• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How many years do you see it last minimum?

Votes: 54 5.7%

Votes: 84 8.8%

Votes: 84 8.8%

Votes: 107 11.2%

Votes: 38 4.0%

Votes: 48 5.0%
  • decades

Votes: 538 56.5%

• Total voters

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Warned - Hostility to fellow member
I'm not saying people are making those claims, I'm just saying people are making a big deal out of nothing for the reasons I listed above.

If the PC space is as free as you say, Epic is free to pay for exclusives and the gamemaker is free to take that pile of cash. As long as they don't become a bone fide monopoly (and I stress BONE FIDE), I personally don't see the issue. Especially when your computer will run all the Steam and Epic Store games you want.

Of course. It's like you're so conditioned eating the shit that console gaming serves you, you want it to apply to Pc gaming, which has never been a walled garden. Get out of here.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think they're going to be a direct competitor for steam for many years to come. With all of these exclusives the epic store is picking up and the immense discount for prospective devs and their games, it's inevitable.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Of course. It's like you're so conditioned eating the shit that console gaming serves you, you want it to apply to Pc gaming, which has never been a walled garden. Get out of here.

Sick. Burn. That was both brutal...and insane.

Look, I have a PC, I have a Steam account. I've got games on there. I have some consoles. I have some games on there too. Hey, I even have games on my phone. Due to my current situation, I do most of my gaming on my Switch if we're being quite honest.

I just play the games man.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sick. Burn. That was both brutal...and insane.

Look, I have a PC, I have a Steam account. I've got games on there. I have some consoles. I have some games on there too. Hey, I even have games on my phone. Due to my current situation, I do most of my gaming on my Switch if we're being quite honest.

I just play the games man.

Right on obedient doggo, outsider perspective indeed. As someone who games primarily on PC since the 80's, keep that console garbage out of the PC space.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
Right on obedient doggo, outsider perspective indeed. As someone who games primarily on PC since the 80's, keep that console garbage out of the PC space.

You might want to find a new hobby, these practices aren't going anywhere. Publishers want options and they want some leverage on valve, Epic is the first threat to steam pretty much ever.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You might want to find a new hobby, these practices aren't going anywhere. S

And why's that?

Saw your edit. That's fine, if publishers want to make their own launcher, that's fine, it's aleays in my prerogative to install it. However, this is about moneyhatting exclusives and creating division in PC space to get a 'leg up', and also locking other people out in a place where that historically didn't happen. Don't have to stand for that.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

"Obedient doggo?" 😢 😭 That really got me there.

I never said I supported closed platforms, I just said Epic are within their rights to do what they are currently doing.

My honest prediction is that a few 3rd party exclusives aren't going to sway the tide. Epic needs to compete on other fronts or they're going to lose on PR.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018

I never said I supported closed platforms, I just said Epic are within their rights to do what they want.

My honest prediction is that a few 3rd party exclusives aren't going to sway the tide. Epic needs to compete on other fronts or they're going to lose on PR.

UE money + fortnite money will keep them in the game for quite awhile.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If Origin and Uplay can survive for nearly a decade selling mostly the same games from a handful of publishers, I'm sure EGS will be fine with their exclusives and 88/12 cut. If it wasn't for EA PC games being exclusive to Origin and introducing Origin Access nobody would use that thing.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone mind explaining why people don't like steam now?

I've always heard good stuff about it(prices/sales, refund policy, early access stuff) and whatever bad they seemed to do something(I could be wrong). As a person who doesn't really PC game, what's going on?

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles have proven that exclusive games work. People will come for them, they will get free games, they will come back for more exclusive games, they will get more free games, over a year or two, anyone with a pc should have decent collection on EGS regardless of whether or not they spent money there. If that cycle continues, eventually it should in theory snowball to a point where they are leading steam by the nose. EGS isn't going away unless the company behind it goes bankrupt and has to close shop. With all the money Epic makes and potential growth in profits in the EGS, I think it's going to out live us all. The only question is, when will EGS stop with all the exclusivity stuff. I'm not sure if they will.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018

I've always heard good stuff about it(prices/sales, refund policy, early access stuff) and whatever bad they seemed to do something(I could be wrong). As a person who doesn't really PC game, what's going on?

Customers like steam. Its publishers who want to change things up so they have some options for distribution.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Steam 30% cut evil. Valve lazy since they haven't released Half-Life 3. Epic will save PC Gaming from Valve's monopoly with Steam. Epic cares for developers...

Those are the points that EGS defenders use.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People just want something to hate. Steam ain't perfect, but it's the best thing to happen to the PC as a platform in a long time.

The Epic Store, on the other hand, is just a wrecking ball aimed at the great work other companies in the space (like Steam and GOG) are doing.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Consoles have proven that exclusive games work. People will come for them, they will get free games, they will come back for more exclusive games, they will get more free games, over a year or two, anyone with a pc should have decent collection on EGS regardless of whether or not they spent money there.
How is this "working"? If no one is spending money on non-moneyhatted EGS games, then Epic is in the hole overall. Exclusives on consoles drive other sales (online, peripherals, etc) and make a profit on their own. Epic throwing money at a random game does neither.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Consoles have proven that exclusive games work. People will come for them, they will get free games, they will come back for more exclusive games, they will get more free games, over a year or two, anyone with a pc should have decent collection on EGS regardless of whether or not they spent money there. If that cycle continues, eventually it should in theory snowball to a point where they are leading steam by the nose. EGS isn't going away unless the company behind it goes bankrupt and has to close shop. With all the money Epic makes and potential growth in profits in the EGS, I think it's going to out live us all. The only question is, when will EGS stop with all the exclusivity stuff. I'm not sure if they will.

I would argue that 1st party exclusives work for consoles. People buy Nintendo hardware for Mario/Zelda, people buy XB for Halo and people buy PS for Uncharted/God of War.

3rd party exclusives seem to get overshadowed.

Sure, people will flock to Epic for Fortnite but will they stay for Ashen? 🤷‍♂️

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Consoles that are in direct competition with each other. How many times does it need to be said that there is just one pc platform? The pc isn't in competition with itself and here is part of the issue.

All Epic is doing is moneyhatting games. Games that will eventually come to Steam. So as much as some think this is working, all this doing is making Epic spent assloads if money for a timed period.

Thats not working.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Who is backing this venture besides Epic? I ask because if Tencent wants this then they will push for it until it is not financially tenable which will be a damn long time.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
EGS is here to stay probably, Epic has more than enough money to keep it running.

But I seriously doubt many people will be using it for games they can buy elsewhere. Epic's anti-consumer strategy is pissing off lots of people, which will have a significant impact on peoples loyalty towards their store.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
When Witcher 4 is announced as Epic Store exclusive, people will understand the fight is over.

[

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Consoles have proven that exclusive games work.

Pc is an open platform, not a console. Pc gamers have no reason to use a certain store to buy game X because they can't buy game Y elsewhere.

In fact uPlay, Origin and the Windows Store have proven that exclusive games don't work on pc. All of these stores have plenty of exclusives, but this didn't result in pc gamers' loyalty for non-exclusive games at all.

When Witcher 4 is announced as Epic Store exclusive, people will understand the fight is over.

If the Witcher 4 is exclusive to anything, it will be GoG.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I never said I supported closed platforms, I just said Epic are within their rights to do what they are currently doing.

Which is an utterly irrelevant point. Microsoft being "within their rights" when they tried to push paid online with GFWL didn't matter a bit. The community rightfully fought back against that bullshit because it was a blatant anti-consumer initiative, not because Microsoft legally fell afoul of the Federal Trade Commission or whatever. And so it is with Epic and their practice of moneyhatting exclusives.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Which is an utterly irrelevant point. Microsoft being "within their rights" when they tried to push paid online with GFWL didn't matter a bit. The community rightfully fought back against that bullshit because it was a blatant anti-consumer initiative, not because Microsoft legally fell afoul of the Federal Trade Commission or whatever. And so it is with Epic and their practice of moneyhatting exclusives.

Good luck with that.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with that.

I hope luck is on our side, but at the same time, gaming is not so important to me that I will swallow blatant anti-consumer bullshit just for the right to pay money to play games that interest me. In the meantime, there are tons of options for me to play, and if crap like EGS and Google Stadia become the norm at some point in the future, well, I can just retire from this hobby.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I give it another two years before it goes back to being the Fortnite installer with a few other games on its store.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

Why erase the rest of my post in which I stated that I didn't think Epic's plan would work as well as they think?

I came into this thread to reply to the silly notion on page 2(?) that the Epic store was monopolistic, not to say that I'm pro-Epic.

My personal views: yes, the PC should stay open. Past attempts at doing this have failed. Epic won't succeed either, hence I'm not worried.

Even Microsoft in its zenith couldn't buy its way into a dominant gaming position.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's here to stay and people have to accept that fact. Epic games has more than enough money to keep this afloat and with all the high profile gets they will only increase in popularity. Most people outside of these forums could give two iotas of a shit about moneyhating.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if I am a publisher and Valve does not want to carry my game, it wont hurt sales at all? Since there is plenty of competition? Its disingenuous to suggest its not a defacto monopoly.

Certainly didn't seem to hurt the likes of Blizzard, Activision, and EA.

Saying it's probably better to put your game on Steam for more sales is not the same as saying it is a monopoly.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's here to stay and people have to accept that fact. Epic games has more than enough money to keep this afloat and with all the high profile gets they will only increase in popularity. Most people outside of these forums could give two iotas of a shit about moneyhating.

Most people outside of these forums couldn't give two iotas of shit about video games, much less PC gaming.

We're talking about hundreds of thousands to maybe a few million units in sales in a lot cases of even fairly high profile games.

Oct 27, 2017
So just bend over and take it, folks. Praise your new corporate overlords.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Most people outside of these forums could give two iotas of a shit about moneyhating.

I'm not so sure about that. People are complaining about it on gaming related sites from all over the world. I also see irl friends and colleagues strongly speaking out against Epic's efforts to establish store exclusivity deals on pc.

Certainly didn't seem to hurt the likes of Blizzard, Activision, and EA.

While most pc gamers have no problem using other stores/launchers for 1st party games, the fact that Epic moneyhats 3rd party games is a bridge too far for many of them.