• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How many games do you finish a year?

• 0-25

Votes: 342 76.0%
  • 25-50

Votes: 78 17.3%
  • 50-75

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • 75-100

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 100+

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
although me and others are fringe cases with way too many games played and/or finished, I do find it funny people borderline shaming those that played "a lot" of games, and by "a lot" I mean posts like "LOL I BARELY FINISH 5 GAMES"

You know, 5 games at an average of what, 10 hours a game lets say, is 50 hours. 365 days a year would be 8760 hours, so thats less than 1% of your time playing videogames a year, is that correct? Is that what those posts are implying, that in a gaming forum, you really only spend around 0.7% of your time in a year playing videogames? Unless this is specifically cases where you play more games, but you don't finish any, which is weird in itself but ok.

Yeah lol A lot of people waste atleast 500 hours per year in some online game, which is sorta the time you waste to finish atleast 50 shorter (10 hours long, not that shorter) games.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I'm currently at 25 finished for the year (including each route of FE3H as its own game), I'll probably have ~30 done by the end of the year.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Zero to 25 is a, uh, pretty big range.

I've never counted, but this made me interested to count this year. I'd reckon about 20ish, but that includes jamming my way through retro games with modern accessibility features (like rewind and save states) and the handful of games that I know I will beat before the end of the year, like Link's Awakening and Sayonara Wild Hearts.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I think I've finished maybe around 15 since last September. Aside from work where I don't even do full-time hours, I have basically no commitments either so theoretically I could be ploughing through stuff. When it comes down to having the option to start something though, I just don't have the same motivation that I did when I was a teenager.

I've been enjoying more multiplayer games recently as well which obviously you don't "finish". Even with single-player games, I've been more excited about trying to get into endlessly replayable genres like strategy, racers and fighters of late, the kind of games I largely ignored until now.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
less than i buy. i dont like this because it doesn't address live service free games w/ no campaign

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
It depends. Am I currently playing WoW? If yes, 0-25. If no, 25-50. Over the past 5 years I've completed an average of 35 per year.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not really sure but this thread has inspired me to create a notepad file to log each title I complete. I'm guessing under 25 most of which are 20+ hours long.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I've been keeping track since 2017 - here are my stats:

2017 - 27
2018 - 20
2019 - 23 (so far)

I voted for 0 - 25 though. I mix it up between long games (50h+) and short games (8-12h, sometimes shorter. I'd like to get to about 36, though, but I haven't figured out how to pull that off. The people who post in (and manage to beat) the 52 game a year challenge are my inspiration but that seems like it's really hard to do unless you're doing a LOT of short games.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
2-3 if I'm lucky.

I've finished 2 games this year so far, and only one of them was a game I bought and started playing this year.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
It used to be very little. Then from last year I made efforts to get through my backlog. So last year I think I finished 19 games. This year I've been recording my progress and I've finished 18 so far.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Weird poll choices. I was expecting options like 0-5, 6-12, etc.

I probably only get around to finishing around 5 to 8 games all year long.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
0-3. Last year I only finished Spider-Man and God of War. This year, I've only finished the story for Mortal Kombat 11 to make sure I had a character unlocked and I basically skipped all the cut scenes. I'm towards the end of Mario Odyssey. Outside of that, I doubt I'll finish another game this year.

To be fair, I have time to play, but most of that time goes into the multiplayer component. I haven't had a Switch long, but Smash Ultimate has a good amount of hours already lol.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
These days probably 3-5 or 6. Back in the day probably 10-20. Don't have the same patience or time anymore, it's gotta hook me for me to finish it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finish for the first time? Maybe 10 or so.

I do a ton of replays though.

edit: For example, I'm on my third replay of Gears 5 already.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
My spreadsheet says I'm averaging 30-40 per year, not counting game I've completed before unless they're re-released (I do re-beat old games quite a bit). Top year was 2016, I did 80.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I dunno

BOTW

SM Odyssey
Dragon Quest Builders 1
Xenoblade 2
Xenoblade 2 Torna

Smash Ultimate
Pokemon Lets Go Eevee
No More Heroes Travis Strikes Back
Dark Souls

Most of my games have been 25 to +100 hr experiences. Currently playing Octopath Travelor and Dragon Quest Builders 2. Hoping to beat both by the end of the year. Got Xenoverse 2 and Doom I haven't finished.

I also have Darksiders 1, Final Fantasy X, X-10, and Splatoon 2 unopened. If I buy any more games this year, it will be Astral Chain. I'm gonna try and beat two games before buying a new one.

Last edited:

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Less than 5 at least.

"100+" haha!

Edit: Saying that I play games a lot, but tend to play older games and games that are played in a more ongoing capacity. Doing some daily quests in Guild Wars, a few deliveries in American Truck Simulator, a few races in Wreckfest, some exploring/base building in No Man's Sky. They are not really games you finish. So a poll like this can't really reflect that kind of gaming habit.

Last edited:

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Havent beaten any games in about two years to be honest.

Taking some time off from Uni after some stressful years...

Digging in to Fire Emblem tonight and hope to beat that by Links Awakening release, dig in to my backlog of switch games and get ready for POKEMON.

capybara-dive

Nov 1, 2017
I guess somewhere in the 5-10 range..

I play probably closer to 25, though. Something really has to hook me nowadays to get me to finish it.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
My last few years:

2017 (41)
Limbo
Mark of the Ninja
Inside
Slain
Pony Island
Metal Gear Rising
Salt & Sanctuary
Overcooked
RE7
Blacklist
Ryse
Odallus
Dead Space 3
The Banner Saga
Shadow Warrior
ABZU
Zelda BOTW
Horizon
Superhot
Prey
Dark Souls 3 DLC
Vanquish
Outlast 2
RE6
Nier
Ratchet
The Banner Saga 2
Hollow Knight
FFXV
Secret of Mana (replay)
Samu Returns
Layers of Fear
Oniken
Castlevania IV
ActRaiser
Evil Within
Destiny 2
Odyssey
Wolfenstein II
XBC2
Seiken Densetsu 3 (replay)

2018 (29)
Pyre
Little Nightmares
Yakuza 0
TEW2
Mystical Ninja
Viewtiful Joe 2
The Last Story
OwlBoy
Persona 5
God of War 2018
Cuphead
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Halo Wars 2
Hellblade
Simpsons Arcade
Tales of Berseria
Kirby Star Allies
Yakuza Kiwami
Detroit Become Human
Uncharted: TLL
Nioh
Shadow Warrior 2
Xenkblade 2 Torna DLC
Dragon Quest XI
FEAR
Skies of Arcadia
Paper Mario: TTYD
Sonic Mania
FFVII

2019 (23)
Spiderman
Smash Bros World of Light
Bayonetta
FFV
RE2
Kingdom Hearts
Star Fox Assault
DK '94 (replay)
Fire Emblem: PoR
Sekiro
DMC5
Wario Ware GCN
Fire Emblem: RD
Mega Man & Bass
DQXI Endgame
Goemon's Great Adventure
Dragon Quest VIII
Mega Man 11
Donut County
Amid Evil
Blazing Chrome
Mother 3
FE Three Houses

This is totally achievable with 1-2 hrs of gaming per day. I have a full time job, long commute, spouse and kid. All of this happens after bedtime.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
between 0 and 5. I play many different titles but hardly finish any of them. RL is too busy, but it's ok, I like experiencing a bit of everything. I stopped caring about the backlog a long time ago.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much people with lower game counts for the year also play online multiplayer stuff with any frequency. Like obviously not everyone would be like that because of free time, etc.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've kept a list of mine over the last few years, it's a mix of long rpgs and shorter indies as a general rule. I don't play anything online outside of Monster Hunter for a couple of months when a new one comes out.

2015- 31
2016- 11
2017- 13
2018- 13
2019 (so far)- 5

2016 was when my daughter was born :D

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
I used to average a decent amount each year, this year is probably only gonna be like 6-8 though by the years end. Only the plus side I'm beating everything I start, but yeah I'm going through games way slower these days. Played and beat Kingdom Hearts 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses Black Eagles Route, and Tales of Vesperia. Currently working on Astral Chain, still only on the 4th File.

Ohhh wait also add Kingdom Hearts 2 and BBS HD, I was playing the hell out of those over christmas and the new year so part of it bleeds over, but hey I did finish them in 2019!