• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since the Vita looks to be tragically cut before its prime, I'm looking to finally homebrew it so that I can specifically gain access to games that are, for some stupid reason or another, locked from playing on the PSTV. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles is a big one, and I've heard that it works perfectly, which makes the lock even more baffling.

Anyway, how easy is it these days? What are the requirements, and what firmware does it need to be (or not be)?

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On July 1st, a new kernal exploit is going to be released that will make all Vitas up to the current firmware (3.68) hackable. It's a very easy process from there.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On July 1st, a new kernal exploit is going to be released that will make all Vitas up to the current firmware (3.68) hackable. It's a very easy process from there.

Neat!

What are some other cool things I could potentially do with it (aside from the stuff that's forbidden to discuss)?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh it got changed from the end of the year to july.. hot damn, i get to hack my vita and not rely on my vita tv (except its nice that the vita tv uses an external hard drive thanks to hacks)

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat!

What are some other cool things I could potentially do with it (aside from the stuff that's forbidden to discuss)?
The Vita runs a good amount of Retroarch cores nicely if you like emulation. Homebrew lets you overclock the system, which makes some games run much better. Biggest two are the ability to blow open the PSP mode and run a larger library of PSP and PS1 games, and the ability to use an SD to game cart converter to have a far better storage solution. On top of being expensive, the proprietary Vita memory cards are awful. High failure rate on larger cards, high prices, lower speeds than the game carts, etc. Being able to use micro SD is a game changer in a lot of ways.

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SD card support was added a while back which really liberates the Vita because those horrible memory cards can be replaced with any ordinary super cheap and huge capacity SD card.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How easy is it to add homebrew? I remember it was super complicated and I think required server running from your computer or something
for the most part unless something changed, you still need to use the web browser to get the initial hack, then you FtP some files over.
For Vita TV I tinkered enough to the point where i no longer need to FTP files over and just put the stuff on the external, Its easy to do imo. (not as hard as the 3ds if you've hacked that)

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I bought a vita the other day which should arrive in a couple of days along with a 256gb micro SD and an sd2vita. I'm hoping that once up and running, this will be my go to machine for emulation and old school games for years.

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Neat!

IMO the best thing ever is that you can change the resolution for your original, non-pirated games, to native res!
THere are some reddit threads about this, and a lot of games really benefit from this, and the performance hit is often non existent or less than 10%

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone send me some info on the SD card stuff and whatever the most up to date method/vpk is for home brew? I've got an old Vita that I'd like to fiddle around with a bit and see what's possible

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
Hot damn, I had no idea they were able to hack in sd card support. Now I'm interested in that new release when it comes out

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
thefl0w will release a enso / henkaku exploit for 3.65 / 3.67 / 3.68 soon.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for the new exploit, I plan on getting a PSTV to go with my Vita slim once I have money and the exploit is out.
It's so nice that there's a hack to play any game on the PSTV (I know games with important touch controls don't work well)
Also excited to mess around with the configs of games and maybe fix some PSP binds

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Kind reminder that 3.67 and 3.68 won't be cfw, you will have to re-enable the back every time you boot the device. Stay on 3.65 if you can.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
About the micro SD card support, you have to use adapter and put it in the game slot, so you won't be able to use your physical games, but you can rip your games easily.
Or if you have 3G model, you can replace the 3G chip with micro SD reader.

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018

But that will cut your access to the PSN store and downloads right?

The idea of my Vita running all that emulation goodness is very tempting but I can't leave behind all those purchases

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
But that will cut your access to the PSN store and downloads right?

The idea of my Vita running all that emulation goodness is very tempting but I can't leave behind all those purchases

I've had extensive looks around the internet and it seems countless people are using their psn on hacked vita's and not one person has been banned for it yet. So you don't have to leave any purchases behind when on henkaku

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
i got both a vita and a pstv so if this introduce more emulators, i will just hack my pstv for emulators...

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
IMO the best thing ever is that you can change the resolution for your original, non-pirated games, to native res!
THere are some reddit threads about this, and a lot of games really benefit from this, and the performance hit is often non existent or less than 10%

yO WHAT

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Correction: Enso (permanent CFW) will only work in 3.65. On newer firmwares CFW will not persist after device reboot (sleep mode should be fine), as Sony fixed a bug that was used for Enso in 3.67.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Correction: Enso (permanent CFW) will only work in 3.65. On newer firmwares CFW will not persist after device reboot (sleep mode should be fine), as Sony fixed a bug that was used for Enso in 3.67.
Oh shit soooon

Do I lose anything (particularly PSN access) if I stay on 3.65, or do I lose anything from the hack itself in the 3.68 version of the exploit?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit soooon

Do I lose anything (particularly PSN access) if I stay on 3.65, or do I lose anything from the hack itself in the 3.68 version of the exploit?
On 3.65 you lose the ability to run 3.67/3.68 games (unless someone on higher firmware decrypts them for you). Not sure about PSN access, I think you can fake the firmware.
On 3.67+ you will need to run a small tool each device reboot to regain CFW (something like the latest PSP jailbreak), and will have to wait for ports for all plugins (SD2Vita, nonpdrm, etc).

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On 3.65 you lose the ability to run 3.67/3.68 games (unless someone on higher firmware decrypts them for you). Not sure about PSN access, I think you can fake the firmware.
On 3.67+ you will need to run a small tool each device reboot to regain CFW (something like the latest PSP jailbreak), and will have to wait for ports for all plugins (SD2Vita, nonpdrm, etc).
DO you mean going to go.henkaku.xyz or is that small tool something else

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
While in the moment it is not possible to completly homebrew the Vita with 3.67/3.68 you can still add a little Software to the Vita.

With this you can add an Emulator for older games like gba and so on (but not ps1). So you can play the old Pokemon games on your Vita

Lugnutal

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
didn't know it was releasing early...I was thinking about trading mine in for that new 2ds Zelda themed one that was coming out but now I may have to hold on to mine.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
I have a PSTV on the latest version, which I only use it for the Remote Play, since vita cards are too expensive.
Will this let me load my legit digital vita games from a usb stick/hdd?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I love the home brew and SD card on my PSTV, but what really kills it for me is that my PS4 controller regularly loses pairing with it, so much so lately that I kinda stopped using it.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm that CFW'd PSTV is really great, currently playing through Persona 4 and Sly collection, all my trophies are syncing and you can use SD card or USB stick as a memory card.

Quick question: is there any way to output sound through headphones plugged to DS4?

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
How's Snes and Gba emulation with retroarch? I'm using vhbl for gba and my Switch for Snes atm but I'd prefer to have everything natively on vita if it's a good experience

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn, have my TV all set up (USB flash support is wonderful), but didn't realize that support for new firmwares is coming so soon. Might have to take the plunge.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Watching this thread, just recently got a PSTV and would love to expand its functionality with some cheats for longer old school rpgs I got. Cough Alundra

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
god i cant wait to get a pstv to crack into... so soon

i also can't wait to play with editing resolutions and using oclockvita or whatever it's called.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By any chance has anyone found a way to mod existing PSN versions of PSX games through homebrew?

I'd love to play through Xenogears again with the faster text mod, for example.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
What's the easiest way to download all my Vita games at one time so I can stick them on the PC? I wanna do that VitaTV harddrive hack.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
What's the easiest way to download all my Vita games at one time so I can stick them on the PC? I wanna do that VitaTV harddrive hack.

If it works like previous hacks, using Henkaku (aka homebrew) doesn't blacklists you from PSN. I bought games over there and downloaded them while I had my Vita hacked and I had 0 issues.

I updated the system after a while, regretted and I'm patiently waiting for this new hack.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
If it works like previous hacks, using Henkaku (aka homebrew) doesn't blacklists you from PSN. I bought games over there and downloaded them while I had my Vita hacked and I had 0 issues.

I updated the system after a while, regretted and I'm patiently waiting for this new hack.

Is there a permanent spoofer nowadays?