• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anime has negatively affected me

• Minimal damage

Votes: 395 52.9%
  • Moderate damage

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • Damaged

Votes: 233 31.2%

• Total voters

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I'd say anime had a minimal impact, now if one saw my room they may think otherwise, I do own six manga sets and maybe a dozen anime shows, with the rest being Ghibli films, but that's it. I use to watch one or two shows each season but now it's more like one show every three months or so. My primary consumption of anime is with ToonamiERA and I find that to be enough anime for me. Though I am watching a show called Dororo which is pretty good, before that I saw High-Score Girl which also wasn't bad.
My social awkwardness more stems from other means that is unrelated to anime.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty damaged. Like I probably wouldn't still be in debt for one (figures and gacha games). Would still be kinda standoff-ish though.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Minimal. Benefitted me more than anything.

Well...I did go through a phase in my late teens trying to be the cool anime mysterious guy to try and get with women lol, but got over that quickly.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
The only anime I have ever watched are films by Studio Ghibli so I guess I have to go with minimal damage because those movies are wonderful

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I voted minimal but I seem to be pretty fine from Anime.

Hell, Shaman King back in the day inspired me to work out for some goddamn reason so maybe it was a net positive overall.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Well what are your favorite shows?

Mine include:
Utena
Psycho Pass
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
Initial D
Ping Pong
Evangelion
Azumangah Daioh
Nichijou
Mushishi

My MAL is on my profile

Loved these.

My all time favorite is Baccano!

Some others are:
Aria The Animation
Monogatari Series
Fate/Zero
The Garden of Words
Jormungand
Kino's Journey (2003)
Millennium Actress
Mononoke
Monster
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Mushishi
Shirobako
Steins;Gate

Some ghibli films.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was probably doomed no matter what.

At least comforting anime like Yuru Camp helps me out.

Anime is the only medium that has chill or comfortable themes

Save for Bob Ross I guess.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Loved these.

Some others are:
Aria The Animation
Monogatari Series
Fate/Zero
The Garden of Words
Jormungand
Kino's Journey (2003)
Millennium Actress
Mononoke
Monster
Mushishi
Shirobako
Steins;Gate

Some ghibli films.
Nice. I basically know of just about all of these. I've been meaning to get around to watching Monster since it seems like it's right up my alley, but it's so hard to find decent ways to watch it.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Chinese anime that tried their damndest to disguise themselves (up to not putting any credits and only having Japanese dub for the cutscenes even if you picked Chinese) as Japanese count

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm an abused spouse of studio BONES and I refuse to seek help or get a restraining order. I keep going back thinking it will be better this time. :(

Sword of the Stranger 2 please....

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Anime was an invaluable part of my life growing up.

I grew up in Malaysia, where Doraemon is more or less a cultural icon for young kids born in the 80s. Through Nobita's constant perils and his inadequacies, while he had a lot of flaws and often tried to cheat his way through hard work, it helped me find my place growing up as I struggled with my own inadequacies, where as I grew older from my pre-school to elementary to high-school, I found myself surrounded by people who were more talented and more hardworking than me, and Doraemon allowed me an emotional place to grapple with that part of me even as I was constantly pressured by the expectation to be the best I could be at all times.

So it saved my life, and I'm pretty sorry that it ruined y'alls.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved these.

Some others are:
Aria The Animation
Monogatari Series
Fate/Zero
The Garden of Words
Jormungand
Kino's Journey (2003)
Millennium Actress
Mononoke
Monster
Mushishi
Shirobako
Steins;Gate

Some ghibli films.

Some of these are among my favorites too. Good taste.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anime was an invaluable part of my life growing up.

I grew up in Malaysia, where Doraemon is more or less a cultural icon for young kids born in the 80s. Through Nobita's constant perils and his inadequacies, while he had a lot of flaws and often tried to cheat his way through hard work, it helped me find my place growing up as I struggled with my own inadequacies, where as I grew older from my pre-school to elementary to high-school, I found myself surrounded by people who were more talented and more hardworking than me, and Doraemon allowed me an emotional place to grapple with that part of me even as I was constantly pressured by the expectation to be the best I could be at all times.

So it saved my life, and I'm pretty sorry that it ruined y'alls.
Same here in Indonesia.

The thing is that Doraemon isn't really a part of the otaku industry...

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I became a degenerate, and then somewhere along the line I decided that if I became a degenerate, I might as well be a high-spec degenerate, and so I went through some life decisions that has arguably made me a better person in all aspects across the board.

I'm still a filthy degenerate, though.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I became a degenerate, and then somewhere along the line I decided that if I became a degenerate, I might as well be a high-spec degenerate, and so I went through some life decisions that has arguably made me a better person in all aspects across the board.

I'm still a filthy degenerate, though.
That makes me wonder tho, why is it that only people who are into anime like to call themselves trash/degenerate?

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
People need to learn to moderate themselves... I just watch what I like (and thats if I feel like it)

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
You merely adopted the damage.
I was born in it. Melded by it.

I had waifus in cartoons and games before I even graduated to anime!

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exposing myself to amazing anime made me realize that most anime is actually terrible compared to the really good stuff and partially ruined my enjoyment of the medium.

Everyone knows manga is where you go for true art now.

LapinLopLuna

Oct 29, 2017
Minimal damage.
Worst is being exposed to other anime fans, having to have knowledge of some of the schlock that gets produced and hearing "it's a Trap" style "jokes" directed at me at cons.
Otherwise I have had 100s of hours of enjoyment from the medium.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whenever I'm mad at someone I just start shouting MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA
Real awkward when it happens in the office...

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
That makes me wonder tho, why is it that only people who are into anime like to call themselves trash/degenerate?

Deeply rooted insecurities spawned by rejection and bullying over out interest played for laughs ironically, so we can pretend we "own" it while in actuality every single time it feels like a hot knife entering our pancreas.

5d2vlHnAC-oa10GR0HtE7xnyfTTAn_IKPgHfD3O3VDsVZR-OKF8f8uJSeTUa4p6NPl5bMotcadW8lnOuPzEyQX5NpNH9L2y20w09C1jXOTSz5lseOPGmXhP-SvsGgNhs

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
nope

searching for DBZ stuff as a kid lead me to a DBZ forum

that forum lead me to people I'm still friends with to this day

without it, I wouldn't have met the person who introduced me to the person who would end up being my first kiss during an age I would register a first kiss (14, btw)

and even putting aside that forum, I would be a worse person without anime

imagine living life without knowing about Heero Yuy

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Because of Goku I started using "ora" instead of "ore" when referring to myself, and kids made fun if me for it at school.

It's been 20 + years since then and I still use "ora" when talking to my mom lol.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It sounds cheesy as balls but Shonen has helped me motivate myself for the gym.

Thinking of shit like Luffy vs Katakuri and Naruto vs Pain helps me get those lasts reps in when I'm shattered. I see them as heroes and someone to aspire to be. But I keep that shit to myself i don't go round gomu gomu-ing people and have little merchandise. I know it's a slippery slope.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Deeply rooted insecurities spawned by rejection and bullying over out interest played for laughs ironically, so we can pretend we "own" it while in actuality every single time it feels like a hot knife entering our pancreas.
I'm sure that's true for some people. I have an easier excuse - I'm Catholic. Guilt comes with the package lmao.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I can get being influenced by anime, but having your life downright ruined by it?
This is not normal in any way. It's just another genre of media, why would you let it take control of your life and all?
Why can't it be treated like other movies/tv shows?
I'm not trying to be judgemental, I genuinely don't understand why can anime specifically influence lives in so many negative ways compared to other things.
If those problems cannot be solved on your own, seeking help from therapists is definitely the way. It's fine enjoying watching anime but you can't let it destroy your life.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Never really got into it. Idk why, some of them seem really cool. Just never got around to it. Most I've done is watch all of Dragon Ball.