

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Digital Foundry or some other tech site put like, the worst SSD they could use and the game ran fine?

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I completed Rift Apart on the PS5 and tbh, there is nothing in the implementation of the game that wouldn't be possible on a PC even without DirectStorage (probably some SSD requirement.) Outside of the cutscene type sequences where whole worlds were being changed, the gameplay rifts were mostly teleporting in the same scene (and I found it a bit underwhelming after all the hype prior to launch with regards to the tech.) Of course, outside of that, the game is still a looker!

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Impossible, there's nothing on this earth that is as fast as the PS5 SSD, trust me I've been an SSD expert ever since I watched that Cerny PS5 presentation.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
There's nothing special about that game that uses any tech of he PS5 in unheard of ways. It will work fine on PC.

MarinZero

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2022
It'll probably require a lot of RAM, like Returnal. If it's possible on a ~400 bucks console, you can bet your ass that is possible on PC.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
The Ratchet game on the leak appeared to be the 2016 movie tie-in-
The game is unreleased on the platform and it lines up with their timeline for PC ports too well for that not to be rift apart, unless there's some release I missed years ago

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's totally feasible but like everything it is up to Sony if they want to put it there. I imagine Sony will want to keep a few PS5 only games from ever coming to the PC and this could be one since they hyped up the SSD speeds so much prior to the system coming out.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
The game is unreleased on the platform and it lines up with their timeline for PC ports too well for that not to be rift apart, unless there's some release I missed years ago

I'm sure Rift Apart will come at some point. But Ratchet & Clank is the title of the 2016 PS4 game. Every other game has specifically had subtitles like Horizon Forbidden West for example.

610U9KnB0cS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Still no idea whether Direct Storage/RTX I/O is already there, or if it wil still come. Will be feasible ofc, but probably not on an HDD at this point.

Would love to see the requirements though. Got the same SSD that i got installed on my PS5 (980 Pro), should SSD speeds really matter.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Rift Apart will come at some point. But Ratchet & Clank is the title of the 2016 PS4 game. Every other game has specifically had subtitles like Horizon Forbidden West for example.

Very strong chance the subtitle just isn't listed like the link I posted mentions

Because I can't come up with any reason why a 2016 port of that game would exist AFTER rift apart released just last year

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
Weird question. Ignore the marketing talk, the game could have been developed for a PC without any special or fancy parts (other than an SSD, but that's not exactly all that fancy anymore!)

This for sure, I feel that a PC could run it without too much issue. The "portals take you anywhere instantly" was sold as complete parallel world or fast travel between planets when it wasn't anything near that complicated. A lot of those "Only with the power of the PS5 is x possible" games all seem to not really deliver. Godfall was also touted as being build specifically for the PS5, and now it's available on everything including the PS4

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
There is no reason why PCs with SSDs cannot handle a game like Ratchet & Clank. As somebody that games on both PC and consoles, I found the reactions to the Mark Cerny TED Talk to be a little funny as it was entering Secret Sauce territory.

Patate

Oct 15, 2022
As others have already mentioned, DF took the slowest Gen 4 SSD in the PS5, installed Rift Apart on it and it ran like a champ so yeah, I guess we can assume PC would do fine.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Very strong chance the subtitle just isn't listed like the link I posted mentions

Because I can't come up with any reason why a 2016 port of that game would exist AFTER rift apart released just last year

The Ratchet & Clank 2016 thing could've been used for the PS5 60fps patch that happened during covid.

But yeah it would be weird for them to port that title since what would they charge for it? Its sold for single digits at PS4 rn.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Waiting on this, tsushima, and DeS. Hopefully Tlou2, GOWR and HFW come sooner rather than later as well.

There's always the good stuff like Gravity Rush, SotC etc but idk if they'll ever get that far back in their catalogue. Shame as there's assuredly a PC audience for those games.

I don't think there's be any major technical issues with a good enough PC either.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Power of the PS5 SSD has been nothing but marketing talk so far.

Asides from faster loading nothing has changed. It was pretty much just Secret Sauce all over again and i still remember the hundreds of pages on ERA how the PS5 will be a absolute game changer and not feasible for a long time on other plattforms.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
It will work fine on PC lol

The PS5 is an amazing piece of hardware, but it doesn't do any exclusive magic that other hardware can't also do.

Oct 25, 2017

I think you could be right about it being the 2016 game, but Forbidden West isn't a subtitle so that's not a good example either way.

On the general subject of the thread, the gimmicks in this game could be replicated even on a slower drive with minimal impact I think. Pocket dimensions were extremely whatever, just extensions of level geometry with different art. I think the instant changes between worlds could be handled by loading more in RAM or just making it take a couple seconds, it wouldn't ruin the game. All of these solutions may require more work on the software end but I don't think hardware limitations are going to be a big deal.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I think you could be right about it being the 2016 game, but Forbidden West isn't a subtitle so that's not a good example either way.

Well the majority of titles on there are using the full titles instead of just "Ratchet and Clank". Rift Apart is coming to PC either way at some point so I guess we wont know if this is actually this or not unless the 2016 title comes to PC too.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019

I mean they're bringing TLOU to PC soon even though TLOU2 exists, I dunno what you mean.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Power of the PS5 SSD has been nothing but marketing talk so far.

Asides from faster loading nothing has changed. It was pretty much just Secret Sauce all over again and i still remember the hundreds of pages on ERA how the PS5 will be a absolute game changer and not feasible for a long time on other plattforms.
That was my experience from day 1. Ratchet is a fun game with amazing graphics, but the warping was not nearly as impressive during the game as I was hyped to believe from the trailers and marketing.

That said the load times are impressive on the PS5. I have not had a gaming PC in over a decade so I can't compare how it loads to a beefy PC with a fast SSD. I assume its very comparable but maybe that is where consoles can come out slightly ahead.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're bringing TLOU to PC soon even though TLOU2 exists, I dunno what you mean.
It's a 2016 game based on the movie when rift apart came out last year and this game has yet to release on the platform, you tell me which makes more sense when compared to a game like TLOU which just got a whole ass remake in 2022

Oct 31, 2017
PCs won't be able to handle it for 15 years unfortunately but apart from that the good news is we're looking at a rift in what is reality and what i just said

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, with enough RAM and a good SSD its possible.
That being said, PS5 doesn't get its fast loading times just because it has an SSD.
The custom controller is pretty important too.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a fair assumption that all PS5 first party games, maybe with the exception of VR games, will come to PC unless they flop catastrophically. It will be a console with two exclusives, Astro's PlayRoom and Destruction All-Stars.

They might wait a few years though since that means more PCs will be able to run the game and they might also want to give the PS5 a reason to exist.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
100% feasible. The dimension based gameplay was extremely overstated and in actual gameplay is relegated to on-rails set pieces aside from one level which makes use of a gimmick that was already done in games like Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2 on HDD consoles.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I think Df may have even tested the game with a slower than recommended SSD and there still was no issues.