How many years do you see it last minimum?

Votes: 54 5.7%

Votes: 84 8.8%

Votes: 84 8.8%

Votes: 107 11.2%

Votes: 38 4.0%

Votes: 48 5.0%
  • decades

Votes: 538 56.5%

• Total voters

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Normally this would be a question only meant to infuriate but given that we're talking about a digital game store where losing the store means your purchases are gone (unless the devs start handing out Steam keys as the end approaches like many games did on Desura) and stores shutting down isn't unprecedented this is a major issue of trust. Fortunately it's not tied to a hardware generation so at least it won't become automatically obsolete like, say, the Wii shop.

How long do you trust the store to stay up and is it long enough for you to tie purchases to it?

Oggmeiler

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
The better question is how long Steam is gonna last.

/s

It will hopefully fade into irrelevance next year.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I expect it to last at least 5-10 years, but it'll fall off the map by the end of next year.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why would it go away? Epic has their own games. They'll continue to use their store for their games. Same as Ubisoft, EA, etc. Steam will continue to be the market leader for decades though.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Like, in the actual sense of existing? A long time.
In the sense of being relevant beyond epics own games? I give them 3 tops.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it'll fade into irrelevance pretty soon. As for it actually being shut down... 5 years?

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the financial assets Epic has, it'll last for years/decades, but I suspect its market relevance to diminish to the level of other non-Steam stores.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If Uplay and Origin have lasted this long, I don't think the EGS will have any problems.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Honestly I expect them to stay around for a while, but it feels like if they continue down the road they are currently on, with 8 years they might as well be on life support.

They have a lot of time to improve though.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will exist for a long time but it's not really relevant now because it's the exclusives but there's very little info on how it's selling which tells me games are not selling to the degree they want because if they were epic would be screaming from the rooftops. So I wouldn't be surprised if Epic is commited more than a year or two at most than just the store just flounders.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
They seem determined to throw as much money at it as it takes, I'm sure they'll make sure it works out one way or another

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
However long they can shovel Fortnite money into it

Once the next big thing comes along and Fortnite starts to struggle, they will stop buying exclusives. I don't actually expect the store to ever go away though

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Epic seems committed to the long haul, though it seems to me that some of their issues with Steam could end up being their downfall. Meaning, if they don't focus on making the Epic store platform better for the consumer but rather keep focusing on just being the white knight of the industry, I don't see them succeeding in the future.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
2 . Fortnite wont be a big thing in next gen just like minecraft fad. it will be still good numbers but not juggernaut to support exclusive deals

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
As much as I dislike the EGS, it ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Which doesn't mean it will necessarily become a major player or even be relevant in a few years, but even if it fades away somewhat I don't expect it to actually shutter for a long time.

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be around as long as Epic has lots of money. Assuming the store improves with time I see no reason why it would shut down or otherwise go away.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Probably decades

I can't see them doing a u-turn on this now. If they're successful it's too lucrative, and the Fortnite money won't last forever

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite money injection too strong. It'll be around quite a while unless something financially catastrophic happens to Epic or Epic's current leadership.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Minimum? Five years. That's a little less than MS kept GFWL afloat.

EGS isn't as bad as GFWL but Epic Games doesn't have more money than God, Jesus and the Holy spirit put together like MS does. If it does well it'll be a direct steam competitor and if the money hatting and feature poor service start to tank they'll move on.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Given all the boycotting I've seen here I'm surprised it's still going.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I was uninterested until Lutris. For that alone, I do hope they last decades.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Lasting? More or less indefinitely. Their practice of buying exclusives? The next 2-3 years unless I'm being extremely naive about how profitable those titles will be for them on their platform.

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EGS as a being is probably here to stay, while moneyhats are unknown. As long as they have money they will continue buying deals.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
I think the more appropriate question is, how long will they keep their "12% cut" , their "curated store" and buying the exclusive rights to game releases. I think the current EGS we see now will be the same through end of next year.

In reality, EGS will go as far as Fortnite will take it. As long as Fornite is bringing oceans of cash, they can continue with this current plan.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's a featuress crap launcher and a lot of PC gamers are simply angry at Epic for their timed exclusive bullshittery.

They are creating a timed monopoly.
"A lot" might not be enough for it to not be successful though. And we already have some reports of games that do great on EGS. Also, it might be limited in features for now but it won't be in a year or two, and the success of Fortnite will buy Epic the necessary time to improve.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They invested in this store because right now they have the capital do invest and expand the store IS the back up to keep revenue flowing once Fortnite finally peaks.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be around, but I see it falling into also ran-territory once they no longer moneyhat to claim mind share.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah this is the main thing to me. paid exclusives and everything else aside, i don't trust epic to stick around for the long term so purchases there are risky. that may change after some time.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I personally think that it'll last uptil the time PC gaming isn't profitable enough for epic and they bail out cause they obv love money and PC isn't anything special to them. They were the first to bail out of making PC versions way back and termed PC gamers as 'pirates'. So umm i guess around 5-7 years? But regardless i see these exclusivity deals ending in a year or two and after that it depends on what course of action they take. WIll they go back like other stores and work on their features? What result they get is totally dependent on their intentions for PC gaming. But they have a long road before a lot of PC gamers considering them 'trustworthy' enough to mass shop at the epic store and have their digital game licenses rely on a company like Epic.