• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anime has negatively affected me

• Minimal damage

Votes: 395 52.9%
  • Moderate damage

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • Damaged

Votes: 233 31.2%

• Total voters

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
1446426414231.gif

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Made me awkward at first (for a while) though now a days it stands more as mythological constructs that make me consider more what the nature of sacrifice is, what does selflessness really mean, what is never giving up, and so on. Anime/manga has some pretty powerful metaphors and parables for these things. It is important to always have in the front of your mind that all of it is expanded to the extreme. You will never be as lucky, fated, or unbreakable as any myological person, but that doesnt mean you cant draw inspiration from fiction. That's the point of the art. Well that and money.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I was President of the Anime Society at my University. That left some wounds for sure.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anime only made my life better. Taught me plenty of moral lessons, far more than I would get from western animation.

Also gave me more creativity in designing outfits and well also allowed me to explore many music genres I never would've seen otherwise.

Anime is the fucking best.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Minimal damage. I got into it in the early '90s, before the weeb battalions had formed and it was still relatively underground and hard to come by. My classmates were disinterested in it, and when some of us went on a school trip to Japan they were baffled by my knowledge of it, but that's about it.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching fullmetal alchemist on Netflix and now 99.9% of my movie and TV selections became anime...

Last edited:

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
I like anime, but I don't watch it nearly as much as I did in middle and high school. I watch maybe one new show a year max. Overall though I rewatch the shows I've always liked such as Cowboy Bebop or FLCL. I read more manga these days. Stuff like vagabond, and my media consumption has expanded significantly to many other mediums.

Anime has not ruined my life, and I had a pretty good high school experience. I've also made some friends through mutual interest. Though in middle school I did have anxiety about people finding out I liked anime.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly it's probably responsible for at least 80% of where I am today in life in a bunch of positive ways. Definitely wouldn't have gotten good at editing/motion graphics if I hadn't started making AMVs and I've lowkey got both of the "real" jobs I've had in my life because of skills I learned to fuck around with anime shit

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
It would be very disingenuous of me to blame my shortcomings on anime. I'd be a different sort of stupid asshole without anime, but I'd still be a stupid asshole.

It has however been more alienating of late. I tend to like more obscure works so I don't have anyone to talk to about them. Last show I watched was familiar to exactly one other person in this entire community. The few folks who did show up were very pleasant to hear from but it wasn't much of a discussion. It would've been far more efficient to get folks chatting if I made a "what did you poop today" thread or whatever.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Since watching anime I've been to Japan five times. I don't do anything anime related, insofar as merch or whatever. Mostly just video games, baseball, and wrestling.

Nov 21, 2017
Unova Region
Honestly it's probably responsible for at least 80% of where I am today in life in a bunch of positive ways. Definitely wouldn't have gotten good at editing/motion graphics if I hadn't started making AMVs and I've lowkey got both of the "real" jobs I've had in my life because of skills I learned to fuck around with anime shit
Would you say you're a weeaboo?

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Told people on my discord that I like Anime, everyone started calling me the "discord waifu". Will I get replaced like other seasonal "waifus"? I need an answer to this before I can answer that poll.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Some anime can take tiddies and the related physics to a whole new level. Btw, I am simply stating, not complaining.
Okay, I understand. It just bugs me that people think artists that use an anime art styles are more perverted, when that isn't the case, and really a good buch of people in any country get into drawing because to draw sexy man/woman.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
The mutual interest in anime helped me get closer to a group of friends I met in high school. more than a decade later, we're still in touch. As we grew, we organized mini cons and helped a friend with a bigger con. Because of that, socially awkward people who normally don't interact with others met like minded friends and saw that other people were just like them. For that weekend, they felt accepted, and it was great to watch that happen in real time and be somewhat of a facilitator.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I may have gotten drunk one night and attempted to organise a trip to Antarctica.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Not gonna lie, watching Hajime no Ippo right now and it's actually motivating me to get out and exercise

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, I have other hobbies as well to where one doesn't consume me entirely. I enjoy watching anime but I'm usually pretty slow at watching and only tend to watch like 1-2 shows a season.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I am keenly aware of how awful large swaths of anime fandom are....so minimal but I'd rather have not known

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I picked minimal but the answer is none, anime hasn't had any negative effect on my life.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Would you say you're a weeaboo?
Oddly enough no, I think I'm probably just shy of that.

I do read manga daily, but I read manhua and manhwa daily too and I've probably read more western books/comics than anything out of Asia.

I don't really buy merch, don't go to cons, and only have actual conversations about anime/manga with one of my close friends. Funny enough, that same friend is literally the only other person I've organically met in real life who is into anime/manga at a similar level of interest and also been a chill person aside from that.