• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but be slightly disappointed by the Doorly's 12.
I prefer a sweet rum (Diplomatico Reserve, Pusser's 15) and it tastes something closer to a brandy or similar imo.

Bit of a shame after hearing all the praise for foursquare which I've not tried before. Just preference really though.

Oct 26, 2017
Just nabbed a Kirk & Sweeney 18 while I was out near Cullowhee picking up my youngest. Had only a sip of it a couple nights ago but planning on a little deeper pour tonight. It definitely has a bit more of a burn than Zacapa 23/XO or the Plantation XO.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to this thread I think I'm going to go grab a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusivia today.. I went to a local place over the weekend but they were sold out, so have to drive a little further.. Hope it is worth the trip!

Grabbed a bottle of Pyrat last week at Costco, I remember drinking it MANY years ago, but it's not bad.

My contribution to the thread.. everyone should try Koloa Rum (https://koloarum.com/). I first tried it when I was in Maui a few years back, and it's still one of my favorites. Target here actually sells it, usually for about $29.95 USD.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've just ordered a bottle of Rumbullion! Hopefully it will arrive before new years eve. Next up I think I'll try some Bumbu. I'm intrigued by the reputed banana flavour.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I think I should go down the list of rums I currently have in my cabinet and rate them out of five:

Plantation XO 20th Anniversary 4/5
Zacapa XO 3.5/5
Zacapa 23 5/5
Ron Abuelo 12 Gran Reserva 4.5/5
Ron Abuelo XV Tawny Port Cask Finish 5/5
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva 5/5
Cihuatan Gran Reserva 8 4/5
Havana Club 7 4/5
Mount Gay Black Barrel 4/5
Ron Flor de Cana 18 2.5/5

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I have the limited edition kraken bottle on my shelf right now.

7169o432b46l._sl1500_q6eyq.jpg

Tattarus

Mar 16, 2018
Italy
I just had my life's first hangover (last week, i'm 30) because I kept drinking rum and pear, felt like shit the whole day after and can't remember anything of the night before.
But rum is so so good...

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I think you can still get it... it wasn't particularly limited. :D

My plan is to fill it from the normal bottle when I eventually empty it.

Edit - Rum and pear? That's a new one on me.

Oct 26, 2017
So I think I should go down the list of rums I currently have in my cabinet and rate them out of five:

Plantation XO 20th Anniversary 4/5
Zacapa XO 3.5/5
Zacapa 23 5/5
Ron Abuelo 12 Gran Reserva 4.5/5
Ron Abuelo XV Tawny Port Cask Finish 5/5
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva 5/5
Ron de El Salvador Gran Reserva 8 4/5
Havana Club 7 4/5
Mount Gay Black Barrel 4/5
Ron Flor de Cana 18 2.5/5
It's becoming more and more clear to me that I need to find some Ron Abuelo. Here in central NC it's not available. My bro looked for it in NY (he's coming down for Xmas) and he couldn't find it either.

Which will likely lead me to searching the internet for it (anyone know of a credible site that ships to NC?).

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I got the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusivia and had a small taste, it was pretty good! I'm still new to this whole "rum neat" thing, as I've always used it for mixers, but the Diplomatico was definitely smoother than the Pyrat (That seemed to need some time to breathe).

I also picked up a small bottle of Foursquare spiced rum since I read about it somewhere, haven't tried it yet though.

Also.. how/why is the Kraken (great rum) "Black Label 70pf" rum more expensive than the normal 94pf stuff? I hadn't seen it before, is it any good?

Holy crap is Total Wine a dangerous place.. I could spend a fortune in there on awesome looking alcohol, I was lucky to get out around $80.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't like to think what I've spent this year on rum. Especially not after my missus blew a couple of hundred dollars on it in a bar in NYC!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to find a rum I like, though to be fair I haven't tried enough to give it a fair chance.

Either I get something that tastes ridiculously sweet, or something that feels young and harsh. It doesn't help that friends continue to buy Kraken which is disgusting.

I like my whiskeys to be smokey or peaty with a subtle sweetness. If I could find rum with a similar character...maybe with lots of oak, I'd have a winner on my hands.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How much do you guys drink, when drinking neat? I have a little taster-type glass I use, it's probably the size of a triple shot maybe.

Ice cubes? Chilled or room temperature? Does it depend on the rum?

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a small glass normally used for fortified wine and brandy. I fill it up. Probably 150 ml or 15cl if you're in Europe. Always room temp, as the rum is more aromatic that way.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I like my whiskeys to be smokey or peaty with a subtle sweetness. If I could find rum with a similar character...maybe with lots of oak, I'd have a winner on my hands.
I try a LOT, so I'll keep an eye out for something like that. I'd recognise it instantly because I FUCKING HATE peaty whisky. :D

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to find a rum I like, though to be fair I haven't tried enough to give it a fair chance.

Either I get something that tastes ridiculously sweet, or something that feels young and harsh. It doesn't help that friends continue to buy Kraken which is disgusting.

Ron Abuelo 12 (aged in bourbon casks) and Ron Abuelo XV Tawny (Port Cask Finish) have a rich, smoky flavor to them. I really dislike peaty tasting whiskeys as well, so you won't find that here with my choices...but those two are exceptionally smoky and robust and surprisingly smooth.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, nobody here has been able to echo my sentiments on the Ron Abuelo rums. Ya'll need to get on that!

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have the 12 year Ron Abuelo here locally.. haven't seen the other one though. What's it usually run, cost wise?

The XV series is part of an exclusive run that they've put out. It's a little more difficult to come by (and quite a bit more expensive).

Here in Taiwan a bottle of the 12 cost me the equivalent of $40USD.

The XV was double that... (don't tell my wife)

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I should probably open up that bottle of Havana Club that has been sitting on my bookcase for about a year now

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My brother got me a bottle of Kraken for Christmas. Still finishing a bottle of Mount Gay Eclipse, and I've still got Rumbullion! On the way.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what it is about rum, but the only times I've tried it, it just completely unsettles my stomach. I'll admit that I'm not really partial to most alcohol in general, taste-wise, but rum specifically just causes my stomach great distress once it enters. Anything else, once I get past the taste, will go down just fine, at least until I've drunk too much of it. The only times I've really tried rum were back in law school when my roommate offered me some rum and Cokes and a little bit of straight rum. Both attempts had the same result.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Downer... Just tried my Limitada and I'm not a fan. Far too sweet for me. I absolutely loved the Maestros though. Possibly my favourite for sipping. Didnt really work with coke though.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Esclusiva and Zacapa 23 based on recommendations here. Trying to up my neat game. Looking forward to trying the Diplomatico tonight!

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Over the holiday I cracked open a bottle of Foursquare Zinfandel Cask Blend. Highly recommended. I may have to grab another bottle now that I know the one local liquor store where I can buy it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
There's a store 2 miles from my house that sells Diplomatico for $30 a bottle. Got some for new years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the random, drive-by posts from people who clearly have not read the thread and don't really care to learn more about what types of rum would appeal to them. lol The posts are usually reduced to "Oh, rum. Yeah I've had that in a cocktail/with Coke once."

Braindead

Oct 29, 2017
Sipping on some 10 Cane I found in the back of my liquor cabinet couple of weeks back. Pretty good, shame they discontinued it.