• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
With Kathleen Kennedy or whoever they replace her with focusing solely on the business side, making his vision profitable?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With Kathleen Kennedy or whoever they replace her with

230114_908223010.jpg

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lucasfilm isn't set up like that. They let their Directors come in and write the movies they want to write either entirely or with some minimal guideline like "A Young Han Solo movie taking place before the original movie".

I do wish they would let him write/direct a live action film though.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Bro, imagine if shit like A World Between Worlds, Bendu or Kanan Loth-wolves showed up in a mainline Star Wars film. The new shit in TLJ had people heated but now try to picture that stuff.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'll bite. What is a "creative director," what do they do, and what job tasks would Filoni be assigned with doing under this role?

Oct 25, 2017
I like Filoni, but creative director of Star Wars is a bit of a leap to take from directing cartoons. Obviously Lucasfilm would know a lot more about Filoni's ideas, work ethic, timeliness, etc. but from my narrow view it seems like he needs to prove himself a bit more with the upcoming shows.

Kennedy ain't leavin'

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't I just tell everyone Gunn was just the testing waters? Now, watch them come for Kennedy.

Dec 12, 2017
Okay, I'll bite. What is a "creative director," what do they do, and what job tasks would Filoni be assigned with doing under this role?

Every " Filoni should be the creative director" take usually involves him effectively becoming Kevin Feige and being in charge of the overall movie narrative roadmap.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You realize most of the Filoni stuff you love is Lucas stuff, right?
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Lucas was like a mentor to him/he was like an apprentice. So the way he thinks about these stories is very influenced by Lucas and he is thus perhaps the closest to understanding Star Wars is like Lucas was/approaching Star Wars in the same was as him. But plenty of ideas and stories that have gone into the Star Wars content that Filoni has written/directed/produced was from him. He wasn't just doing everything George wanted. He's added to Star Wars in a way George couldn't by nature of being a different person and adding new ideas to the franchise.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every " Filoni should be the creative director" take usually involves him effectively becoming Kevin Feige and being in charge of the overall movie narrative roadmap.
Sure, but that role straight up doesn't exist at Lucasfilm.

I mean, maybe it should. But for now it doesn't. If it ever did exist I can't think of a better candidate for the job than Filoni, although I don't ever see him wholly spearheading the company. Kennedy will remain in that spot until she doesn't want it anymore. And it requires business acumen Filoni may not have or want.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Filoni want to take on a boring behind the scenes executive job instead of make cartoons?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly confident she will be leaving. The Ankler doesn't make up stuff, they certainly were right about John Lasseter in the same newsletter, and their most recent piece on Laika seems to be true too.

https://mailchi.mp/85afc9a51c36/lasssedammerung?e=a414e30abe

I'm sure she'll probably be on her way out once the ST is over, but they're either going to replace her with another Hollywood stalwart or another executive within the company, not Dave Filoni.

Even if he is George's padawan.

Dec 12, 2017
I also heard black people don't watch SW

Because of Finn

Well, Finn ain't shit but I still watch SW.

Sure, but that role straight up doesn't exist at Lucasfilm.

I mean, maybe it should. But for now it doesn't. If it ever did exist I can't think of a better candidate for the job than Filoni, although I don't ever see him wholly spearheading the company. Kennedy will remain in that spot until she doesn't want it anymore. And it requires business acumen Filoni may not have or want.

If SW was interested in building an interconnected cinematic universe, then sure, that role might make sense. Seeing how they are giving the GoT guys and RJ their playgrounds, as well as the Favreau project, there is no reason to have a centralized writing brain trust.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Nay I say. He'd be stretched too thin and they'd never let him do crazy shit like the mortis gods and force priestesses in the movies. Give him more cartoons.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I'm also pretty sure making children's cartoons is a lot easier than being a director or supervisor of multiple movies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That isn't actually what Feige does at Marvel Studios. He allows each screenwriter and director to come up with their own story and then he offers advice or critique and then signs off on it, like any producer, while also ensuring they fit into a larger, 20-film narrative and don't punch any holes in what other directors are trying to do. He throws in ideas of his own, but he is not responsible for coming up with the stories of individual films.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather him just be given an era of his choice and free reign. Dude is way too good for the IP to be stuck in a boardroom all day

Dec 12, 2017
That isn't actually what Feige does at Marvel Studios. He allows each screenwriter and director to come up with their own story and then he offers advice or critique and then signs off on it, like any producer, while also ensuring they fit into a larger, 20-film narrative and don't punch any holes in what other directors are trying to do. He throws in ideas of his own, but he is not responsible for coming up with the stories of individual films.

That is exactly what being in charge of the "overall narrative roadmap" is.

I never said or implied Feige writes all these films.

OP
OP
Dizagaox

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
It'd be somebody that drives the creative vision for the franchise, essentially coordinating all the creative teams. What Lucas was doing before, though perhaps not directing.

There isn't really a position like it at the moment. Kathleen Kennedy brings in individuals that pitch ideas, she focuses on producing, with a team of people led by Pablo Hildago having to make sure it's on brand and fits together. Which is perhaps why the Disney era feels a little hodge podge, there isn't a guiding visionary setting the tone.

I think recent examples of creative directors (even if they're not called that) of franchises are Colin Treverrow with Jurassic World, JJ Abrams with Star Trek movies, and Justin Lin with Fast & Furious.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If SW was interested in building an interconnected cinematic universe, then sure, that role might make sense. Seeing how they are giving the GoT guys and RJ their playgrounds, as well as the Favreau project, there is no reason to have a centralized writing brain trust.

Right, I completely agree with you. That is the way it currently is. I do think though that it would mitigate risk and further ensure every movie is actually a success (like Marvel) if they did build the interconnected universe. Because at that point everyone feels compelled to see each movie lest they miss something.

Some of the (spoilery) moves they made in Solo seemed to indicate that they were at least dipping their toes in the water of going in this direction. But time will tell.

Like you point out, their current projects aren't set up for it, so it will be a few years at minimum. But if a regime change did happen, entire slates could be wiped clean too. Who knows.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would she be replaced? The franchise has been making bank since TFA!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, Finn ain't shit but I still watch SW.

No I don't think you understand.

You don't watch SW if you're black. And it's because of the tokenism of Finn.

According to a white lady who definitely knows the inner workings of the black psyche.

Oct 25, 2017
they'd never let him do crazy shit like the mortis gods and force priestesses in the movies.
The point is people want him as the creative director where he would be in control of the general content of everything going forward.
People suggest it entirely because that would mean if he wanted Mortis in X, the scriptwriter and director would need to put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.