• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is excellent too, if you like good rums, it's almost related.

I found a Spanish Brandy, I can't get my head around how cheap it is, but, I know it is not well known, nor sold alot abroad, always pick up bottles when I visit Spain:

brandy-conde-de-osborne.jpg

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Going to a rum tasting on the 7th next month. I probably already know most of the rums they offer there but I'm hoping to find one or two hidden gems among them that are new to me.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I've wanted to try this for almost two years, but I'm not sure you can get in the USA at all.
Ah shame, I've recommended a few to some US friends of mine who can't get a hold of them for similar reasons.

Recently bought Dead Man's Finger in a supermarket, not really sure I like it too much, it's ok with a mixer but just a little over vanilla. Anyone else tried it?

Oct 26, 2017
Got the Diplomatico for my birthday yesterday and had some last night. Very good. Sweet but not overly so, with just a bit of a bite to it on the palate. Sexy in a naughty way. :-)

Ranks right up there with the Plantation XO and the Zacapa 23.

I need to get my hands on that Zacapa XO though.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got the Diplomatico for my birthday yesterday and had some last night. Very good. Sweet but not overly so, with just a bit of a bite to it on the palate. Sexy in a naughty way. :-)

Ranks right up there with the Plantation XO and the Zacapa 23.

I need to get my hands on that Zacapa XO though.

Still waiting to open my bottle of Zacapa XO.

I keep hearing amazing things about Plantation XO and just the Plantation line in general. I really should give it a shot someday.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Just tried The Kraken tonight per the praises in this thread. I would say its 6/10. Prefer it mixed and at that point I would just go Captain morgan since its much cheaper.

Sailor Jerry is my go to and I don't think that will be changing anytime soon. Good taste/price point imo.

Maybe one day Ill try the 50-60 dollar rums...

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think Diplomatico is now in the top 5, but not #1 for me. My tastes have expanded greatly and I've started to notice just how sweet it is compared to the others.

Still one damn smooth rum; exceptional and easy to drink...but I might actually prefer Zacapa 23 and El Dorado 12 slightly more!!

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shameless double post...

917QPihhe8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm big into the Yakuza series now. Playing my first entry with 0 lately and it's converted me into a fan. I saw this and my jaw dropped. The timing of an edition like this couldn't be better. With my newfound appreciation for rum, I'll get a LOT of use out of this.

The chilling rocks will save me from having to put ice in my rum; I HATE the taste of watered-down spirits. It never, ever enhances the flavor for me and always ends up tasting like diluted alcohol. Yuck.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to think Diplomatico is now in the top 5, but not #1 for me. My tastes have expanded greatly and I've started to notice just how sweet it is compared to the others.

Still one damn smooth rum; exceptional and easy to drink...but I might actually prefer Zacapa 23 and El Dorado 12 slightly more!!
Yeah top 3 for me right now is Plantation XO, Diplomatico Reserva and the Zacapa 23.

Also, on the chilling rocks, make sure to keep them in plastic in the freezer; otherwise, given they are porous, they will absorb the scents in your freezer. I use stainless steel rocks that do not absorb scents.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
rum_pla12.jpg

Holy. Shit.

Just tried this beautiful beast last night. Proceeded to order a bottle.

This stuff is magnificent.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^ welcome to the party.

I've been able to try some new stuff lately, and this is right at the top of the list.

I've also tried Dictador XO, which is also excellent. Don Papa 10 year which has this uncanny strawberry yogurt fragrance to it. It's...interesting. I'd say quite good.

But yeah, very happy to have discovered the Plantation XO.

Oct 26, 2017
I think we have an Appleton 10 in our ABC store here in North Carolina. Which of the Appletons is the best? I've never seen the Jamaica Cove brand. How ginger-y is it?

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we have an Appleton 10 in our ABC store here in North Carolina. Which of the Appletons is the best? I've never seen the Jamaica Cove brand. How ginger-y is it?

I'm not familiar with Appleton, but will make it a point to familiarize myself next time I'm back in Canada.

So tonight I tried Zacapa XO for the first time. This is like a richer, much smoother, better version of Zacapa 23. I'd recommend this to anyone who found the Diplomatico to be too sweet. It's like that only much softer and far, far less sweet (as in, not sweet at all). Wow, good stuff. Like Zacapa 23 upgraded, basically.

And now...Plantation XO. Holy fucking shit, this stuff is special. I got my bottle today. Even my wife is in love with the stuff. Hints of banana, vanilla, toasted coconut. The stuff is classy as hell. The bottle is gorgeous and let's you know you're in for a treat. The aroma is just...fuck I could huff it all day. So fragrant; like a delicate banana dessert. This stuff is lucious. This might be a newly crowned champion, folks. With good reason too, considering the awards this stuff has won. Just...damn.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had my first taste of it a couple months ago.

It was pineapple flavored, but I forget the brand...

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had my first taste of it a couple months ago.

It was pineapple flavored, but I forget the brand...

That sounds like Plantation. They make the most popular/well-regarded pineapple rum. I've never had that. This XO 20th anniversary bottle is just a blend of aged rums in their stock. It is out of this world.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I found my new white whale last night... El Dorado 25 Year Old Rum, bottled in 1988... $500 at my local store. That will be a present for myself if a BIG promotion comes through... until then, I dream.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found my new white whale last night... El Dorado 25 Year Old Rum, bottled in 1988... $500 at my local store. That will be a present for myself if a BIG promotion comes through... until then, I dream.

Oooh I had no idea they made a 25 year old rum. $500 is way more than I'm willing to spend though, so more power to you! Do report back should you decide to pull the trigger!

My threshold tops out at the $80-$100 range. That's the most I'm willing to go. Even at those prices, it still stings.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Oooh I had no idea they made a 25 year old rum. $500 is way more than I'm willing to spend though, so more power to you! Do report back should you decide to pull the trigger!

My threshold tops out at the $80-$100 range. That's the most I'm willing to go. Even at those prices, it still stings.
I rarely go over that $80-100 price range too (plenty of good stuff to find at the $30-50 range)... though I'm on hiatus from buying as I drink down my supply... have something like 40 bottles... so can't really justify it. I received a bottle of Joy from Appleton last Christmas, and I know it's about $250-$300... extravagant as all hell as far as I'm considered, and something I will sip slowly over 5 years. The only way I can justify that bottle is to reward myself for a BIG promotion, and I'm HOPING that's this fall... so we'll see.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rarely go over that $80-100 price range too (plenty of good stuff to find at the $30-50 range)... though I'm on hiatus from buying as I drink down my supply... have something like 40 bottles... so can't really justify it. I received a bottle of Joy from Appleton last Christmas, and I know it's about $250-$300... extravagant as all hell as far as I'm considered, and something I will sip slowly over 5 years. The only way I can justify that bottle is to reward myself for a BIG promotion, and I'm HOPING that's this fall... so we'll see.

I just googled it. That is one special looking bottle of rum.

I'm running low on El Dorado 12 year right now. They have some really, really good stuff and I would love to know what a $500 bottle of their rum tastes like. lol

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This topic has my interest. I am not a Bacardi fan (unless mixed) but I did like the Kraken I bought a long time ago. I really enjoy the flavour of rum so I really want to try something new soon.

Havana Club 7 yo is 29 euro
Diplomatico Reserva is 40 euro
Diplomatico Mantuan0 is 25 euro

What would you recommend from these three for a beginner?

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This topic has my interest. I am not a Bacardi fan (unless mixed) but I did like the Kraken I bought a long time ago. I really enjoy the flavour of rum so I really want to try something new soon.

Probably the Diplomatico Reserva or the Havana Club 7.

Similarly priced is the El Dorado 12 and I'd probably recommend that over either of those as it's as deep and complex as the Diplomatico but less sweet and a tad bolder/spicier.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably the Diplomatico Reserva or the Havana Club 7.

Similarly priced is the El Dorado 12 and I'd probably recommend that over either of those as it's as deep and complex as the Diplomatico but less sweet and a tad bolder/spicier.

Yeah that is same price as the Havana. Hard decision haha. I'll let you know what was bought :P

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
So Gran Canaria is said to be the birthplace of rum (according to them haha). I happen to have a friend who lives there and came to visit The Netherlands again so he brought me two bottles from there. Haven't tried them yet but they look good

oHjSmz2.jpg

Plus they were cheap, I only payed 18 euro's for the both of them haha. I'll let you guys know how they are!

I would go for the Diplomatico Reserva, it's a very nice and soft rum. The Havana Club 7 is good to. Haven't tried the other Diplomatico myself so can't comment on that one

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
The yin and yang of the sea, Bumbo for the pirates, Grog for the Royal Navy...

It's interesting to learn the history. I've had a modern version of bumbo, and it's not the worst. I'd like to try the original tot that the Royal Navy had...
From the readings the OG versions don't seem difficult to make at all. It actually probably explains why both were so widespread in the West Indies.

On topic: I would try diplimatico but I too am one of those people that have a high sensitivity to sweetness, especially with regards to alcohol. Shame, really.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I went to what is supposedly the only rum bar in Taipei, and possibly all of Taiwan.

I was able to try out three very different rums which I had never had before:

rum_dip16.jpg

Diplomatico Single VIntage. I doubt there's another bottle of this anywhere in the entire country. The owner said her sister lives in the US and so that's how she gets hold of a lot of her rums which she would otherwise not be able to source anywhere in Taiwan. This stuff is special (and it had better be at $20 a glass!!!); a rare treat I could only see myself having a handful of times in my whole life. It's very subtle, not at all like the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva that has been recommended prominently in this thread. This has more in common with Zacapa XO than it does the Reserva Exclusiva; very soft, oaky notes with very slight hint of brown sugar. Exceptional finish that doesn't linger too long.

rum_hav16.jpg

Up until last night I've only had Havana Club 7. This stuff, however, is very interesting. It's like a deeper, richer, slightly darker version of Havana Club 7. It has that dry, bold, spicy character that Havana Club is known for, but still manages to hit you with a few nice notes of vanilla and cinnamon. I'd drink this again, easily, and would love to add a bottle to my shelf. I tend to reach for Havana Club 7 when I don't want to tap into the higher end bottles on my shelf. This would be a step up from that.

m2779_2.jpg

Brown Sugar, in the best possible way. Silky smooth brown sugar notes. Even more prominent than the Diplomatico Single Vintage listed above. Not sweet. Just right. Like the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, this is stuff is exceptionally easy to drink. I need a bottle of this in my life.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I have drank rum many times since my family comes from the Caribbean mostly homemade stuff and have drank the cheap popular stuff mixed with cola and whatever. I am mostly a Gin and Whiskey guy but after a recent conversation with a coworker about rum and discovering this thread I am open to trying more rum.

So far got this rhum barbancourt estate reserve, not bad but when i think about rum I am thinking the taste will be sweet and smooth. Its not as sweet as i imagine rum to be and does seem to have a bit of a kick. This bottle may take a while for me to finish.

pMkgZWS.jpg

I am getting a raise soon so i think I will take a drive out to the few stores I googled that sells some of the recommended stuff I think I will try Dictador or Zacapa 23 since I know those are in stock but will get Diplomatico instead if they have it.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have drank rum many times since my family comes from the Caribbean mostly homemade stuff and have drank the cheap popular stuff mixed with cola and whatever. I am mostly a Gin and Whiskey guy but after a recent conversation with a coworker about rum and discovering this thread I am open to trying more rum.

So far got this rhum barbancourt estate reserve, not bad but when i think about rum I am thinking the taste will be sweet and smooth. Its not as sweet as i imagine rum to be and does seem to have a bit of a kick. This bottle may take a while for me to finish.

pMkgZWS.jpg

I am getting a raise soon so i think I will take a drive out to the few stores I googled that sells some of the recommended stuff I think I will try Dictador or Zacapa 23 since I know those are in stock but will get Diplomatico instead if they have it.

You've got me curious. This one has some very high ratings from around the community.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/4440/barbancourt-rum-15-year-old

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
SolidChamp, I gotta say thank you for making this thread, as it drove me to try Diplomatico RE which I now love. I see your more recent recommendations veer away from sweet rums, but those are definitely my preferred style. Given that, what's the next one you think I should try? The Plantation XO and Pineapple sound pretty appealing. Any better options?

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
You've got me curious. This one has some very high ratings from around the community.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/4440/barbancourt-rum-15-year-old

I too looked up reviews for barbancourt 15 year old after tasting it and it does seem highly rated by people that have tried it but it does equally have some stark low ratings from other websites

I liked the review from the rum howler he does break down how not only the spelling is different but how its made is different from other styles of rum. I guess that is why the taste took me by surprise a little.

https://therumhowlerblog.com/rum-reviews/dark-rums/barbancourt-15-year-old-estate-reserve/

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SolidChamp, I gotta say thank you for making this thread, as it drove me to try Diplomatico RE which I now love. I see your more recent recommendations veer away from sweet rums, but those are definitely my preferred style. Given that, what's the next one you think I should try? The Plantation XO and Pineapple sound pretty appealing. Any better options?

Absolutely try Plantation XO. I think that's a guaranteed winner. My wife, who loves Diplomatico, was blown away by Plantation XO.

I also tried Zaya Gran Reserva 12 at that rum bar I mentioned above. My friend ordered it and let me have a sip.

https://www.rumratings.com/brands/1030-zaya-gran-reserva-12-year

zaya-gran-reserva-12-years.jpg

This stuff definitely gets the job done if you're looking for a sweeter rum. It's like a sweeter version of Zacapa 23. Very comparable to Diplomatico RE.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely try Plantation XO. I think that's a guaranteed winner. My wife, who loves Diplomatico, was blown away by Plantation XO.

I also tried Zaya Gran Reserva 12 at that rum bar I mentioned above. My friend ordered it and let me have a sip.

https://www.rumratings.com/brands/1030-zaya-gran-reserva-12-year

zaya-gran-reserva-12-years.jpg

This stuff definitely gets the job done if you're looking for a sweeter rum. It's like a sweeter version of Zacapa 23. Very comparable to Diplomatico RE.

Right on, thanks. Between these options I'll be set for a while.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A friend just gifted me a bottle of Captain Morgan Private Stock. Picked it up during his travels and brought it back with him for me. Such a great gift for a rum fanatic like myself.

Stuff is good! Easy to drink neat. I don't think the vanilla is too overpowering like some here have said, but that's down to personal taste. It's also recommended to drink it on the rocks with a twist of lime but I've yet to try that.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Another good Sailor Jerrys night. I highly recommend this one.

- 92 Proof, but doesnt taste 92 proof. (I recommend on the rocks for a smoother taste)
- Dark Caramel taste with hints of black licorice?
- Great price point. ~16 bucks for a liter.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've started mixing Captain Morgan Private Stock with Perrier Lemon and a twist of lime on the rocks. Very refreshing if you want something that's not sweet like Captain and coke. For my wife I also added a splash of Malibu Rum to that to give it a flavor kick and she really digs it as well.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sailor Jerry's is great buuut I find as I get older it gives me heartburn the next day. Rum is delightful, though, and there's such a range of flavors among different rum.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else try St Lucia Chariman's reserve spiced rum? It's good shit.

The chilling rocks will save me from having to put ice in my rum; I HATE the taste of watered-down spirits. It never, ever enhances the flavor for me and always ends up tasting like diluted alcohol. Yuck.

Good large clear ice cubes sort of solve the problem as they dissolve much slower, causing much less dilution. But if you don't like even a tiny bit of water then chilling stones are the best bet.