• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday my cousin boyfriend presented me to this bad boy, is from Madeira island where he is from. Very good one and at a good price point.

dsc_5494.jpg

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agricole rum is quite different and I haven't acquired a taste for it yet. I'm curious as to how this tastes, though.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm expecting my Rumbullion! To arrive in the next few days. In the mean time I've ordered a bottle of Chamarel VSOP.

7U6i5a6.jpg

Edit: Rumbullion! has arrived. Very, very strong orange and cinnamon notes. Possibly some nutmeg too. Tastes a little of mint.

Last edited:

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a (drunken) holiday! The first year where I purposefully tried to skip rum & cokes and go neat.

Got a small bottle of Foursquare a couple weeks back..

8806033489950.png

HOLY MOLY is this smooth. Like.. one of the smoothest alcohols I think I've ever had. Barely any aftertaste. I don't know if I'm 100% in love with the actual taste, but it's so smooth I'm not sure I care. It was like $7.99 for 375ml too. Super cheap.

Went out to a relatively fancy steak place with family over the weekend.. was hanging at the bar beforehand and asked the waitress what sipping rums they had.. she gave me a blank look and said she'd ask. A couple minutes later the manager came over and asked what I was asking for.. I tried to explain.. same blank look. They had some 4-year something or another that was as fancy as they got (it was all captain morgans and flavored stuff) and I tried it.. and yeech. It wasn't great, but I finished it all the same. Disappointing though. Ended up with The Glenlivet 18 yr.. whew, that was a tasty scotch.

The local Total Wine has a bunch of small sampler sizes of a ton of things, might stop by and go hog wild to see what is good.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a (drunken) holiday! The first year where I purposefully tried to skip rum & cokes and go neat.

Got a small bottle of Foursquare a couple weeks back..

8806033489950.png

HOLY MOLY is this smooth. Like.. one of the smoothest alcohols I think I've ever had. Barely any aftertaste. I don't know if I'm 100% in love with the actual taste, but it's so smooth I'm not sure I care. It was like $7.99 for 375ml too. Super cheap.

Went out to a relatively fancy steak place with family over the weekend.. was hanging at the bar beforehand and asked the waitress what sipping rums they had.. she gave me a blank look and said she'd ask. A couple minutes later the manager came over and asked what I was asking for.. I tried to explain.. same blank look. They had some 4-year something or another that was as fancy as they got (it was all captain morgans and flavored stuff) and I tried it.. and yeech. It wasn't great, but I finished it all the same. Disappointing though. Ended up with The Glenlivet 18 yr.. whew, that was a tasty scotch.

The local Total Wine has a bunch of small sampler sizes of a ton of things, might stop by and go hog wild to see what is good.

I can't see the image for some reason. What bottle is it?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I must try some foursquare stuff, they get great reviews.

I'm actually cutting back on the alcohol massively this year. No more than one day a week... so you'll probably see a lot less of me in here. lol

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I must try some foursquare stuff, they get great reviews.

I'm actually cutting back on the alcohol massively this year. No more than one day a week... so you'll probably see a lot less of me in here. lol
I generally have 1 glass of rum on Friday and 1 saturday and that's all for me. A small glass, but filled nearly to the top. The one I posted above in the Rumbullion picture.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Tried a few at my local rum bar this weekend, but alas, nothing I'd buy again.

I'm thinking of what to get for my birthday. Plan is so buy a bunch of samples rather than bottles. I hate paying a ton of money only to have a rum I don't enjoy (looking at you Limitada).

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried a few at my local rum bar this weekend, but alas, nothing I'd buy again.

I'm thinking of what to get for my birthday. Plan is so buy a bunch of samples rather than bottles. I hate paying a ton of money only to have a rum I don't enjoy (looking at you Limitada).

I have buyers remorse over the Flor de Cana 18.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Something I've had recently that I enjoyed was Santa Teresa 1796, which claims to be a Solera rum. Worth a read to learn about Solera method, which is a bit different than how most rums get made: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solera

There's a lot of criticism thrown at rum companies that claim Solera blending, but it's at the very least a modified version of the traditional Spanish method. https://punchdrink.com/articles/has-solera-become-dirty-word-aged-rum/

Definitely a solid rum that I enjoyed at a tasting in the city... I need to dig in on it a bit more to see if what it claims is true.

Edit, also picked up some of that Hamilton Jamaican pot stilled rum, and some Rum Fire the other day... more for mixing in tiki cocktails than sipping, that Rum Fire's Hogo is especially funky, so can't exactly sip without feeling like you're gonna rot.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm headed to Vegas this weekend.. does anyone know of any good spots to check out with fancy rums?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm headed to Vegas this weekend.. does anyone know of any good spots to check out with fancy rums?

FANCY rums not really... but if you want to get rum in a drink that's going to put you in the right place:

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Chamarel VS turned out to be very smooth and light. I think my brother will enjoy it very much when next he visits. He got on the rum train recently when I convinced him to buy a bottle of Mount Gay Eclipse.

UsefulSpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I got myself a bottle of Wray and Nephew when I was in Jamaica this month. It's very different to the rum I'm used to, especially since it's white rum.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ron Abuelo guys. The 12 year. Or one of the special Cask finish reserves.

Get on that. I really want to compare notes on it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I had it last night and I'm sad to say I wasn't a massive fan. I enjoyed the taste, but it was spoiled by a harsh burn.

Was better with ice, so if I try it again I'll start that way.

The stupid expensive rum was Havana Club Tributo, which was amazing. Ridiculously smooth and multilayered flavour. Cost 35 euro for about 50ml, so it could have been worse.

There were some there that were 50 euro+.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
What a night. Finished off with a free shot of Diplomatico Mantuano. If you're ever in Amsterdam then Rum Barrel is a no brainer.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, I completely forgot to say. I very much do not like French style rums.

All of the four I tried I found far too harsh.

Ventara

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So I've recently started getting into mixing cocktails, and I want to try a better rum, as I've only tried Bacardi White and Captain Morgan Spiced Gold for mojitos and coke & rum.

I'm gonna try Diplomatico to give sipping rum a try, but I'm wondering if it can also be used for cocktails?

What is good for cocktails? I assume the better rums like Zacapa 23 and Abuelo XV are mostly meant for sipping (?). I've read Havana 7 and Bacardi 8 brought up, but they seem to be dark rums, which I guess is fine for coke or a dark & stormy, but what if I want a light rum for a daiquiri or mojito?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds amazing! What's it called?
I went to two amazing ones in the end. Rum Barrrel had a slightly smaller selection, but actually has a menu you can use which makes deciding what you want much easier. They also do some flights (as seen in the pics above).

The bar with the most was Cafe 't Spui-tje. They didn't have a menu as far as I could see though, and unless you recognised something on the shelves you had to ask if they had it.

That said, if you know what you want to try, odds on they have it there (they actually had more than 500).

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
I went to two amazing ones in the end. Rum Barrrel had a slightly smaller selection, but actually has a menu you can use which makes deciding what you want much easier. They also do some flights (as seen in the pics above).

The bar with the most was Cafe 't Spui-tje. They didn't have a menu as far as I could see though, and unless you recognised something on the shelves you had to ask if they had it.

That said, if you know what you want to try, odds on they have it there (they actually had more than 500).

Nice, need to check it out when I'm in Amsterdam again 😀

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm drinking rum right now! It's cheap co-op brand rum mixed with fruit juice, but it's doing the job. :)

Kraken Rum is my favourite if I'm drinking it properly.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm gonna try Diplomatico to give sipping rum a try, but I'm wondering if it can also be used for cocktails?

What is good for cocktails? I assume the better rums like Zacapa 23 and Abuelo XV are mostly meant for sipping (?). I've read Havana 7 and Bacardi 8 brought up, but they seem to be dark rums, which I guess is fine for coke or a dark & stormy, but what if I want a light rum for a daiquiri or mojito?

I mean, technically you can mix anything in a cocktail - some will say it's sacrilege to do it with some spirits, but that's fairly hogwash. Now, in terms of what works best with certain flavors and can make a drink better, that's a very complicated question and not something we'll get to the bottom of here.

Dark and Stormy's are technically supposed to be made with Gosling's - now that doesn't mean you can't make it with other dark rums and ginger beer, but it's actually a protected drink - so for instance, if you put that on your menu and it wasn't made with Gosling's, you could be effectively sued. Kind of nuts.

If you wanted to make a daiquiri, boy do I have the recipe for you. Daiquiri's are SUPER simple by ingredients - lime, sugar, rum... but what you put in will wildly change it, and technique makes all the difference. Beachbum Berry has the best version I've ever made and tasted: https://punchdrink.com/recipes/latitude-29-daiquiri/

You can get Demerara sugar at most decent grocery stores, or on Amazon, and it's worth the price - adds a bit of depth to the flavor.

To your earlier question about cocktails - all depends on what type of cocktails you wanted to do with rum. I make a LOT of tropical or tiki cocktails, and the rum combinations are specific and make a difference, so it might be good to start learning about the different styles of rums and how each island provides a different flavor or method. Jamaican rum vs. Barbados for instance are two VERY different styles, and by using one, or both in certain combinations, you can really change the profile.

You want to really learn about Rum in an easy and digestible way and discern styles, pick this book up: https://www.amazon.com/Smugglers-Co...&sr=8-1&keywords=smugglers+cove+cocktail+book

Edit: Last point on this post... the quality of your juices will make ALL The difference. Skip the bottled stuff and make your own with fresh squeezed juice, like limes for that daiquiri. You will never go back to bottles (unless you are in a moment of desperation)

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey gang! New acquisitions arriving tomorrow! I've not tried these but I'm very excited as they have received very high praise:

rum_fou9.jpg

So obviously Foursquare Rums have gotten a lot of traction in this thread. There's such a range that's just recently been made available to me via one of the suppliers here in Taipei, I wasn't sure what to choose. That same supplier will have a tasting event next month to feature Foursquare and Doorly's (both new arrivals to Taiwan, I believe), and so of course I'm pretty sure I'm going, but I just had to try a Foursquare Rum now. So I went with this Sherry/Bourbon cask "Premise" rum. If you've tried this, or any of the other cask finish blends, let me know. Would love to get some feedback before it arrives tomorrow.

Also arriving tomorrow is the Whiskey Exchange Spirit of the Year award winner, Doorly's 12 Year Rum:

rum_doo4.jpg

There were a few options with the Doorly's label but obviously I wanted to go with what is considered to be the most notable of their blends. I also remember someone here trying it but I'm too lazy to go back through the thread right now.

Oh, and I actually saw this rum at my neighborhood shop which they seem to have just gotten:

opthimus-21-rum.jpg

So with this Opthimus rum, they had the 18, 21, and 25 year solera rums. Has anyone tried this? I was trying to read up on it but there's not a ton of info out there aside from a reddit post where someone talks about how it's comparable to Zacapa 23 but sweeter and fuller and with less of a spice/alcohol taste. I was so close to pulling the trigger but since I just spent a pretty penny on the Doorly's and Foursquare I decided to make the responsible choice and hold off for now. Has anyone here tried Opthimus?

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
I tried Opthimus years ago and I liked it more than Zacapa 23 personally but I haven't seen it again since then.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still waiting to try a Foursquare of any sort. I've not had much luck finding it, and I'm trying to avoid buying whole bottles now having been burned on some expensive rums that I really didn't enjoy.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm still waiting to try a Foursquare of any sort. I've not had much luck finding it, and I'm trying to avoid buying whole bottles now having been burned on some expensive rums that I really didn't enjoy.
Find a half decent rum bar if one exists near you - even if you plunk down $150 for the night, you will have tasted a wide variety without overcommitting on bottles :)