How have your tastes changed this year?

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Well 2019 is almost over and it's been one helluva ride!
This year has been great for me, I got to try out games in genres that I normally wouldn't play and I got my girlfriend a Switch which made her appreciate gaming more which brought us closer together.

Some of the new games (to me) representing genres I never touched before but that I tried out and enjoyed
1. Bloodborne
2. DotA 2
3. Downwell
4. Dead Cells
5. Donkey Kong County Tropical Freeze
6. 428: Shibuya Scramble
7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
8. Watchdogs 2
9. Prey
10. Dragon Quest Builders 2

Sadly, I failed to get into Pokemon and I tried, I really tried.

Bonus
My girlfriend got these games herself, loved them and ended up reviving her blog to express her thoughts on them.
1. Florence
2. Night in the Woods
3. Oxen Free
I introduced her to Journey, Okami, Ori and the Blind Forest, Life is Strange, What Remains of Edith Finch and Stardew Valley, all of which she adored. Currently she's playing Breath of the Wild. We co-op Rayman Legends from time to time. I'm so proud. She thinks Sobble is cute and wants Pokemon Sword but we'll see how that goes. She just might find that spark with Pokémon that I failed to ignite.

How has the year been for you?

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
The only game I've been playing consistently all year is a mobile gatcha JRPG. I had never played a gatcha game before this year. Also never spent on a gatcha game before this...

Dukie85

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't. I still like what I always liked, and still avoid what I don't.

Goldenroad

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if it's me or the games, but I feel like I've been playing a lot less action-oriented games. I've been enjoying games like Disco Elysium, What the Golf?, Outer Wilds, and just wanting to play more strategy games, rpg's, that kind of thing. I think it's just that I've been pretty stressed at work and when I get home not wanting to play games that are going to further stress me out. I did spend like 3 months this year just playing Assassins Creed Odyssey though, but again, so much of that time is just spent roaming around this huge world, conversing with NPC's, and just stealth taking out bases and watching numbers go up.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I've discovered Steam only games (finally got a gaming PC and don't own an Xbox). So Ori, Subnautica (heard it only ran well on PC), Outer Wilds have all been fantastic.

Outer Wilds is probably my GOTY.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I got into MMOs for the first time ever this year with FF14 (which started in a way with SP takes on the formula (Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2)). Ran out of steam shortly after getting through 2.55 though. I'll get back to it at some point.

Everything else was pretty much the same as it's always been (single player focused).

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Yes tried destiny even though I can’t really play FPS because sensitivity but have tried it a couple of sessions of 20 mins short burst.
Will try to see how I fare with cyberpunk.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Strategy/management games are my new obsession thanks to Civilization 6, Fire Emblem 3 Houses, and Football Manager.

Kapote

Jul 3, 2019
For me, it was Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Never played a lot of Japanese strategy games or fighting games. Fire Emblem now is one of my GOTY and Smash is one of my fav game ever.

daxy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've pretty cut all ties with just kinda okay games/time-wasters. Used to buy a lot of these (on sale), but my backlog alone has more than enough must-play games to keep me occupied for years.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say that it happened this year alone but I'm super sensitive about brutal violence now, it's off-putting enough for me to completely ignore even the highest scoring game if the violence is too realistic and brutal. Don't know if it's because the graphics are too good or the animations are too realistic, it just makes me feeling ill. I hope game devs start to make games for everyone and not just those who enjoy seeing people getting brutally killed.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm come to the realization that I'm starting to only like Soulslikes. It has seriously become hard for me to like anything else and not by choice either.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Im slowly starting to hate rpgs whereas they were my most favorite genre before

Everything is a fucking rpg nowadays

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Cool idea for a thread Mexen ! This past year we forayed into story based walking simulator type games a lot more with Life is Strange, its prequel and Oxenfree. We enjoyed all of those a great deal, especially LiS. We're very eager to play the sequel when all of it is on Game Pass in March. We also played a classic PnC style game for the first time in years and having probably only ever played a couple of those before. The game was Broken Age and we absolutely loved it. The puzzles were suitably mind ending and incredibly satisfying to figure out, the story was creative and fun with surprising twists and the characters and settings were unique and compelling.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How has the year been for you?
Not spectacular. Aside from a very strong Q1. I've only played three new games since then, and those three had simply been "OK", and won't be on any future top ten lists. They would only make it on 2019's, because I haven't even played that many total this year.

Next year though...

When you get to my age your tastes don't change and you don't even remember what year it is anyway.
I hope you're way beyond your 30s then.

Iztok Mravlja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on the same multiplayer FPS streak I've been for the past few years.
Don't really enjoy anything else short of trying new stuff out. Racing games, maybe, but I've always like those.

And VR. But then I play multiplayer FPS games and racers on that, too.

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Cool idea for a thread Mexen ! This past year we forayed into story based walking simulator type games a lot more with Life is Strange, its prequel and Oxenfree. We enjoyed all of those a great deal, especially LiS. We're very eager to play the sequel when all of it is on Game Pass in March. We also played a classic PnC style game for the first time in years and having probably only ever played a couple of those before. The game was Broken Age and we absolutely loved it. The puzzles were suitably mind ending and incredibly satisfying to figure out, the story was creative and fun with surprising twists and the characters and settings were unique and compelling.
This is amazing and thanks for sharing!