• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I have enjoyed the Ys series since the PSP. There's something about Falcom games that make them ideal for handheld playing, that's why I got YsVIII on Switch and I loved it.

However, since there's no sign of either Ys: Memories of Celceta and Ys Origin on Switch (yet), I have been interested in getting them on Vita. That being said, I'm a bit afraid of getting them on the system due that YsVIII used all the buttons on Switch and I bet that it would have been a pain to play on Vita because of the obvious limitations so I was wondering if the other two were good to control.

I would also like to know the performance of both, are they 60FPS? Falcom are not the best at optimizing games so I'm not expecting much.

Last edited:

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Neither of them had any control problems on Vita that I'm aware of? Every Ys game I've played has been on Vita so I don't know any better, but there weren't any problems I was aware of. Celceta uses shoulder button + face button for skills iirc and otherwise controls pretty well.

Origin is great. My favourite Ys game since I played Felghana years ago.

Neither run at 60FPS I don't think. If you could handle Ys VIII on Switch you'll have no problem with those two on Vita though.

If you want to play a handheld Ys though, my recommendation is always Oath in Felghana. Brilliant game. You can also get Ys Seven if you want to complete the set! (well, and Chronicles which is I and II, but I wasn't too keen on those two).

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's actually possible to play pretty much every mainline Ys game on Vita if you homebrew the system. My experience is mostly limited to the PSP 1-2 collection played on Vita, which looks and plays great, and Celceta and Origin, which are both fun but have major framerate issues on the system at times. Oclockvita helps keep the frame rate more stable at 30 but it still drops. They are playable but far from ideal.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
When I played MoC on Vita I dimly remember having party tactics of aggressive/defensive attached to the rear touch screen, but it didn't affect my enjoyment one bit. Great game.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time with memories of celceta in the vita, but after playing lacrimosa of dana in my ps4 pro, I couldn't return to it.

At least I don't like how small is the screen for some things that I want to react in nightmare

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Celceta was made for the Vita in mind....but it also doesn't look great, very smudgy. But it plays fine. Origin was ported by a different team, it mostly runs OK (though 30 FPS) even though there's significant frame loss in boss battles. But nothing that ruins the game.

The PC versions are obviously superior, but for portable play, they're both decent enougj.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Play on PC if possible, they're alright on Vita if not though. Celceta is sub-native resolution and frequently dips below 30FPS, it was originally a PSP game and it shows.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Ys VIII was developed for Vita, but Falcom wasn't exactly well versed in it and so it doesn't run great at times. Sadly, it's combat where slowdown is most prevalent.

Controls are fine, but definitely compromised even though it was developed for Vita. You've gotta press both shoulder buttons at the same time for super moves, which is less than ideal, but otherwise it works fine.

The areas are larger than in VII and Celceta, which I enjoy because those PSP games have tiny, tiny areas and you spend more time loading between screens than playing the game.

As I have the PS4 version with more content and better framerate, I'll likely never fire the Vita version up again. But if you have no other way to play, it's fine. If you have a Switch, PS4 or PC then VIII on Vita is the worst way to play.

Last edited:

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think I will wait for a Switch version in that case. I just can't play Falcom games in anything else other than handhelds.

Surely if you could handle the Switch version of Ys VIII, you'll be able to handle the Vita version of Celceta. Neither are the optimal way to play but as you say yourself, you want to play them on handhelds (Origin might come I guess... I'd be surprised if Celceta did)

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Based on what I keep hearing, Ys games on Vita perform worse than YsVIII on Switch.

And I just know those controls are going to bother me.

FWIW, I didn't even know the rear touch pad was used for anything until this thread. As other people have said, it's a not really an issue - but sounds like you've made your decision anyway so I won't try and convince you any more!

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Ys: Memories of Celceta is an awesome action RPG game. I loved my time with it from start to finish.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Thanks OP for asking the question. I always postpone getting into this series and I have all available Vita Ys games in my watchlist. I'm still unsure of the order in which I should play them but I'll start with the earliest release date and go from there.

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
All four are great games.

I'm in the minority that prefers VII and Memories of Celceta over Felghana and Origins though.