• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
GamesBeat: How did you get connected with Marvel?
Ryan Payton: I was a journalist way back in the day. One of the folks I used to work with was Bryan Intihar, one of my best friends. Eventually, he became creative director on Spider-Man. Around the time they announced at E3 2016, he introduced me to Jay Ong, the head of Marvel Games, in the Marriott lobby, where all biz dev happens at E3. From there it was a snowball effect. I knew I'd love to work with Marvel and it seemed like they wanted to work with us on a VR game.

One thing led to another, and next thing I knew we were working with Marvel on Iron Man VR. We eventually created a partnership with Sony, and they've been extremely supportive. They've always been about wanting to enable developers like Camouflaj to make not just an experimental game, but a full-fledged real game for PlayStation VR. That's what we've been doing for the past two-and-a-half years.
GamesBeat: What had you done before that? Have you done anything else in VR?
Payton: Our first foray into VR was actually doing a VR port for our first game a company, which was called Republique. We did a game called Republique VR, which was a launch title for Oculus Go. We were working on that with a small team while the majority of the team — it's a 50-plus person team up in Seattle — was working on Iron Man VR. If you include contract help at the moment, we're well over 60 people on the game right now.
GamesBeat: What sort of story did you come up with? Is it related to the movies?
Payton: Iron Man VR is a completely original story, built from the ground up. We obviously take some inspiration from the comics of the films, but it's an original story. That's one of the things we first started off with, working with Bill Roseman, the creative director of Marvel Games. How can we create an authentic Iron Man story that leverages the strengths of VR? The immersiveness and the first-person nature.
GamesBeat: I wondered how you did that, because the sensors don't usually allow that.
Payton: We have some absolute wizards working at Camouflaj and our development partners at Dark Wind in New York. They weren't intimidated by the challenge of having only the single PlayStation VR camera. We designed the game so players can move around 360, uninhibited, and not have to worry about where they're looking and whether they're facing the camera. There's a bunch of tricks underneath the hood, a dozen or so unique things we're doing that are predictive, that use the gyroscope in the Move controllers.
GamesBeat: In the opening scene there, have we seen just a very small part of the game?
Payton:
What you played today was just a taste of what the full campaign is going to be. There's a lot more than 80 left of the game that you haven't seen. From the very beginning we pitched it as a full game, not an experimental demo. We don't know exactly how many hours the campaign will be because we're still building it, but our goal here is to create a Marvel-feeling, authentic Iron Man experience that PlayStation VR users can really sink their teeth into. It's not a linear campaign. It also has areas with optional missions, deep customization, and other things we'll be able to talk about soon.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/02/how-the-flying-fantasy-of-iron-man-vr-came-to-be-on-psvr/

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
We designed the game so players can move around 360, uninhibited, and not have to worry about where they're looking and whether they're facing the camera. There's a bunch of tricks underneath the hood, a dozen or so unique things we're doing that are predictive, that use the gyroscope in the Move controllers.

I am really curious to see how this goes. This should really help PSVR in a big way since it doesn't have the full 360-degree tracking physically.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I love that they're hyping up this "trick" that allows for PSVR to have 360 tracking. It's cool seeing them work around limitations to make the piece of tech punch above its weight so when that limitation is lifted in the future, we'll be feasting.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not expecting the tracking to work perfect when your back is turned. it's clear that some existing games handle that better than others, though. Astrobot is especially graceful when you have to turn around and look back over your couch. So I wouldn't be surprised if this works the best of anything so far.

also, there's a big variance and how well games handle the ones disappearing behind you, or moving out of the range of the camera.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting the tracking to work perfect when your back is turned. it's clear that some existing games handle that better than others, though. Astrobot is especially graceful when you have to turn around and look back over your couch. So I wouldn't be surprised if this works the best of anything so far.

also, there's a big variance and how well games handle the ones disappearing behind you, or moving out of the range of the camera.

Yeah Astrobot works pretty well on this. Still, you're resetting your camera/view position from time to time anyways.

I expect Iron Man will have some in-game guidance to rotate your viewpoint towards where the action is heaviest, hopefully in a more natural and faster way than, say, Doom VFR (which was fine for what that was), but something that integrates a bit more fluidly into the flight/suit controls.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Uuh, you should not be turning your back. This is PSVR. Where did you get the impression that you're going to do that? PSVR has one mounted camera. It allows for movement yes, but 360 turning (while you can physically do it) is controlled by the game pad or Move controllers to maintain tracking.

--

As far as the article goes, this was a major get, and it didn't feel that way watching the poor State of Play demonstration. But at the same time, considering that Spider-Man is a niche character does that make Iron Man uber niche?

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Uuh, you should not be turning your back. This is PSVR. Where did you get the impression that you're going to do that? PSVR has one mounted camera. It allows for movement yes, but 360 turning (while you can physically do it) is controlled by the game pad or Move controllers to maintain tracking.

--

As far as the article goes, this was a major get, and it didn't feel that way watching the poor State of Play demonstration. But at the same time, considering that Spider-Man is a niche character does that make Iron Man uber niche?
Who is this Iron-Man that you speak of? first time I am hearing about him.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US

--

Definitely. Another niche character in a niche platform. I need to see the Uber Niche-Man VR game cover meme with TrailerGate edition to replace PuddleGate.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting that the actual dev team wasn't owned by Sony when Marvel approached them. I hope they live to the potential these 2 major companies see in them.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I am really curious to see how this goes. This should really help PSVR in a big way since it doesn't have the full 360-degree tracking physically.
First thing I thought of when I read that.

I'm excited about PSVR 2. I assume there will be another version that will have better tech, probably updated Move, Dual Shock controllers too.

I love that they're hyping up this "trick" that allows for PSVR to have 360 tracking. It's cool seeing them work around limitations to make the piece of tech punch above its weight so when that limitation is lifted in the future, we'll be feasting.
Exactly.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

We designed the game so players can move around 360, uninhibited, and not have to worry about where they're looking and whether they're facing the camera. There's a bunch of tricks underneath the hood, a dozen or so unique things we're doing that are predictive, that use the gyroscope in the Move controllers.

Now, I don't expect a lot of having to turn around completely just due to getting tangled in wires. I'm sure most of the tricks they're talking about involves the Moves, since the headset has tracking LEDs on the back too.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Creativity is important with the limitations of PSVR :)

At the beginning there was only teleport movement with the moves but the devs circumvented this problem with an easy trick by holding the move or trigger button.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Sony used their movie license to get this exclusive

Oct 27, 2017

--

I turn around playing Astrobot all the time. Look backwards, shoot backwards, etc. Of course I can't do 360 in one direction without the cord getting in the way but I can look and play all around. The tracking is pretty good and only needs adjustment occasionally.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

--

Astrobot doesn't have any manual panning at all. and I'm not going to hide stuff 180° behind you all the time. The headset has lights on the back for a reason.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Sony used their movie license to get this exclusive

9e864de391464dc5a3d4953874bcbde7.gif

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I turn around playing Astrobot all the time. Look backwards, shoot backwards, etc. Of course I can't do 360 in one direction without the cord getting in the way but I can look and play all around. The tracking is pretty good and only needs adjustment occasionally.

Astro Bot is a unique case in that once you go past any area you can not backtrack. The issue here is that the game is based around finding robots (essentially Ape Escape), so when you pass a robot you can hear the yelling coming from behind you. As the game does not allow you to backtrack, and there is no turning locomotion, you do have to physically turn your head around to attempt to find the robot without having to go through the stage again.

It's a situation unique to Astro Bot due to the goal of the game, the placement of the lost robots and the fact that you can't backtrack. Also keep in mind Astro Bot uses the Dual Shock, this game uses the Move controllers. As i said you can physically do it, but it's not something you want to base your game around and I highly doubt this developer is talking about playing with your back to the camera. If they are I'm going to start to worry about the reliability of the tracking for this game, I don't know that there's tech they can come up with to make up with the lack of roomscale to the point where playing with your back to the camera is reliable.

I just don't think that's what's being discussed here.

Oct 27, 2017
Astro Bot is a unique case in that once you go past any area you can not backtrack. The issue here is that the game is based around finding robots (essentially Ape Escape), so when you pass a robot you can hear the yelling coming from behind you. As the game does not allow you to backtrack, and there is no turning locomotion, you do have to physically turn your head around to attempt to find the robot without having to go through the stage again.

It's a situation unique to Astro Bot due to the goal of the game, the placement of the lost robots and the fact that you can't backtrack. Also keep in mind Astro Bot uses the Dual Shock, this game uses the Move controllers. As i said you can physically do it, but it's not something you want to base your game around and I highly doubt this developer is talking about playing with your back to the camera. If they are I'm going to start to worry about the reliability of the tracking for this game, I don't know that there's tech they can come up with to make up with the lack of roomscale to the point where playing with your back to the camera is reliable.

I agree that it seems this type of game can't support full player input when rotated 180 from front, like you said due to the use of the move controllers and such. It's going to be interesting how they solve being able to play and rotate (without physically rotating the move controllers so far away from the camera).

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

Well none of these excuses make it so you shouldn't be turning around with psvr. You say 'uh you shouldn't ever do that', we have a case where the game is designed around that, and now all this explanation for why that doesn't count. Case closed?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Today is the Marvel Games Panel and Iron Man will be there.

The Marvel Games Comic-Con 2019 Hall H panel is held on Thursday July 18, at 1:30pm-3:15pm PST/4:30pm-6:15pm EST/9:30pm-11:15pm BST. Marvel's promised new content from the upcoming Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, as well as a look at Marvel's Iron Man VR. The highlight will be gameplay from Crystal Dynamics' upcoming third-person action game, Marvel's Avengers.

Anything known about a stream ?

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

Astro Bot isn't really doing any unique in regards to turning around. The PSVR headset can handle facing the other way reasonably well due to having tracking lights on the back of it. The PSVR being a forward-facing device is due to the controllers being easily obscured if facing the other way. Astro Bot is no better than anything else in this regards, losing tracking almost immediately if you even hold the controller too low for the camera to see clearly.

I'd assume the challenges they're talking about in regards to Iron Man VR would be because you effectively hold the moves behind you to propel yourself forwards (and vice versa to push backwards), which could lead to them being obscured at various angles.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
If this game is really, really, REALLY good I might consider getting a used PSVR. This way I could also try the Battlefront 2 and Infinite Warfare VR levels with the spaceships.

I already have a Gear VR (mostly for... research) and a Pimax 5K, neither of which I use at all at the moment. They're just wasting space and collecting dust. Ugh.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it seems this type of game can't support full player input when rotated 180 from front, like you said due to the use of the move controllers and such. It's going to be interesting how they solve being able to play and rotate (without physically rotating the move controllers so far away from the camera).

It should be simple, since Iron Man has thrusters on his hands it should be pretty easy to give you the ability to turn yourself around just by correct hand placement to account for thrust and maybe a button to activate the actual thrusters

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
If this game is really, really, REALLY good I might consider getting a used PSVR. This way I could also try the Battlefront 2 and Infinite Warfare VR levels with the spaceships.

I already have a Gear VR (mostly for... research) and a Pimax 5K, neither of which I use at all at the moment. They're just wasting space and collecting dust. Ugh.

the VR mission is in Battlefront 1..

really the psvr exclusives you should be targeting are Astro Bot, RE7 VR, Wipeout Omega Collection, Blood & Truth...and some more that escaped my mind currently.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US

really the psvr exclusives you should be targeting are Astro Bot, RE7 VR, Wipeout Omega Collection, Blood & Truth...and some more that escaped my mind currently.
Farpoint (only if you plan to get the amazing Aim controller) & Firewall which also utilizes the Aim controller, Tetris Effect (which is admittedly going multiplat and if you like tetris but with orgasmic effects), Deracine (if you like an eerie atmospheric story), and Rigs (if you like a really polished arena mech game).

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017

Oh ok, my mistake. To be honest I'm mostly interested in space stuff and I like Iron Man. Like I said I already have headsets that have dozens of potentially good games and I don't even use them. I played a bit of Elite Dangerous with the Pimax (and Oculus dev kit before that) but that's about it. It's just too much of a bother to use a headset compared to dropping my lazy ass on my couch and turning on the TV and PC/console.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
oh we might be getting a release date today? just got my PSVR yesterday, and boy it is amazing.
if its as good as the previews said i will probably pick it up.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Oh ok, my mistake. To be honest I'm mostly interested in space stuff and I like Iron Man. Like I said I already have headsets that have dozens of potentially good games and I don't even use them. I played a bit of Elite Dangerous with the Pimax (and Oculus dev kit before that) but that's about it. It's just too much of a bother to use a headset compared to dropping my lazy ass on my couch and turning on the TV and PC/console.
then wipeout omega collection will be right up your alley....at least......cockpit in a futuristic hovercraft and shooting missiles and lasers is 'spacey' enough i think...

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I'll add Superhot, Beat Saber, Moss and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.
Or The Persistence, Ghost Giant, Sairento VR, Borderlands 2 VR, Statik, Rez Infinite, Red Matter, Trover saves the Universe, Polybius, Xing, Falcon Age etc...

PSVR has a strong library :)

Zephyriel stated they have a Pimax, which was why RestEerie was recommending only exclusive titles. Some of these additional selections are valid also, but wouldn't imagine someone with a Pimax would opt for Superhot, Sairento and the like on PSVR.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Zephyriel stated they have a Pimax, which was why RestEerie was recommending only exclusive titles. Some of these additional selections are valid also, but wouldn't imagine someone with a Pimax would opt for Superhot, Sairento and the like on PSVR.

Ok...sry that I mentioned some good PSVR games xD

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Even if that dude already got a PC it's always a good idea to post PSVR best games for newcomers like Modiz

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Or The Persistence, Ghost Giant, Sairento VR, Borderlands 2 VR, Statik, Rez Infinite, Red Matter, Trover saves the Universe, Polybius, Xing, Falcon Age etc...

PSVR has a strong library :)

Haven't played those so can't recommend :)

Edit: Actually I did play Rez and it's pretty cool. And of course it's allowed, threads like this are the best place to drop recommendation s

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Haven't played those so can't recommend :)

Edit: Actually I did play Rez and it's pretty cool. And of course it's allowed, threads like this are the best place to drop recommendation s

I haven't played Sairento, Red Matter and Falcon Age yet but the scores and impressions what I saw were mostly positive ;)

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Ok...sry that I mentioned some good PSVR games xD

I was just saying that some of them likely wouldn't apply as recommendations for that user if they already have access to them with a Pimax.

I agree with Thorrgal though, that the recommendations are probably of benefit to someone else though that may be reading, so it's whatever I guess. I'd probably just separate the recommendations that were exclusive from those that aren't so the person being recommended to could easily parse which ones would make sense in their case.