• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anime has negatively affected me

• Minimal damage

Votes: 395 52.9%
  • Moderate damage

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • Damaged

Votes: 233 31.2%

• Total voters

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
2019-03-17.png

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird relationship this site has with this medium. This thread is weird asf.

As for me, anime is just a big promotion in it's major part since most of it are adaptations. lol

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It was an early inspiration along with games and JDM cars for me to get serious about learning Japanese,
which 20+ years later now has me working directly with creators of some of my favorite games as a child.

So I gotta say it's doing a pretty terrible job of ruining my life.

Now that I have young kids, it's also great to be able to connect with them as they become interested in similar stuff to what I watched as a kid.
My 5yo is huge into DragonBall at the moment thanks to Super being on JP Netflix, so we went to see the latest Broly movie together and I have been showing him the older shows as well.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What a weird relationship this site has with this medium. This thread is weird asf.

As for me, anime is just a big promotion in it's major part since most of it are adaptations. lol
An entire generation of nerds have built their personality on the fact that they don't like anime (despite all of the video games that take inspiration from it and actual anime that they like. Those don't count because they like them). It's just old self-hating nerds.

I do enjoy the sweet irony of the "anime is for jerks" gif that was used for all these years stars Jeff Gerstmann, who now has 50-something episode DBZ podcast and likes anime

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Isn't that true of any type of fan

I have yet to see Gamergate rise out of, say, dollhouse fans. Anime and game fans seem quite unique in that regard, probably because the media itself is frequently more sexist than average (which is saying something, considering how high the average is).

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I have yet to see Gamergate rise out of, say, dollhouse fans. Anime and game fans seem quite unique in that regard, probably because the media itself is frequently more sexist than average (which is saying something, considering how high the average is).
Gamergate rose out of gaming culture, though I definitely agree accepted anime norms are very patriarchal and sexist, and the more socially progressive manga and novels are either bastardized or ignored for adaptation. Just, I don't find anime as a medium any easier to hate than say gaming or sports through their respective fans, assuming we are talking about fans who have wholesale made them into their identity.

OP
OP
Puck Beaverton
Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Every time I see a fan service shot I weep.

My Hero Academia is the worst for this. It's almost something I can not be embarrassed to enjoy and then I get ass in my face.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
while playing sekiro, I keep thinking about how much I want to play dmc5 instead because of the anime theme song

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I chose DAMAGED.

No one could ever live up to mai husbando.

Also anime guys have no poop in their butts, whereas real guys have lots of poop in their butts sometimes. It's just one of those differences I noticed in the real world.

You can't just dive in expecting a clean pooper. Human bodies have all kinds of things.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
new manga/anime releases give me something to look forward to throughout the week, which is nice especially when i'm feeling down

i used to be pretty obsessed with it in high school, but it has been toned down a lot in the 6 years since i've graduated, something I enjoy but also I have a lot of other things I enjoy as well

it may have taken a toll on my social life back then but these days I don't really think it has any negative effect on my life. If anything it makes my life better because I can indulge in something I can enjoy.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
The only anime I watched was Naruto and Shippuden. I thought it was okay. Some great moments, many bad ones.

Certainly didn't give me the urge to watch more lol

I'd say anime had next to no impact on my life :)

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like some questionable anime but I hate 99% of anime fans. Then again, I tend to hate 99% of any kind of fan.

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan has had creepy shit officially produced or licensed by studios since the 80s.
Of course they did, I figured mainstream for the west. Battle Angel and Ninja Scroll released in 93 made their way to the west by 95 with English dub, around this time Blockbuster video sets up thier anime section, you also had a Suncoast motion picture company in every mall selling subtitled/dubbed anime movies/tv series at this time also and to top it off in 97 Cartoon Network releases Toonami for after school runs cementing anime into the mainstream by 97

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I just stick to the old stuff: anything from the early 2000's and back.

That said: I really enjoyed the Fujiko Mine series that came out a few years ago.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Of course they did, I figured mainstream for the west. Battle Angel and Ninja Scroll released in 93 made their way to the west by 95 with English dub, around this time Blockbuster video sets up thier anime section, you also had a Suncoast motion picture company in every mall selling subtitled/dubbed anime movies/tv series at this time also and to top it off in 97 Cartoon Network releases Toonami for after school runs cementing anime into the mainstream by 97

I used to buy $40 subbed 2 - 4 episode VHS tapes in the 90s from Suncoast. :P

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It was a great store, they pretty much had anything you were looking for and if they didn't have it in stock you could order from thier catalog at the front desk.... ahhh to live before the internet lol

its definitely nostalgic, but the amount of series that didn't get licensed or were in some way compromised (edited, dub-only replaced soundtracks, etc.) coupled with cost definitely isn't something I pine for lol