• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Purchased vs Game Pass

• Purchased

Votes: 159 20.3%
  • Game Pass

Votes: 626 79.7%

• Total voters

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves players, have you bought the game or got it from the game pass? Is this the game that will push the game pass? Will you stay a GP subscriber even if you finish playing SoT?

Captain Shivers

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
GamePass.

Everybody I knew prior to Thieves who is now playing Thieves is doing so on some form of GamePass access (trial or subscription).

Oct 27, 2017
Was gonna subscribe to Gamepass to try it out (seemed like a better deal than buying the game straight up), but I've heard too many bad things about the game so I passed.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sea of Thieves players, have you bought the game or got it from the game pass? Is this the game that will push the game pass? Will you stay a GP subscriber even if you finish playing SoT?
Gamepass. I'm done buying games for good, gamepass/ Ea Access / Library is my jam from now going on.

edit. And since Playstation doesn't really have a system like it, I'm forced to loan games like God Of War and Spiderman from the library.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Been playing the game for like a year so I was expecting to be underwhelmed so I went Game Pass, I actually think I enjoy it more since I paid significantly less for it and it's like a service game.

hamarr

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not tecnically a player yet. I haven't been able to login to the game yet, but I am playing it through Games Pass. It didn't look like there would be enough content to jusitfy paying $60 to me.

Willkiller

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game pass, and thank god. I'm really enjoying it playing with friends, but it's incredibly thin on content and with a cosmetic only progression, had I bought it at full price I'd feel ripped off in the same way I did with No Man's Sky.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Game Pass. Between GP and EA Access, I'll still support some Indies and 3rd party heavy hitters but aside from that, won't be making many Day 1 purchases.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Both! I had it pre-ordered but I also have Game Pass. So I guess 'bought' is more correct. I have five other friends playing who all got it via Game Pass.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
GamePass trial. I plan on giving it a try tonight after work. Since AC Black Flag, I have been anxious for a pirate game. I'm just worried about the amount of content available, and I'm not comfortable paying $60 for the game yet. There are to many questions I have about it.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I canceled my cheap preorder and swapped for a cheap three years of Game Pass

The Xbox 1st party news and this got a shit load of mates on to GP.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Game Pass, they should of had a proper progression system to get people hooked past the first 2 weeks.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If I decide to try it i'll probably sub on Game Pass for a month and then unsub till SoD2.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Game Pass. Bought an XBOX primarily for Sea of Thieves last week and my goal is to not spend any money on software outside of Game Pass, as I'm already spending way too much on Switch and PS4 games.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Purchased.

Game Pass, they should of had a proper progression system to get people hooked past the first 2 weeks.
People are hooked with the mischief and emergent aspect. Progress through cosmetics (and ability) is much better then stat boost imo.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Got the gamepass, will keep for state of decay. But Sea of Thieves has been nothing short of a disappointment, should be free to play because the content is FF15 "side quest" levels of bad.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass as well, but then again I never had the intention of buying it like I did with Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I purchased the game outright, had it pre-ordered through Best Buy. I like to "own" my games physically.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a dumb question, but can you purchase game pass and use it via windows without an Xbox or is that impossible?

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I pay $60 when there's a two week trial and GP is $10?

Haven't tried it server gave errors after I got off last night

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
Oh it's on Game Pass? I bought a bunch of months in that discount price recently, I'll give it a look.

OP
OP
Nintendo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
GamePass trial. I plan on giving it a try tonight after work. Since AC Black Flag, I have been anxious for a pirate game. I'm just worried about the amount of content available, and I'm not comfortable paying $60 for the game yet. There are to many questions I have about it.

The same here. I might get AC Rogue Remastered if I don't like SoT.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I activated 14 days of free trial, will give it a try.
This. I'm really liking the game though as it seems to fit a lot of my tastes. People are saying it doesn't have much content, but as I understand it it seems to be in the way that DayZ (if it was actually finished) doesn't have much content.

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Game Pass.

Personally, I knew from the alpha/beta that I wouldn't get $60 worth of entertainment from SoT. $10 seems about right for the amount of time I'll spend on this. Just my opinion...

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
SoT pretty much sells itself once you play it imo, so I'd imagine lots of trials turning into subscriptions.

DontRaff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would buy the game when GamePass is an option, especially if you bought it digitally.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
I have game pass but bought sea of thieves.

Am I mad? No its just because its a game I can see playing for a long time