• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
You can get away with 5 days probably unless you used milk or something but the taste and texture takes a dive after 2 days. Unless I'm gonna eat it the next day I just freeze leftovers.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you're not supposed to have leftover chicken laying around for more than 3ish days, so eat it asap.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't trust any cream-based sauce longer than three days. It's all fats in there, dairy, no acidity like tomato sauce to make it last longer.

This is why I make my sauce and other items separately, only combining them when eating a meal. This way you can conserve the meats, pasta, and veggies a little longer and use them for something else.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, alfredo doesn't really reheat that well. I'm not sure if call leftovers for it "good"

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
God the 3 days thing is fucking crazy. Chicken and pasta can comfortably last to a week. After a week is when I start questioning/being mindful.

I wonder if it's because some people's fridges are kept colder than others?

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
If the refrigerator has been at a safe temperature the entire time, there's no reason why it wouldn't last five days. I usually don't keep something longer than 3-4 days myself but it's not going to just magically spoil in 2 days because it has dairy or has cooked chicken in it.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
My left over rule is if it was cooked this week and refrigerated it won't kill you. I clear out left overs on Sunday's.

Just note the longer it stays in the fridge the worse it will taste. Fresh is always better.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
OP already ate the week old Chicken Alfredo. He's just looking for someone to tell him he's not gonna be sick.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
When I cook it on Sundays, sometimes it'll last until Friday, but then again I find that I'm usually far less worried about how long stuff keeps than other people. If it tastes fine, it's probably fine.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Most things are fine for 7 days if you refrigerate it. Smell it, taste a small bit, does it look fine? Turkey and such things like that are hard, but something like that would most likely have mold on it if it was bad.

Most of the time it's fine and you practically get a free meal if you eat it because most people would just throw it out.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
What a weird topic.

It is a creamy type sauce, I would go to the next day if refrigerated maybe. Anything after that, I would chuck it. If it is already mixed with pasta, it is going to be pretty gross even the next day.

If it is just the sauce on its own with the chicken, it is still not a good idea to keep it too long and reheating chicken can be a bad idea sometimes.

Basically the chances that it is gross are pretty high and I would just make another batch or eat something else if I were you.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What on earth with people saying 2-3 days.

I've regularly made pasta with chicken and Alfredo sauce and have it refrigerated for the work week (so 5 days). Not every week mind you, but maybe one week in a month

I'd make it Sunday night and then eat it from Monday to Friday no problem.

I haven't tried it after 5 days cause I'd always finish it on Friday

Red

Oct 26, 2017
US recommendations:
www.foodsafety.gov

Cold Food Storage Chart

Follow these guidelines from FoodSafety.gov for storing food in the refrigerator and freezer to keep it tasty and safe to eat.

3-4 days in fridge.

Don't trust "if it has mold, it's bad." Mold doesn't just appear spontaneously. It grows. It starts out as not visible. Microbes are also accumulating on the food during this time. This feels like an obvious point but at least one person here said to rely on the appearance of visible mold to know if your food is ok to eat.

Stick to expert guidelines. In many cases, you would be ok waiting 1-2 days past those guidelines. Is that worth the risk? Maybe. But recognize the risk you're taking. Don't do this for shared meals. It's not fair to put others at risk so you can enjoy your week-old pasta.

You should adhere to guidelines more aggressively if you are part of an at-risk population. You don't want to undercook or eat too-old meat if you're a pregnant woman, due to the risk of Toxoplasmosis, for example.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
5-7 days. You're paying money to run a fridge 24/7 for a reason. It's so you don't have to throw food out after 3 days lol

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I'll eat anything if it passes the smell test and doesn't appear to be moldy or stale.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I don't know, everything I've read on the Internet in regards to many cooked meals is eat *insert meal here* 2-3 days or toss it. But my mom and grandma would keep stuff in the refrigerator for 7-10 days and it never caused anybody to get sick.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Most things are fine for 7 days if you refrigerate it. Smell it, taste a small bit, does it look fine? Turkey and such things like that are hard, but something like that would most likely have mold on it if it was bad.

Most of the time it's fine and you practically get a free meal if you eat it because most people would just throw it out.
Yeah 5-7 days is a safe bet for most cooked meat in the fridge.

It might not taste great after 3 days but it is going to be edible.

I would say you should try to finish it within 2 days max though if possible so it doesn't get wasted.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The "3 days" thing isn't a random number. It's a pretty standard food safety measure for most states. And it's not really the meat that's the problem. Cooked foods containing dairy products that are being re-chilled typically aren't kept for longer than 3 days. 5 days max.

Not saying that if you keep something for longer than that you're gonna die, but 3 days is a pretty standard answer to OP's question. But y'all do you. lol

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Depends on how long it was left out before being refrigerated. If you cooked it and put it in the fridge immediately, probably a week. If it was left out for a few hours first, I wouldn't give it more than 3-4 days