• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How long do your mechanical keyboards last?

• One year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-3 years

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Never had one fail

Votes: 50 78.1%
  • Never owned one

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
3 years ago, my best friend got me my first mechanical keyboard. A brown (knock off) switch keyboard by TTESports. Obviously not a top brand, but I loved the thing to death and the LEDS (when they were just set to lightly glow on a key I just pressed instead of burning bright constantly). The problem is, after just a year it started losing inputs on the numpad. A year later, my space bar started double inputting (if you've looked at any of my posts on this forum you'll have seen them constantly). I tore the thing apart, cleaned it, reassembled with no luck... but I persevered because I loved the brown switches. Quiet but with very nice actuation. Then the final straw happened over the last few days... the backspace was double or triple inputting. I can live with the odd space-spacing... but having my entire typing rhythm thrown off when I make a minor mistake was a step too far and I dug out my old, but trusty, membrane keyboard.

Originally I was pretty upset, I've never had a keyboard deteriorate so quickly that hadn't had something spilled on top of it, and even then most had survived once we got into the 00's... but looking back, 3 years isn't exactly a small amount of time especially for non-name brand hardware. Still, I was curious on average how long do mechanical keyboards tend to last everyone in general?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
No one yet knows because although people claim they last longer, they end up buying 20 different keyboards anyway, so the longevity has never been tested ;_;7

Honestly though no idea. Have had my realforce for a few years and doesn't really seem degraded at all.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still use my Filco MJ1 at work. Got it around 2009, took it around the world and it's still rock solid. At home I still game daily on my GON TKL which I've had for about 4. Keys are admittedly kinda gross but the switches are still great.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
If you love that keyboard, why not buy another? Even secondhand? I'm still on my first.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
The one from my vaio desktop from 2004 still worked after 10+ years until i threw it out due to yellowing. if you take care of it probably a good while. i didn't play games on it though so maybe thats why.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If you love that keyboard, why not buy another? Even secondhand? I'm still on my first.

I plan on getting something more name brand eventually, but money is tight so it's hard to justify spending $150+ on a keyboard right now. Still, if anyone has any suggestions for a good mechanical keyboard that uses genuine cherry switches at a decent price, I'll gladly add them to a list to look over when things aren't as tight.

I've had mine for a few years now (Logitech G610) and it still feels like it did the day I got it.

Yeah, I have no doubt that the cheaper nature of the one I was gifted is playing a big role on it's life. I've taken good care of it, but I've never heard great things about the Kailh switches.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Short of some seriously poor construction or defects, they should last a long long time, cherry switches have a few dozen million actuation in them, the electronics of a keyboard are stupidly simple to the point an amateur could make them (And they do), their longevity is also proven by the fact there are plenty of old mechanical keyboards lying around, honestly some of these are so solidly built that I would not be surprised if I heard some story of someone killing someone with one and was still using the keyboard.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still using my first.

But then I've also used a $10 Logitech keyboard for like ten years without incident before that. I don't think keyboards break easily unless you spill something on one.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
I am on my 2nd ever and I bought the first probably more than 5 years ago. Only got a new one because I spilled liquid in the old one. Never had a problem with one before that wasn't human error.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I've had mine for a few years now (Logitech G610) and it still feels like it did the day I got it.

I have this keyboard too (Cherry MX Red version) and I can attest to its quality. Still works perfectly, still loving the volume wheel and dedicated media buttons.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Blackwidow TE with MX Browns in 2012 that was in slightly gross condition in 2016 due to the cheap keycaps but it's still perfectly functional. The only other MK that ever went bad on me was because I spilled a drink on it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I had to go with never had one fail because I have only been using mine for a year. It was a cheaper one, but still.
that being said I tend to kill keyboards about once a year, so as of so far it's holding up well. It's gotten at least 500k words typed on it in the last year, so we will see how long it holds up :P

my keyboard for the sake of infomation
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR5MWGM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I snagged it when it was down to $52.50

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Gaming" keyboards are grossly overpriced and mostly low quality. If you aren't interested in customs just get a velocifire

Edit: and don't buy into the cherry only mentality. Outemu and kailh make just as good or sometimes even better switches

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Never had one fail.

On my main PC I use a WASD keyboard. Only had it for about 2 years, but no issues yet.

My other PC has a unicomp model m, no problems with it either.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
"Gaming" keyboards are grossly overpriced and mostly low quality. If you aren't interested in customs just get a velocifire

Edit: and don't buy into the cherry only mentality. Outemu and kailh make just as good or sometimes even better switches

Yeah I love my Velocifire VM90. Cheap for a mechanical, too.

I plan on getting something more name brand eventually, but money is tight so it's hard to justify spending $150+ on a keyboard right now. Still, if anyone has any suggestions for a good mechanical keyboard that uses genuine cherry switches at a decent price, I'll gladly add them to a list to look over when things aren't as tight.

Ah, I didn't expect it to be so costly. I would recommend you mine but it has Kailh Black switches and that's probably not what you're looking for.

Last edited: