• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just taking a look at Shigeru Miyamoto's extensive gameography, and noticed that his director roles seem to go away after the N64 generation.

I'm ignorant when it comes to game development, but is there any information on how extensively Miyamoto has been involved in Nintendo projects since then?

I'm sure it varies from series-to-series, but it'd be interesting to know which titles Miyamoto has played a huge role in. I'm assuming he's taken on more a consultant role at this point, as opposed to a more hands-on director/designer?

Would be awesome to hear how involved he was in Nintendo's most recent "masterpieces."

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC his last 'big' project was Wii Music.

Other than that he is more of a producer, 'elder guide' at Nintendo. The teams probably ask for his input but he isnt that hands-on anymore.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
A producer is still really significant to a project, especially if he has a creative background.

Also "Original Concept&Design" of Mario Galaxy...Shigeru Miyamoto.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
He's mainly been the producer role with lot's of creative input/ideas. I'm so glad he gave us the visors concept for the Prime series.

"Mike Wikan likes to tell a story about Mr. Miyamoto asking us during the early design phases of Prime 1, 'What would it be like if Samus had a bug's head?'" – Brian Walker, Senior Producer

"And at the time, I remember going back to our office and saying, 'Switching heads? What does that have to do with Metroid?'" – Mike Wikan, Senior Designer

"He wasn't asking if she had the head of a fly…" – Walker

"…He was talking about the mechanic of altered perception as a whole." – Wikan

"And from that, the visor system came to be, where Samus could see different things with different visors and use that as a puzzle-solving element." – Walker

https://nintendoeverything.com/miya...the-visor-system-in-the-metroid-prime-series/

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just taking a look at Shigeru Miyamoto's extensive gameography, and noticed that his director roles seem to go away after the N64 generation.

I'm ignorant when it comes to game development, but is there any information on how extensively Miyamoto has been involved in Nintendo projects since then?

I'm sure it varies from series-to-series, but it'd be interesting to know which titles Miyamoto has played a huge role in. I'm assuming he's taken on more a consultant role at this point, as opposed to a more hands-on director/designer?

Would be awesome to hear how involved he was in Nintendo's most recent "masterpieces."

The last time he directed a game was in the 90s. In the 2000s he was more involved as producer, general producer and executive producer since he was the head of ead. He was pretty much involved in a major or minor way in the majority of nintendo games be it metroid prime, wind waker, galaxy, sunshine and other ones as a producer or general manager at pikmin, plimin 3 and others where he created the concept of the franchise, for example.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I remember a story on how he helped Retro Studios A LOT in the development of the original Metroid Prime.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I like to imagine he walks around different offices in a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops, giving one liners on how to make projects better

While smoking a cigarette

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
He was fairly involved in Mario Galaxy, Wii Music, Pikmin 3, Star Fox Zero, and others. Last thing he was head designer/director for was Pac-Man Vs. So he still gets hands on, or at least he did until he got involved with the theme park/movie stuff.

There is stuff where he's pretty much been purely an advisor for a while now -- he handed Zelda off to Aonuma a long time ago, for instance.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
He's the Stan Lee of video games. Occasionally pops up to collect a paycheck.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah he's been a producer/consultant for a long time but he can still pop in, play a game, and make demands that the team has to follow cuz he's freakin' Miyamoto.

And the role of Producer varies by company/studio. At EA for example Producers have more creative control over a project than others (Steve Gaynor talked about it with somebody on the Tone Control podcast).

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Not the point of the thread, but I think it's still incredible that he did direct games in the N64 days, more than 10 years after his first classics. It tells you how much of a fuckin genius he is, and how passionate he is. Most directors at Nintendo direct a few hits, then become producers, and they just don't have the time anymore to direct any games.
Miyamoto in the meanwhile, legendary game designer of the 2D platformer genre and 2D adventure genre, during the transition to 3D was like "hold my beer, it's not over, I'm going to end the game right now"
And then during the Gamecube and early Wii era he came up with some great ideas of design (Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Super Mario Galaxy...).

Now he's a precious supervisor and general producer, dude have seen so much things in this god damn industry, he's been involved in so much games in so many genres (RPG, FPS, platformers, adventure, action, arcade games, racers), working closely with japanese devs but even with western devs (Rare, Retro...). Dude is a legend.

Nov 23, 2017
IIRC his last 'big' project was Wii Music.

Other than that he is more of a producer, 'elder guide' at Nintendo. The teams probably ask for his input but he isnt that hands-on anymore.
Pikmin 3 was well after that.

I think there is a lack of understanding about producer and director at many Japanese developers (or really western ones too, it varies between companies) Often the producer has as much as or more influence and input than the director. Aonuma is not the director on botw for example.

About Miyamoto himself, it's classic gamer blind hate these days when his name is mentioned because of sticker star (which I hated as much as the next guy but it has a decent mc score and sold well) and star fox zero which was probably a blunder at all levels, not just at the top. As if any of that erases dozens upon dozens of amazing games as recently as 2013.

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I like to imagine he walks around different offices in a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops, giving one liners on how to make projects better

While smoking a cigarette
But, but, but the man quit smoking! lol (I too imagine him in a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops giving one liners on how to make projects better lol)
Kitano in Kikujiro style !
ete_de_kikujiro15.jpg

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
He's really proud of Pikmin. He's likely heavily involved in Pikmin 4.

OTOH, the only part of BotW he said he was in charge of was the mix of environmental sounds.

Another Nintendo old-timer, Koji Kondo, hasn't done heavy composition since the GameCube days. He only contributed one track to Skyward Sword, and wasn't even in the credits of BotW. His most recent work was Super Mario Maker, which was mostly remixes of his old stuff. Note that he's the head of the entire sound department, so has a lot on his plate.

EDIT: Kondo is credited with some Super Mario Odyssey composition.

Last edited:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Just enough to ruin Paper Mario forever.

In all seriousness, they've been talking a lot about teaching the "newer generation" and passing the baton to those younger designers for a while now. Miyamoto is probably overseeing everything, but only really going hands-on with one project at a time nowadays.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Another Nintendo old-timer, Koji Kondo, hasn't done heavy composition since the GameCube days. He only contributed one track to Skyward Sword, and wasn't even in the credits of BotW. His most recent work was Super Mario Maker, which was mostly remixes of his old stuff. Note that he's the head of the entire sound department, so has a lot on his plate.

He did compose a surprising amount of Super Mario Odyssey songs though

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Kondo is credited with some Super Mario Odyssey composition.
Kondo actually made a lot of Odyssey music.

The soundtrack CD lists composer credits for every piece of music in the game. What's funny is that when I checked the credits to all my favorite tracks, it turns out Kondo made almost all of them lol.

Kondo made the awesome Wooded Kingdom and Wooded Kingdom boss music, which was my favorite boss music. He also made the Bowser Kingdom (best Kingdom music) and boss music as well. He did other music as well like Lost Kingdom, Crazy Cap store, etc...

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Too much.

Shiggy forgot what good game design is.

From amazing design in LoZ and SMB to Star Fox Zero.

Read up on his control philosophy during Nintendo arcade games. He made a whole 180.

Oct 31, 2017
I think he is more of a mentor now. I remember reading articles when BOTW was being designed/created and the team showed off a build to him all he did was climb up trees and chop them down

Oct 31, 2017
To be perfectly honest after reading years of interviews and anecdotes about Nintendo games the impression I got is that he barely contributes anymore, often with some occasional vague "old dev wisdom", and then the young and talented actually doing most of the heavy lifting love to give him way more credit for it just out of respect.