• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After watching the reveal of Watch Dogs 3, i was super hyped.

I did played WD2 but only for the tutorial and the co-op since I wanted a game to play with my friend.... we only played for 1 evening. Not that the game wasn't great but I dunno, it was difficult to do only stealthy missions and I think we thought we could do every mission stealthy.

Anyway, now I was wondering if I should go back to playing the solo part and if the story is any good. Honeslty, I don't really dig the art style/vibe of WD2 compared to the third game but I guess i can live with it if the story is good.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Without going into spoilers, how well do you like "fight the power" stories and how tolerant are you of youth culture? Because for as much shit as the San Francisco chapter of Ded Sec get around these parts, their initial ridiculousness wraps around to being genuinely endearing and I like fucking over Silicon Valley techbros. Like, a lot.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
I have platinum'd that game for some reason (it was easy iirc) and I remember virtually nothing about the story. Something about an asshole tech dude rings a bell, I remember it being pretty disjointed though. As in, a cutscene every now and then.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
It's kind of at odds with the some of the gameplay and its social commentary is largely uninspired if not toothless. On the other hand, the characters are entertaining, the audiovisual style is strong, and it's worth seeing through for them, that, and some exceptional level design.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Im trying to play it now and got about 4 hours into it and I honestly have no damn clue what Im doing other than trying to stick to the man. Its entertaining at least other than vehicle controls.

OP
OP
Alastor3

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow all those mixed reviews, i thought it would be cooler, hopefully it won't be like that with the third game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really remember much of the story proper, but the cast and their chemistry were surprisingly good.

Deleted member 25702

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The story is mediocre with a couple of strong moments until it's infuriatingly bad and then it just sort of ends. Good game otherwise! Way better than WD1.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's a ubisoft story. It has a great concept, but the execution is not nearly as good. It has some excellent moments sprinkled through the story and some of the missions where you infiltrate huge buildings are awesome.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The plot is bland. Characters are pretty good though

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I played over 100 hours of Watch Dogs 2, maybe. I finished 25% of the story mode, and spend 75% of the time playing invasion/hacking/online/side quests. The story is alright. I have zero investment in any character, including the protagonist, though they're fun characters.

I fucking love this game and it makes you feel real awesome with all the hacking, even if I cannot get myself to play any story missions (once I stopped playing them, I didn't care about it).

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I couldnt really tell you any of the narrative beats (altho tbf thats most openworld ubisoft games after im done with them) but the characters and their interactions together are really strong and that carried the game for me

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm near the end of the campaign and it feels a bit aimless. The cutscenes are entertaining though, and the missions themselves are fun to play. The characters are pretty good although I can't believe they didn't think of implementing personal missions for the supporting cast.
Still miles ahead of WD1 overrall. The lighter tone and better characters help a ton

Wow all those mixed reviews, i thought it would be cooler, hopefully it won't be like that with the third game.

Good luck creating a compelling narrative without any established character. They're taking this to the extreme and basically telling you to make your story yourself, which is why I'm not interested at all.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Real talk, all Ubisoft games this gen has a really lackluster story. All they have are these so called cool and edgy characters. Everything else is just bland bland bland.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I couldnt really tell you any of the narrative beats (altho tbf thats most openworld ubisoft games after im done with them) but the characters and their interactions together are really strong and that carried the game for me
This is a pretty fair read on the game. Playing it now and the overall story is pretty thin. That said the cast, their chemistry, and performances are all really good. I enjoy spending time with these characters and the the nonsense they're taking part in. The world itself is fun to explore and not over the top insulting the way GTA's worlds are or Saint's Rows. It reminds me of how Sleeping Dog's world was setup but with a tech lean and more freedom.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the little robot dude's mission being good lol

Seriously though, good game, only serviceable story