• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Odd question, but how long does your jeans last on you? For me pair of jeans last for one year and then the crotch are gives up. What the hell I'm doing wrong here? I have tried different brands from Levi's to Diesel, from cheap to expensive 30€ to 200€ and yet I get only one year from them.

I walk to work every day, around 7 km + 2 km, but I would still think I get more use from good pair of jeans. Any tips how to make your jeans last?

Oct 27, 2017
i've been wearing the same pair of slim-straights for like 3 years

the color is totally faded from washing them so much, but they still fit great (a little tight now that i've put on some muscle)

jeans tend to last, even cheap ones you get for like 20 bucks at Forever 21 or H&M

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
I've had pairs of jeans that I wore 4+ times a week last for many years. The only reason I stopped wearing them was because I no longer liked the style. I'd expect any pair of jeans I get to last at least 4-5 years with heavy use.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Forever.

The only times I've ever had to replace a pair of jeans is when I've outgrown them. Which, as I age, is almost every year. :(

But I always donate them because they're always in good shape. The only time I ever wore through jeans was when I was a kid.

Edit: I wear Wrangler jeans.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Most of my jeans last long enough to where my expanding gut size becomes the issue before jean wear-and-tear does. I should probably do something about that, but, eh.

The ones that have become too worn to keep wearing lasted about 2-3 years. In every case its always been the ass-area stitching that gave out, with my humungo wallet being the main culprit. I've never had a crotch rip.

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I have tried to wash them and only to air out but no luck. I basically wear same pair for one week and either rotate between three pairs of jeans. And from time to time I switch out from denim.

And my jeans used to last me. I had more then few pairs that lasted me for 5 to 10 years. Only thing that has really changed is the walking part. I used to cycle to work but as I said, I don't have that long walk.

My thighs are thick so I destroy every pair I own in a year. The only solution is to wear looser jeans but I look terrible on them.
This might be me as well. I'm not sure if my thighs are that thick but I can't pull off skinny jeans either. Regular fit, 36x34 leaves nice breeding area for me and anything bigger looks ridicilous on me.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I keep buying the same or at least similar pairs of Levi's and they usually last me at least a couple years. Typically the knees give out before anything else does, but I often wear them several times a week.

EDIT: should clarify, I wash them about once every two weeks and they're fine. Nice and comfortable, too.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Odd question, but how long does your jeans last on you? For me pair of jeans last for one year and then the crotch are gives up. What the hell I'm doing wrong here? I have tried different brands from Levi's to Diesel, from cheap to expensive 30€ to 200€ and yet I get only one year from them.

I walk to work every day, around 7 km + 2 km, but I would still think I get more use from good pair of jeans. Any tips how to make your jeans last?

I literally have jeans in the 15-20 year range.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You need to get them sized correctly. They're too short in the crotch. Raw selvedge denim is the way to go but rather expensive.

Wandermust

Alt-Account
Dec 3, 2018

you walk 9km to work everyday? meaning each way is 4.5km? That's almost an hour. damn

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I keep good care of my jeans and wear them until the style has expired... Which is usually 3-5 years. If they're still in, then I'm still wearing them.

I usually buy more expensive denim, $150-$250, and so I expect to get several years out of a pair. I usually get them dry cleaned until they're old enough that I just don't care about them anymore and I'll wash them in cold water, hang to dry.

I probably dry clean most of my jeans like... once a month or so, give or take.

If yours are wearing out and tearing in the crotch, they're probably the wrong size and your in-seam length is too short. I'd consider going up a step on in-seam and getting them tailored for you (if the higher size seems too long). For instance, if you're a 32 in-seam, get a 33 or 34 (33 is hard to find usually), and then have them tailored.

Oct 25, 2017
Mine last me a round 4–5 years washed around every two weeks, walking around an average of 3.5 miles a day. I'm not buying anything above $25. Usually the failure point for me are the knees going threadbare, although on my current pair I've got a really random single crease mid-thigh that's starting to fray. Other weakness is my back pockets start going because of my wallet, although that's not the case on my current one. I usually keep my old pair around for a few years after that as work/mess clothes.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017

Same.
I wear Levi 511s EXCLUSIVELY.
Ballsack area collapses around the 1 year mark.

Noire

Oct 25, 2017
Until I get holes between my legs.... probably 2-3 years if I wear them regularly.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I probably should. I used to do this but then everyone started to talk how you are not supposed to wash jeans that often.
They def. need to be washed. Like any other material tho, the more washes (and dries in the dryer), the more the material starts to degrade.

Best way to wash denim? Cold cycle on delicate, smallest amount of detergent, hang dry. They'll last forever like that.

Note: Please do not freeze your denim or shoes, it does nothing, guys lol

Edit*:
And I just want to add, for about 25 bucks you can get blow-outs repaired. I don't recommend doing it yourself however, as the sewing machine to do it is heavy duty. You may have luck with large iron-on patches tho. From what I've seen with repaired blowouts, the repair is stronger than the original material and it adds some character tho barely noticeable.
Repair_2_grande.jpg

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

You must be laundering them pretty hard. Wash your jeans sparingly, inside out, on the coldest temp, and hang to dry. Tumblr dry low if needed.

Cotton can handle a higher heat, but modern jeans have a lot going on threading wise and are normally not reinforced enough.

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Going by my purchases history, I have tried bigger sizes as well, with no luck... Maybe I walk funny.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Crotch blowouts are the worst. Sucks having big thighs. If I find a good pair if pants, I get another pair in a different wash/color. And I just end up rotating between a bunch instead of having a handful.

Had maybe two chinos and a pair of denim blown out over a span of a year. Then again those went through a lot of wears.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Going by my purchases history, I have tried bigger sizes as well, with no luck... Maybe I walk funny.

Blowouts can happen if your jeans are too loose, too. The extra friction and tension would come from the excess fabric rubbing together.

This might be something a competent demon sales person could assess, but you might need to have your pants gusseted. You can have that done at a tailor. Quick fix and cheap, as mentioned up thread.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I think the solution is to have more pants in rotation so you're wearing individual pairs less.
That's what I've done. I have like 10 pairs instead of 3-4 like i used to.

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Blowouts can happen if your jeans are too loose, too. The extra friction and tension would come from the excess fabric rubbing together.
This is too confusing. Do I need to start tailoring my jeans as well? I admit that I haven't had perfect pair in a long time. Currently I have been rocking lot of diesels and they take suprisingly long time to adjust. I guess that I have to give up online shopping and actually go to stores where I can get some help picking right pair.

I think the solution is to have more pants in rotation so you're wearing individual pairs less.
That's what I've done. I have like 10 pairs instead of 3-4 like i used to.
Or maybe this. I'll order in bulk.

Oct 28, 2017
I once had a blowout. But then the cops showed up and we all had to run half naked across Harold square in the middle of February.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
you walk 9km to work everyday? meaning each way is 4.5km? That's almost an hour. damn
its about exactly as much as i walk, you get used to it, i dont get much exercise otherwise so i kinda need it

anyway my jeans usually last me several years, i wash them as little as i can but there is a lot of mud around so at most i can probably only go every 2 weeks. but i never put them in the dryer

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Mine last 3 years or more..the secret is to wash them infrequently.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
My knees usually rip after a year or so. I've done the same thing as you, OP. Different brands didn't make any difference

I just bought 10 pairs of a few Jean's I liked the fit of and rotate through them.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I have a pair I got about 7 years ago I still wear. There's a small hole in one of the knees and one of the back pockets from my wallet but they're definitely still wearable. They're not even that nice, they were like $30 at H&M. Don't wear them that often any more, but I wore them at least a few times a week for the first couple years.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I've had the same black APC jeans for years. They still look fairly new. I just don't wash them often and hand wash when I do.

I general washing machine and drier is what kills clothes in the long term.

Last edited:

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
They should last a very long time. I only have one pair of jeans in the rotation that will need to be retired, since it has a very thinly threaded section that will inevitably become a hole. That pair is probably around 8 years old.

All my jeans are Levis and Uniqlo. Like many have already said, unless your job/lifestyle attracts a lot of dirt / sweat, you're not supposed to wash them that often. Personally, I just never dry my jeans and wash them in cold / cold-warm water on normal cycle.

Oct 27, 2017
London
My Levi's 511's have lasted for 3 years now. I wash them on low temperatures and air dry them inside out. I remember them having a tag on them saying they include Dyneema fibres which is supposedly one of the strongest fabrics possible, and they haven't come anywhere near to ripping. Stitching is still good as ever as well but I never put a lot of wear and tear on them in the first place. Colour still looks good as well.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I wash my jeans once a week. My jeans, and my clothes in general, usually last ten years or so. I still have jeans I wore in high school that are serviceable, though stylistically I rarely put them on.