• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I have an original Xbox One. The One X seems great. But I'm more interested in PC gaming and upgrading my rig right now so it's hard to justify the cost.

I am considering a One S as an upgrade - primarily for HDR games and 4K Blurays. How long do you guys and gals think Microsoft will keep the One S around? Do you foresee the One X becoming like the S as the entry level model in a few years time with the S being left in the dust?

I realize their plan is to have backwards compatibility going forward but at some point they'll have to draw a line in the sand and make the S obsolete, right?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's the cheaper and probably more popular option so it'll likely be around for a while.

Also it'll become obsolete the same time the X does. They are the same platform.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's likely to go sub-$200 on Black Friday, I'd say it'll probably be around through the entire life of the XB1. Microsoft is very reliant on digital revenue this gen, so having a cheap box that lets people get into their ecosystem with a low price of entry is a key component of that.

And yeah there will still be a console generation break. Just think of it as a possibility of P4 Pro and XB1X being forward compatible with some titles, rather than the end of generations and an unclear future regarding what will run on what.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They will keep it until next gen Xbox. Maybe then they'll keep One X as the cheap option in the market.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think as long as the Xbox One X is the current top SKU. As soon the successor of the Xbox One S arrives they will phase out the One S and the One X becomes the base model (assuming by that time it is priced like an One S).

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
A long time. It's there "in" into the mass market. 200 and below is when systems tend to take off historically speaking. They have more competition, though. PS4 is a beast and the Switch is doing well. When the Switch hits 200, it's gonna be nuts.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For the whole "one"-lifecycle.
Not selling the console would be a bad sign for existing customers and publishers and the X is too expensive too be the only option.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's likely to go sub-$200 on Black Friday, I'd say it'll probably be around through the entire life of the XB1. Microsoft is very reliant on digital revenue this gen, so having a cheap box that lets people get into their ecosystem with a low price of entry is a key component of that.

And yeah there will still be a console generation break. Just think of it as a possibility of P4 Pro and XB1X being forward compatible with some titles, rather than the end of generations and an unclear future regarding what will run on what.
Hell, I'd be shocked if it didn't have some $150 deals. It was $190 at Costco just a little bit ago.

gzMUdmY.jpg

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
The X is too pricy for most consumers so I'd imagine they will keep the S around for a while yet, if they do scrap it early they'll be kneecapping a lot of potential sales that will then be swallowed up by the PS4 Slim and Switch.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long do you see Sony keeping the PS4 Slim around?

Both PS4 Slim + XB1S aren't going anywhere. If anything happens to them they will get another slim update. Not everyone is going to spend £320-450 on a PS4 Pro/XB1X you know.

Slim + S will stick around until next gen. We'll get a PS5 + "XB2" to start a new generation.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until they the whole Xbox One family is EOL
A Xbox One S revision is likely, tho

OP
OP
peppermints

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like I won't be wasting my money then. Especially as an affordable 4K Blu-ray player.

Looking on Swappa I could flip my One for around 150 at least (which seems high but that's what they're going for).

Honestly the One S seems worth it to me just for not having a massive power brick.

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
I would say that the S will be around for at least 5 more years. But I think we are moving away from console generations. So likely what will happen is the S will be phased out and the X will be one the entry level model when the launch a new one.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I'd imagine it comes down to what the cost difference to manufacture them is/will continue to be. If there's still a significant difference in manufacturing cost a couple of years down the line then the S will probably stick around as an entry-level model; but if the X is only a little bit more expensive to actually manufacture than the S then they may discontinue the S, or they may just keep selling both but get a higher profit margin out of the X.

And I doubt that they allow people to make games that work on the X but not the S, and even if they did no third-party would actually do it because the X will install base will always be too small a minority. Maybe when the next generation of consoles launches they allow cross-gen games to support the X but not the 2013 hardware, but even that's unlikely.

The above all applies to the base PS4 vs. Pro as well, of course. I'd imagine the "both units are super-close in manufacturing cost so it may not make sense to make the cheaper one anymore" scenario is more likely to be hit there, since the two are much closer hardware-wise.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I'd say just about as long as the Xbox One is around.

I imagine at some point in a distant future when Xs become really affordable they might rotate out the S, but I doubt that will really happen anytime before the succeeding console cannibalized almost all of their sales anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the One brand lives on the S will as well. I don't really think they even need to do a third revision besides manufacturing differences.

They need a cheaper model to sell on shelves, the X won't take over as the only SKU. I think it would hurt the Xbox brand even more. Plus I don't think they will be able to get the X to be cheaper then the Pro.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Are you me?

The nice thing about the current generation is that entry level video cards (1050ti, RX560) get you in the door for 1080p/60fps with console ports.
Heh, I'm also planning to give my OG XB1 to my parents since it still makes a very good all in one media box since it tends to get the latest version of every streaming app.

I just can't bear to see them using ancient versions of Netflix and Hulu built into their Blu-Ray player.

JORMBO

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the cheaper and more popular option. I don't see it going anywhere.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It wont be going anywhere. Itll be around for as long as the XBO is on the market. They want customers to have a choice, and it being cheaper is a great choice for customers to have.

Heath V

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be around until Microsoft officially enters into the Next Generation. I'm glad too, I personally feel that it's a great console and built right. I have enough black Electronics I like the way the white sticks out and it's quite compact.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
say goodbye around 2019, X becomes the standard model and then they later release (maybe 2020/21) another update "X2" for the lack of a better name and so on. Keeping Xbox,360,One and X games all compatible all in one box....the all in one Xbo- ok ill stop.

Essentially release a new one every 4/5 years.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since the CPU difference isn't that big I'll say it and the One X will phase out at the same time.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Isn't S going to be the bread and butter console with X caters to the enthusiasts, which would mean that Microsoft will be wanting to sell S till the end of generation?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
'Till all are One... (I just wanted to make a Transformers: The Movie reference. Just ignore this.)

I imagine the S will be around until they can sell the X for as cheap as the S is now. By then I'd reckon they'll have a new BigBadWolf to sell for 500 bones.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Until next gen. It's by far their most popular version. The X will sell a fraction of the S, at least with that price tag. You'll be able to get the S for $150/$200 next month.

If the X had released at $400, maybe there would be a little more lean towards that. But that's a huge price gap between two machines that play the same games.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I had an idea yesterday.

They should have launched a new standard XBox One Modell instead of the One S wich is set slighty higher than ps4 performance wise.
They should of let it have 2 to 2,5 tflops and made sure that all games run flawlessly at 1080p on that Machine. And then bring the One X with 6 Tflops for 4k.

I would have phased out the old xbox one and set the default resolution for upcoming games to 720p on the oldschool machines.
So then there would be Oldschool XBOX One 720p / New XBOX One 1080p / XBOX One X for 4k.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I had an idea yesterday.

They should have launched a new standard XBox One Modell instead of the One S wich is set slighty higher than ps4 performance wise.
They should of let it have 2 to 2,5 tflops and made sure that all games run flawlessly at 1080p on that Machine. And then bring the One X with 6 Tflops for 4k.

I would have phased out the old xbox one and set the default resolution for upcoming games to 720p on the oldschool machines.
So then there would be Oldschool XBOX One 720p / New XBOX One 1080p / XBOX One X for 4k.

???

No, they did the right thing with the S and X. Would be a pain to support three models.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until next gen. (the x will never be the base model)
Why not? Microsoft want to end console generations. So it would make sense for the Xbox One X to gradually become the baseline, and a new model to be introduced. And repeat indefinitely. You can keep playing games on your Xbox One S until it's gradually phased out due to performance/compatibility issues. PC and mobile gaming works the exact same way.