• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Purchased vs Game Pass

• Purchased

Votes: 159 20.3%
  • Game Pass

Votes: 626 79.7%

• Total voters

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is very little reason for me to buy games anymore. I mean, I haven't bought an album in 10 years, and the same goes with movies.

There is no reason to pay 60€ for something as consumable as video games.

Now I only need a Sony sub system, for exclusives and I'm good.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I had the physical edition on preorder, but I needed the money for other things, so I cancelled it (I still bought the Tales from the Sea of Thieves book, though, and I'll also be getting the art book). I used to prefer collecting physical editions of games, but it's becoming more and more pointless each day, especially for something like Sea of Thieves, and I'm not paying the inflated price for the digital version. I'll probably still buy it later, when it's discounted, but I have two free months of Game Pass, so I'm in no hurry.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I subbed to Game Pass and didn't think much of it.

I wasn't particularly excited to play the game, but $10 being spent to play a new release is basically painless.

Now imagine how effective the service will be when a big release like Halo 6 releases.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I have a month free on Wuntu so I'll be doing that. Kind of glad I haven't bought it as I'm having MS store issues atm.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Purchase because having a digital copy when there's a physical copy available just Doesn't Feel Right™ to me.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Game pass. That is not because I think the game is bad. It isn't. It's fantastic. But who can resist a deal like game pass? With it, Games with Gold, and EA access, gaming on Xbox is so cheap it blows my mind. [And when I want to get physical, I just use Best Buy's Gamers Club (mostly do that with the Switch tho.)]

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Game Pass. I fully support this subscription model and wish all the console makers had it.

If MS is smart with all the new users joining. Even with the trial. Put in Forza Horizon 3 in for next month

Well I guess Citi Skylines was their big one. But they could always add Forza Horizon 3 for people between State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 ;)

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I never expected the game to be met with such negativity, I mean, sure it looked shallow as hell, but didn't expect to see r/XboxOne so pissed at the game, they are calling it No Man's Sky 2.0 lol

how is Era feeling about it?

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Gamepass for sure. I bought a year of it when it was 5 bucks a month to get this, State of Decay and Crackdown for the cheap. I literally only own an Xbox to play exclusives and with this I can do that for less than a price of one game, and XBL Gold to supplement that? There's no contest.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Gamepass.

I'll probably only play this for a few weeks.

I'm more happy about having Cities Skylines.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I never expected the game to be met with such negativity, I mean, sure it looked shallow as hell, but didn't expect to see r/XboxOne so pissed at the game, they are calling it No Man's Sky 2.0 lol

Reddit Xbox One has always been 50/50 on the game even way before release. They game is just unique in its way and some people will hate it and some will love it.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Mind you, r/XboxOne was pissed at the game even before it came out, at least in the threads I saw.

It's a game that's going to be constantly updated, and being able to play it for the small price of a monthly Game Pass subscription, I see no reason to be upset.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass and I am pretty happy I didn't spend 60 on it.

Its a good game to have on gamepass since you can just check up on the game every now and then whenever they add some much more needed content.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass and I am pretty happy I didn't spend 60 on it.

Its a good game to have on gamepass since you can just check up on the game every now and then whenever they add some much more needed content.

Thats why everything the game does in way for free updates and horizontal progression and being in gamepass is great. If you decide i jump in in 3 months. Nothing is lost and you are not crazy underleveled and cant play with anybody or are missing a DLC pack.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see the results but I can't vote since I didn't do either. I don't have the ability to play but I'm interested in the effect it has on sales.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
A game about pirates and sailing was never going to appeal to a good portion of r/XboxOne's subscribers no matter how much content it had, so one has to take that subreddit's response for what it is. That doesn't mean all of the criticisms are illegitimate, but the more childish overreactions found there are best ignored.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I get GamePass for free(thanks Bing Rewards), so I didn't buy it initially, but assuming I'm still playing it in a few months, I'll definitely buy it for the 20% GamePass discount, because it's one I'll want in my collection.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game pass.

To me its blatantly obvious why they put it on game pass. If this game was a full price retail only, the backlash would hurt MS.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats why everything the game does in way for free updates and horizontal progression and being in gamepass is great. If you decide i jump in in 3 months. Nothing is lost and you are not crazy underleveled and cant play with anybody or are missing a DLC pack.
Something with game pass though is that they take games away after like 6 months or something

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
I've purchased but I'm beginning to regret it. Couldn't play it last night because of the server issues and I'm seeing A LOT of people complaining about the same things that I've complained during the beta - lack of content and repetitive stuff to do. It's a problem when the game has less than two days of being released and the audience already find it boring. I know the game might improve later, but right now I regret the purchase.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I had it preordered, but when they had the stackable $5 for a month of Game Pass deal it just made no sense to pay $60 for one game when I could pay $60 to get all the first-party games for a year. And in a year who knows how cheap it will be on the used market?

(Also for some reason Best Buy still sent me the exclusive pre-order coins despite me canceling ages ago so I basically got the best of both worlds OWAH)

Last edited:

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
Like 8 friends bought game pass to play sot and we are having a blast, but I can see how the game can get boring really fast playing alone. It's all about having silly fun with friends.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it on PC via Gamepass.

Honestly I'm loving having GP on PC and plan on staying subscribed to it

Dacham

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Game Pass. It helps that I share with my brother, so we'll just go halves on the cost. Can't really complain for that price, not to mention we've essentially got 4 months of it free thanks to having an X each which came with 1 month codes (+1 extra month if you turn on auto-renew, even if you disable it immediately.)

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I used my free month's Gamepass trial from buying my 1X. Wasn't sure if Sea of Thieves would be my type of thing and, based off a couple of hours with the game, it's not.

Seems like it'll be a whole lot of fun for multiplayer people though, who enjoy teaming up with their friends and stuff.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm going to have lots of fun with Sea of Thieves the coming months. Can't wait for the extra content. But for me as a PC player, buying it seems a clever thing to do. So I'll pick it up for the 20% discount or some other deal. Currently Gamepass on PC only offers 8 titles and some aren't even AAA-games.

The day Microsoft officially launches Gamepass on PC (Age of Empires 4?) I'm the first to pay for a whole year. I can add it to my Netflix and Spotify subs.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I did the $2 for 2 months trick. Once that's over I'll probably just buy the game, it's incredibly fun with friends and very relaxing when you're alone.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass, and I'll be keeping my subscription. I'll stick to GP for future MS first party titles. Maybe when the games are really cheap I'll buy physical versions.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Had game pass already so it didn't make sense to buy it.

Last edited: