• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I can't speak for the others in the series, but Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (the Xbox director's cut which had a first-person view) was the scariest game I've played. It's not like western horror games, it gets you with the surreal vibe and creepy factor the way Japanese horror films do so well. In FF2 you're basically trapped in an abandoned and supposedly cursed Japanese village. You don't have any weapons, just a camera. A special camera, but...still a camera.
Pretty much spot on; exactly how I feel.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can't speak for the others in the series, but Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (the Xbox director's cut which had a first-person view) was the scariest game I've played. It's not like western horror games, it gets you with the surreal vibe and creepy factor the way Japanese horror films do so well. In FF2 you're basically trapped in an abandoned and supposedly cursed Japanese village. You don't have any weapons, just a camera. A special camera, but...still a camera.

Came to post this.

Play part 2 for sure.

killatopak

Oct 26, 2017
I love them oh so much.

primary reasons for buying Wii and Wii U. I'm biased about it cause I love Japanese horror.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
I love all of the games, and 2 is probably the better one, but I want to give 3 some attention, you really should play it as well. (well, preferably after the first 2, there are some connections in the story that are more impactful knowing the previous characters)

The third game is longer, it has a different structure (you have a safe space/hub in your home, and you go to the usual haunted mansion scenario after you sleep) and it uses that to great effect. I love the contrast horror games can create by having a safe place, and the concept of your nightmares starting to affect the character in the real world is great. This fact also gives more variety in how the story goes, and it can be very interesting to see what happens in the normal world, I will leave it at that.

The story is also pretty good, handling some serious themes very well and having a genuinely emotional ending. The story also uses different characters, and the mansion is a little different for each one, which I thought was pretty cool. It's all in all a different experience from 1 and 2, and all the better for it;

It's honestly one of my favorite games, give it a shot!

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also both first 3 on psn some time ago. Finished the second: Crimson Butterfly, it was great. Don't expect Silent Hill or Resident, gameplay is completely different. Now I play the first one. So 2,1,3 lol.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
1 is good. A unique twist on survival horror.

2 is FANTASTIC. Especially the Xbox version that can be played entirely in first person.

Goes downhill from there

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Fatal Frame is my favorite horror series, and the Japanese angle is a huge part of that (same with Siren). I've always loved the helplessness you felt in those games, without going full-on Amnesia.

Orhyanos

Oct 28, 2017
Which version of Fatal Frame 2 is considered to be the best? I'm under the impression that Xbox > PS2 but what about the Wii version? Been meaning to play that game for quite a while but I'm not sure which version to buy.

Oct 25, 2017
Which version of Fatal Frame 2 is considered to be the best? I'm under the impression that Xbox > PS2 but what about the Wii version? Been meaning to play that game for quite a while but I'm not sure which version to buy.

Most definitely PS2 or XBOX in my opinion.
The Wii version has a huge amount of changes that I didn't care for. The older camera suits the atmosphere perfectly, and the Wii version takes away from it.

It's worth a play, but after the original.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
2's great, but 3 is the underrated gem. I really like the story and setting of it. It also uses jump scares sparingly, but to great effect.

wideface

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
I love Fatal Frame, especially 2 and 3.
I also want to echo what other users have said about Fatal Frame 3.
The sections inside the house in the real world were some of my favorites. Talking to Miku, the sound of rain, that feeling of restlessness from thinking you just might see a ghost as you walk by one of the rooms... The atmosphere is really on point.
Keep them coming, Koei Tecmo!

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Fatal Frame is probably my favorite horror series. What I particularly like about it is that it forces the player to focus on what's scaring them (ghosts/spirits), as you need to aim your camera at it. Not only that, but the longer you do it (and keep them in-frame) the more damage you'll do, and you can even deal bonus damage by attacking at the very last second (before the enemy attacks you). I also enjoy the traditional Japanese setting the games take place in.

I still wish Fatal Frame V had been released physically in NA. I haven't yet played it, due to my Wii U not having enough storage place to purchase/install it, and I'm not about to buy an external HDD to do so. :(

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1 is good. A unique twist on survival horror.

2 is FANTASTIC. Especially the Xbox version that can be played entirely in first person.

Goes downhill from there
Really have to disagree there, 3 had some great ideas and amazing callbacks. Wasn't a fan of the last couple of hours however. Personally I think Mask is the best of the series, bar a few glitches which unfortunately we're never set straight. The setting, story and atmosphere were absolutely terrifying.

I really doubt that Nintendo will let Koei to re-release the trilogy as PS2 Classics on PS4. It's better to ask a Deluxe version of 5 for Switch.
The trilogy on the PSN was released in 2013 iirc, that's after the release of the fourth game, the remake and the Spirit Camera spinoff. Nintendo doesn't have any say in the original trilogy, those are still completely Tecmo.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I haven't heard good things about the latest WiiU installment and is a shame since I feel like there's potential in the franchise. I wish that Nintendo and Koei would put more effort in trying to improve the formula to get a satisfying horror series.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I'd definitely recommend checking out 2 first. Out of the 4 games I played, I enjoy it the most. 1 is clunky and I didn't like 3's pacing (it just had too much callbacks from other games, making the core storyline a bit weaker imho) plus you need to play both 1 and 2 to appreciate 3. I'd say 4 is good too because it feels like an investigation game at times (mixed in with some horrifying atmosphere). You also wouldn't need to play the other games to enjoy 4.

Never played 5 but I heard it was a mess.

Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It's my favourite horror series. The Japanese folklore and ghost stories in these games are so good.

Orhyanos

Oct 28, 2017
Most definitely PS2 or XBOX in my opinion.
The Wii version has a huge amount of changes that I didn't care for. The older camera suits the atmosphere perfectly, and the Wii version takes away from it.

It's worth a play, but after the original.

Thanks for the input. I was already somewhat leaning towards the originals, mainly because the Wii version is damn expensive in the Euroland!

Does anyone have any experience playing the xbox version on the 360? How is the emulation?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I haven't heard good things about the latest WiiU installment and is a shame since I feel like there's potential in the franchise. I wish that Nintendo and Koei would put more effort in trying to improve the formula to get a satisfying horror series.

I thought that V was pretty good. It had issues, and was maybe a bit too old school for the era, but it was good.
I'm sure we'll see a 6 on Switch though, there's several elements hinting at this at some point (post FFV interview, Nintendo staff helping on V, Nintendo and KT current relationship, etc).

Thanks for the input. I was already somewhat leaning towards the originals, mainly because the Wii version is damn expensive in the Euroland!

Does anyone have any experience playing the xbox version on the 360? How is the emulation?

If you got a WiiU, the Wii version is currently on sale for around 10ÂŁ digitally. I'd really rank it above the PS2 version tbh, but I can see the arguments for the Xbox one being the favourite.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I really love this series. I haven't really played much of it since it went Nintendo exclusive because the fourth one wasn't released here and the last one was digital only, but I think these are really quality horror games.

The first one feels a bit like an arcadey experience. It's got a very fast, simplistic feel to it. The structure is somewhat episodic, split over a series of nights. The gameplay is the most streamlined. I think it's really quite scary though. The music and atmospheric sounds they use are really good.

The second one is usually people's favorite but I think upon repeated playthroughs it is just too slow. Mia and Maya or Mayou or whatever their names are move so slowly. It makes crossing the game environment feel so tedious. At one point, you change from controlling the slow character to controlling the slow character WITH A LIMP.

The third one is very complex and elaborate. It's easy to get lost and hard to tell where you are going. The game is too long. I think they added some RPG elements or whatever and I ended up getting stuck with Ken the last time I played the game. He's super weak and annoying. Too much backtracking and repeated use of the same content.

Oct 25, 2017

This is how I replay FF2. I never played it on the original XBOX, but I have never encountered any bugs on 360. I base this on comparison to the PS2 version which I put dozens of hours in to.

I believe the first game has a few cutscenes issues on 360 though.

Orhyanos

Oct 28, 2017
This is how I replay FF2. I never played it on the original XBOX, but I have never encountered any bugs on 360. I base this on comparison to the PS2 version which I put dozens of hours in to.

I believe the first game has a few cutscenes issues on 360 though.

Thanks man. I guess I will be playing something on my 360 in the hopefully not so distant future!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I yet have to beat 5 and haven't played 4 (definitely on my to-do list though!), but the first 3 games are one of my favorite (survival) horror games. Spooky and creepy atmosphere, an actual interesting and sometimes even depressing story, a cool setting and a great battle mechanic with a neat risk and reward type system. To do more damage to the ghosts you pretty much have to let them get closer to you, which by itself already looks frightening, since you have to take a really close look at them from the first person perspective. And since all the enemies are ghosts you sometimes can't tell from which side they will attack you, after all they can appear and disappear and go through walls. That made for some really tense moments, especially during some of the boss encounters. I also agree that the 2nd game is easily the best in the entire series. The first one might seem a bit clunky and dated at times, but I would still recommend playing it. It's cool to see the progression of the series. The 3rd game in the series also has a few callbacks to the first one (and the 5th game builds on it), which was pretty neat. I do love the 3rd game too, but I also have to agree that it has some pacing problems and maybe goes on for a bit too long. But when Tsuki Amano's song "Koe" plays at the end, it was all worth it.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
If there's only one survival horror series that deserves a spot alongside Resident Evil and Silent Hill as the greats of the genre, it's Fatal Frame. The first game blew me away when it released. It was the first horror game I played where you were absolutely forced to face what was scaring you, through the lens of the Obscura. They could have built a game around that factor of horror alone, but throughout the game there's also some truly disturbing imagery on the periphery of the scene. "Was someone hanging up there in the rafters or was I simply imagining it?" is a question the series can create in your head with relative ease.

Then the second game came out, and it was just refined beyond my wildest dreams. Somehow more frightening than the first, and better controlling to boot. I played the third game for the first time a few years back on the PS3 marketplace, and it didn't quite capture what made the first 2 titles so magical for me, but it was still pretty good. Haven't played any beyond that.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Didn't like the Wii version that much (can't even remember why exactly XD) but the first two are absolutely must plays for me. Probably the most atmospheric horror games I've played.