• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
...find the sword of Godric Gryffindor in some random ass pond? I know that Snape's patronus is a doe so he must have been the one trying to give Harry the sword, but why there and how and when?

As an aside it's been a while since I've read the books and I just watched Deathly Hallows part 1 last night. I actually really enjoyed it since I've forgotten a lot of what happens in it. Better than the Half Blood Prince by a mile so far.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
...find the sword of Godric Gryffindor in some random ass pond? I know that Snape's patronus is a doe so he must have been the one trying to give Harry the sword, but why there and how and when?

As an aside it's been a while since I've read the books and I just watched Deathly Hallows part 1 last night. I actually really enjoyed it since I've forgotten a lot of what happens in it. Better than the Half Blood Prince by a mile so far.

Yeah, don't watch the movie adaptions and expect anything to make sense.

Snape put it in the pond. He was tracking Harry/Hermione by the portrait in her bag. He threw it in the lake because it was near where they were camping.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Here's a question I've been wondering:

If magic can be used to change all sorts of details about a person, from healing broken bones to changing hair color, can magic be used to give a non-magic person magical powers?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people use toilets and school kids use trains in Harry Potter when instant transmission is a thing. Can't they just transport their mess under a tree and themselves to school.

I didn't read past book four and that was at release date. I've only seen the movies.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Why do people use toilets and school kids use trains in Harry Potter when instant transmission is a thing. Can't they just transport their mess under a tree and themselves to school.

I didn't read past book four and that was at release date. I've only seen the movies.

Because if you try to use the Instant Transmission spell when you're 12 and dont know shit, you slice yourself in half.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hermione is the smartest person ever in the Wizarding world since Dumbledore. Except for when she forgets that y'know, Phineas Nigellus can HEAR.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
In the books there is a portrait of Sirius' ancestor who was a Headmaster of Hogwarts. Hermione took it from Sirius' house and the trio talked to it to get info on Hogwarts, since magical portraits can move from one to another.

Snape also used it to get info in the trio, and it heard Hermione mention their location, so Snape was able to apparate nearby and lure Harry out with his doe patronus to find where he placed the sword.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Why didn't fake Moody just grab Potter at any moment before the maze shit?
I always thought that, had he killed Harry then, Voldemort was planning messing with Harry's corpse to make it seem like he died to something in the maze then send the corpse back using the Portkey so Voldemort would be more able to hide his return.

Harry suddenly vanishing one day sends up more red flags then Harry dying in an accident during a tournament that did actually kill people in the past.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somebody DM Rowling and ask her to settle this
Rowling:

"Ah yes. The Sword of Gryffindor appeared because Harry had this HUUUUGE shit inside of him that was magical and spoke to the sword. They have a gay relationship the sword and this shit, so the sword made haste".

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
See, that's what I'd assume. But why?
Probably the Midi-chlorian equivalent or something. Although in Star Wars, Midi-chlorians are inside every living thing and simply having enough of them can grant you the ability to use the Force (I believe). I'm not sure. Guessing it has to do with simply being born of wizard blood, there's gotta be something biologically going on that can't just be given to a person unless it's from birth.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Probably the Midi-chlorian equivalent or something. Although in Star Wars, Midi-chlorians are inside every living thing and simply having enough of them can grant you the ability to use the Force (I believe). I'm not sure. Guessing it has to do with simply being born of wizard blood, there's gotta be something biologically going on that can't just be given to a person unless it's from birth.
I wonder if it's possible that something so intrinsic to one's biology could still be changed by a powerful and skilled enough wizard, and it just hadn't been done before. Bones can be regrown, after all.

Much like how Palpatine was capable of things that weren't possible for any other force user.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hermione is the smartest person ever in the Wizarding world since Dumbledore. Except for when she forgets that y'know, Phineas Nigellus can HEAR.

She does remember, though. She always stashes the portrait in the bag whenever they're talking about anything important. It was just dumb luck that they mentioned the name of the forest they were staying in when the bag was still a little open. Being smart doesn't mean you're perfect.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but its not a quick woosh you are dead. the final confrontation is actually pretty great as Harry pretty much owns Voldermot by explaining to him how the elder wand doesnt belong to him and how voldermot is basically no match for harry.

much better than them two pointing at each other and then one guy wins because reasons.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
but its not a quick woosh you are dead. the final confrontation is actually pretty great as Harry pretty much owns Voldermot by explaining to him how the elder wand doesnt belong to him and how voldermot is basically no match for harry.

much better than them two pointing at each other and then one guy wins because reasons.
Yeah really sounds like it.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure in the first four books, in every book probably, Hermoine mentions you can't apparate in or out of Hogwarts because she's read Hogwarts: A History. (and they talk about needing to be of age and passing a test to apparate in Book 6 I think)

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
She does remember, though. She always stashes the portrait in the bag whenever they're talking about anything important. It was just dumb luck that they mentioned the name of the forest they were staying in when the bag was still a little open. Being smart doesn't mean you're perfect.

Oh, I thought he heard it (and everything else) through the bag while it was closed. I'm actually in the middle of re-reading the whole series with my kid right now and we're on Deathly Hollows, but aren't quite there yet, so I'm misremembering. Okay, good point.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

Instead of a bombastic duel, Harry taunts Voldemort with an exposition dump that spells out why he's going to lose. It's actually pretty excellent.
Just looked it up and wow. They really screwed that up. I think it would have been great on film. I really don't understand why they do shit like this.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just looked it up and wow. They really screwed that up. I think it would have been great on film. I really don't understand why they do shit like this.
read up on the ending of the half blood prince. my wife told me they got rid of an entire battle after dumbledore dies. instead we just get them literally walking out of hogwarts.

i have yet to read that part but man its so fucking ridiculous.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I'm pretty sure in the first four books, in every book probably, Hermoine mentions you can't apparate in or out of Hogwarts because she's read Hogwarts: A History. (and they talk about needing to be of age and passing a test to apparate in Book 6 I think)
That was a disappointment of mine with the OOTP, HBP, DH1/2, and the Fantastic Beasts movies. They make apparating look so easy and versatile with people zooming around rooms and shit.

That's not what it was like in the books, and that's why it wasn't used so regularly and cavalierly.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Why didn't fake Moody just grab Potter at any moment before the maze shit?
Voldemort did not want people (Dumbledore) to know he was back yet. They were trying to kill Harry but send him back with the Tri-Wizard cup so that it looked like he died in the competition and people would not know how it happened.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah they botched it. And the fact that Voldemort just dies and is a body is a big deal. Him vaporizing reduced the impact of him actually being dead (since that is what happened before and he came back).

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I only saw the last movie once, but isn't the end like...Harry chasing Voldemort on a fucking broom or some shit? Lmao

The book fight was great, because Harry crushes Voldemort's ego by detailing how he fucked up multiple times, how the fact that he never loved or cared for anyone was the ultimate reason he was about to take a dirt nap, before Harry basically makes Voldy kill himself.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that billions of humans armed with modern weaponry and nuclear weaponry don't do anything about crazy dark wizards is the plot hole that stuck with me. WTH is going on with the rest of the people in the world in the Harry Potter universe. Snape hiding a sword near somoene is far less confusing to me then that one.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
IIRC the sword had to be placed in such a way that it would be a challenge to reach it so that's why Snape had to place it at the bottom of a frozen pond.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's because they didn't shit on the floor enough? Ever thought about that?
Somebody DM Rowling and ask her to settle this

Do you think after they take a dump on the floor and disappear it that other people can still feel it? So they'd know when they'd stood in a pile of invisible shit.

In the books there is a portrait of Sirius' ancestor who was a Headmaster of Hogwarts. Hermione took it from Sirius' house and the trio talked to it to get info on Hogwarts, since magical portraits can move from one to another.

Snape also used it to get info in the trio, and it heard Hermione mention their location, so Snape was able to apparate nearby and lure Harry out with his doe patronus to find where he placed the sword.

God, that sounds like a convoluted mess. Did we even know at that point that Snape was actually a good guy super-secret triple agent?

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The fact that billions of humans armed with modern weaponry and nuclear weaponry don't do anything about crazy dark wizards is the plot hole that stuck with me. WTH is going on with the rest of the people in the world in the Harry Potter universe. Snape hiding a sword near somoene is far less confusing to me then that one.
Normal humans don't even know this shit is going on, breh. That's like plot point A1 of this entire thing. And Voldemort was actively trying to infiltrate governments and imperius muggle government officials. They actively put protection around the Prime Minister to avoid this happening.