• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I''m totally not gonna be the first to mention this, but I had to do quite the double take on that title.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Fucking love rum. Have tried different rum bars all over the world, and probably upwards of 100 different varieties at this point.

Best part about it? It's a far less sniffy and uptight crowd than whisky or wine tends to be.

Plus, you can buy the best rum in the world for a few grand... somewhat less than the best whisky would cost you. :D

Edit - Oh, and a recommendation. This one's a bit "different":

rum_old8.jpg

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/24202/admiral-vernons-old-j-spiced-tiki-fire-rum

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://vinepair.com/articles/ron-zacapa-rum-guide/

Thought this write up was a nice little introduction to Zacapa:

RON ZACAPA'S (FEMALE) MASTER DISTILLER IS A FORCE OF NATURE.
Master distiller Lorena Vásquez is a force to be reckoned with. A Nicaraguan transplant, Vásquez has a background in pharmaceutical chemistry and found her way to booze via beer. She built her three-decade career on a backbone of technical expertise, but her soul is rum — she relies most importantly on a profound trust of her own palate, which is meticulous, persnickety, and generally absolutely correct.

YOU SHOULD KEEP THE HAND-WOVEN RING ON THE BOTTLE.
A lot of bottle swag is exactly that — swag, the final touches of branding. In other words, bizarro decoration from a marketing team groping at authenticity with kitschy regional signifiers. But the woven rings on Ron Zacapa 23 are the real thing. Another of Lorena Vásquez's passion projects to showcase and financially empower local communities, the rings are made from dried palm leaves and hand-woven by local indigenous women in the petate-style of the Guatemalan Maya.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've only had 23 once and to be honest, I can't remember it. Sadly I was a bit too drunk to be drinking the good stuff. =/

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found Mount Gay Black Barrel at Costco here in Taipei. Came in a boxed giftset with a really high-quality lowball glass that's really quite thick and heavy and is on the large size for a lowball. Really nice find at $25 USD.

I can highly recommend Mount Gay Black Barrel (or the XO) for anyone who's into rums that have an oaky, yet smooth, flavor with a touch of sweetness for good measure. It's in the same range/classification as Havana Club 7, I'd say.

Really good stuff.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought the Flor de Cana 25 years rum, and in my opinion it is terrible and you don't get what you pay for at all..
for a 25 year rum it is very harsh and the taste is not that remarkable, i was a bit surprised because it has favorable reviews, also looked at everything from bottle to packaging and it is not a fake (something i considered after tasting it)
if you served me a glas of this and asked me to judge the age from the taste i would guess 7-12 years, and if it was priced like that i would still buy other better tasting rums in that age group. Also had a couple of friends taste it without me giving them any hints of my opinion or what i was serving them, and they came to somewhat the same conclusion
So now i am sitting here with a 25 year expensive rum that i am considering using for mixing drinks.. lolz :-D

My recommendation is to use your money on Appleton Estate 21+ or a Plantation Rum 20+ instead

this is in my opinion a waste of money
flor-de-cana-25-year-old-rum.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the Flor de Cana 25 years rum, and in my opinion it is terrible and you don't get what you pay for at all..
for a 25 year rum it is very harsh and the taste is not that remarkable, i was a bit surprised because it has favorable reviews, also looked at everything from bottle to packaging and it is not a fake (something i considered after tasting it)
if you gave me a glas of this this and asked me to judge the age from the taste i would guess 7-12 years, and if it was priced like that i would still buy other better tasting rums in that age group. Also had a couple of friends taste it without me giving them any hints of my opinion or what it was i was serving them, and they came to somewhat the same conclusion)
So now i am sitting here with a 25 year expensive rum that i am considering using for mixing drinks.. lolz :-D

use your money on Appleton Estate 21+ or a Plantation Rum 20+ instead

this is in my taste a waste of money
flor-de-cana-25-year-old-rum.jpg

Oh my that is a shame! I wouldn't know anything about the 25 year; I only have the 18 year in my cabinet and I like it well enough but it's not at the top of my list of favorites. I find it fairs better after being left to breathe for 10-15 minutes. Then the notes of nutmeg really come out and it reminds me of a good spiced eggnog.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've only tried the 7. Found it too sweet.

Related, missus was in a rum bar in new york last night... quite a selection (sorry for pic quality).

r1jvclp.png

r252csd.png

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that is impressive! Would want to check that place out next time in New York but...are those the prices per glass?!

Dang.

Edit: Ooh they have the El Dorado 25 year rum. That stuff is $500+ a bottle. But for $55 I might be persuaded to treat myself to a glass.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Ah - someone discovered Rum House. It's really good - especially after people leave for their theater shows and it empties out.

I'll go there on the way home from work sometimes.

Really enjoy that place and they make a mean cocktail.

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
How many people here drink it straight or with coke? Because was in SA over Christmas and I met one of my dad's friends who is a huge rum drinker that woyld only ever have it with coke.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
How many people here drink it straight or with coke? Because was in SA over Christmas and I met one of my dad's friends who is a huge rum drinker that woyld only ever have it with coke.

Rum and Cola is very good - but it depends on the Cola you use. Get some of that cane sugar Coke, some fresh squeezed lime juice and it's pretty sublime - Cuba Libre is a really, really good drink when it's made right with a solid rum.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I mean its the only way I drink it ahah

Rum is super versatile, plenty to mix and play with... all about finding the attributes of rum and building a drink around them that showcase the rum, rather than have it just be jet fuel.

There's not many ways to do it wrong, drink it the way you like, but definitely explore it - I think this thread is really good about the idea of exploration of rum being fun

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
When the wife and I are trying rums we usually get it neat on the side, with a glass of ice and a bottle of coke (zero works best for us, but it tastes different in the UK).

If we like the rum as is, awesome. If not, we add ice. If it's still not doing it, we add the coke.

We've tried a number of rums that actually taste far more interesting with coke as it can bring out hidden flavours.

Ah - someone discovered Rum House. It's really good - especially after people leave for their theater shows and it empties out.

I'll go there on the way home from work sometimes.

Really enjoy that place and they make a mean cocktail.

Yeah, I'm quite envious (she's over there with her sister rather than me).

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Have you tried the 18? Or anything else that was recommended in this thread, for that matter?

Haven't tried the 18.. but if i found somewhere i could get a glass i would.. this is what i currently have on tap:

0yfC1f5.jpg

The Millonario is only full because i emptied it's older brother this weekend :-P
Other rum i usually have, but disappeared during this summer vacation is Diplomático Reserva and Ron Millionairo 15 (and they will be back in the collection again, gone through multiple bottles.. diplomatico is always the ladies friend)
other rum i had in the past was Plantation 20th Anniversary XO (would buy again), Mount Gay XO, Havana Club 7, Dictador 12.. and some other stuff i don't remember, also have other bottles not worth mentioning..

Some of my friends have similar collections and we buy new bottles we find and bring it to our own little tasting a couple of times a year, but yes will have a look through this thread to see if there are any good ideas.. the bar list some posts ago is awesome.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
If I ever properly get moved in I'll take a picture of mine. I think I've maybe got 30 bottles at the moment (some complete crap). I'd have more, but I have a habit of drinking it. ;)

Funnily enough I've got a special rum set aside for when all the house crap is sorted.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
You lot might find this interesting...

A rum distillery in the garden of England? Yes indeed! We take a trip to Greensand Ridge Distillery.

-----------------

The molasses used at Greensand, as in most places, is a byproduct of sugar refining. From the beginning Edge's ethos has been about using food waste as much as possible. In fact there's something of the Womble about him, making good use of the things that he finds, the things that most everyday folk leave behind. His apple brandy is made from what he calls "wonky fruit" that growers can't sell for eating. The brandy will depend largely on the fruit he can obtain. At the moment "we are mainly using pollinator varieties such as Golden Delicious which are delicate and aromatic".

https://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/post/checking-out-kentish-rum-at-greensand-ridge.aspx

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Interesting topic that I wish I hadn't stumbled upon until now. I have been a drinker of rum for maybe 8 years. Whiskey was what I drank before that but I had enough of that. Just couldn't enjoy it anymore. Too sweet. I mostly have been drinking scotch in between both.

Color me surprised to hear about all this good aged rum! I've been oblivious here, drinking my Sailor Jerrys.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting topic that I wish I hadn't stumbled upon until now. I have been a drinker of rum for maybe 8 years. Whiskey was what I drank before that but I had enough of that. Just couldn't enjoy it anymore. Too sweet. I mostly have been drinking scotch in between both.

Color me surprised to hear about all this good aged rum! I've been oblivious here, drinking my Sailor Jerrys.

Welcome, friend, to a whole new world!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Sailor Jerry's aint a bad gateway drug. :)

Unrelated, interestingly that Greensand Ridge lot suggest drinking their rum with a tart apple juice. I don't think I've ever tried rum with apple... could be real interesting!

Our perfect serve is in a highball glass with plenty of ice, and a premium and slightly tart apple juice. Try 50ml of spirit and 75ml of apple juice. Add a sprig of mint to garnish.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Welcome, friend, to a whole new world!

Thank you. I never realized there was some great aged rum put there. I'm puerto rican and was mostly exposed to b
Bacardi and Don Q by relatives. Still surprised to see Don Q held in such a high regard by them today (they think bacardi ls garbage). Always figured maybe me drinking Sailor Jerry's was a middle ground.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe, the trip is already costing me a fortune so I'm either going to say "fuck it, i'll be poor anyway" or be sensible. lol

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got my wife to grab me some Ron Zacapa 23 on the way back from NYC.

Outstanding choice. I actually ran out of a 750ml bottle recently and could't resist restocking with a liter, which I haven't opened yet but plan to soon.

To be honest, I think I prefer the Zacapa 23 to the XO quite a bit. The XO is really nice, but it's not as smooth or nuanced and rich in flavor as the 23, which is really odd to me considering the price difference. The XO has this burnt brown sugar/molasses thing going on which is enjoyable, but the 23 wins out for me with a variety of flavors (licorice, vanilla, spice, etc.)

Zacapa 23 is in my top 3 favorites.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I think once you get to the really high end people are looking for very specific things that may not vibe with your palette. Thankfully there aren't' any wrong answers, especially when it comes to rum. :)

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think once you get to the really high end people are looking for very specific things that may not vibe with your palette. Thankfully there aren't' any wrong answers, especially when it comes to rum. :)

This is true. At the same price point I'm enjoying Plantation XO more than I am Zacapa XO, as an example.

Plantation XO has an amazing toasted coconut thing going on, which is more subtle and easier on the palette than the much stronger taste of the Zacapa XO.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, plantation has some lovely rums. They stock quite a few of them at a Cuban bar near me.

Related, I really must visit Cuba at some point.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey El_TigroX, have you tried both the El Dorado 12 and the 15? If so, how do they differ? Which one do you like more?

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've not opened that one yet (probably not for a few weeks). I tried the Balla... was fucking awful, like drinking treacle with a bit of rum in it.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife got me a bottle of Kraken for fathers day. It was so smooth and has such a strong vanilla flavour, I loved it.

Now I'm trying to decide what to get today. I'm tossing up between the Mount Gay XO and the Plantation Stiggins Fancy.

Edit: I decided on Mount Gay because it made my wife giggle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife got me a bottle of Kraken for fathers day. It was so smooth and has such a strong vanilla flavour, I loved it.

Now I'm trying to decide what to get today. I'm tossing up between the Mount Gay XO and the Plantation Stiggins Fancy.

Edit: I decided on Mount Gay because it made my wife giggle.

I got some of the Black Barrel and I really enjoy it l. Comparable to Havana Club 7. The XO is also exceptional. Good choice!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Was at a rum bar in Bath last night. Fidel.

Great fucking place, guys running the place had a good knowledge and were properly friendly. Spent a decent amount of money but tried a good few rums.