• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tauntaun

Oct 27, 2017
4 only 4!!!,

years ago the side walks would be full of kids trick or treating. Its almost completely dead here in the GTA (Canada), its kinda sad really :/

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
My neighborhood has tons of kids. Just not many do trick or treating these days. May be some parallel to how neighborhood kids would go out on adventures and around the mid 1990s it stopped.

That is certainly a part of it and pretty much it I think. Halloween has always had it's neighborhoods, but it has changed.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
It was a little wet and cold here but I still got about 15 to 20. It was my first time passing out candy and I passed out too much out early on and ran out. The last two kids to come to my house got a bag of chips and some caramel popcorn that I hadn't opened because I would have felt bad not to give them anything.

toohectic

Oct 27, 2017
Activity started for my neighborhood about an hour ago. I've gotten on average 50+ kids each year over the last four years, but so far this year seems like it's off to a slow start. It doesn't seem like I'm going to come close to going through all my candy, so I've doubled or tripled the amount of candy that I'm giving to each trick-or-treater. Hopefully I don't get a big rush later this evening.

Feels like a far cry from my memories of the glory days of Halloween when I was younger.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
I think trick or treating has lost its appeal with kids these days. They rather stay in and play video games, watch Netflix or knee deep in their cell phones. Back in the day there wasn't anything interesting to do indoor so we go out and trick or treat.

It's more the parents.

A lot of fear about getting some piece of candy with a razer blade or pot or going to a house with a pedophile in it because of random isolated news stories that pop up every year, so they generally prefer to have parties with their friends kids instead where they can keep a closer control on the candy stash. I mean, no kid is going to turn down the mountain of candy we had growing up. There's just less door to door traffic.

But yeah, my doorbell rang 4 times all night, probably about 30 kids in total. To be fair, I don't really decorate or anything but like we were home, the lights weren't out. You just had to put in the basic amount of effort of ringing the bell and waiting 30 seconds.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I wish we could just move Halloween to the last Saturday of October and really push to make it big again.

Oct 27, 2017
About 10 groups of 3-4 kids per group on average. West Michigan area, first snowflakes this morning, chilly but not too bad during ToT time.

Kept telling the kids to take more but they were all too polite and modest. Dutchland!

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
zero in the last two years. we must have a bad reputation, haha. suits me. it was never crazy busy here where I live in the UK anyway.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe 20, it was weird but then I noticed like 90% of my street was not giving out candy

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lot more kids out here in LA than past few years.

My kid called it quits at 7:15!

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
We got about 15 kids...needless to say we've been handing out fistfuls of candy and we will still have way too much leftover.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only had to open the door roughly 5 times. Each time there were 2-3 kids. Going to be returning a couple bags of candy back to the store tomorrow.

BraiM

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody comes here, sadly, since we're gated in. That's two Halloweens in a row where they refused to open the gates. Even worse, someone from INSIDE the gate was putting up racist white propaganda posters. What a time to be alive.

Oct 28, 2017
Enough where I ran out of candy. Twice. I keep it lit with a strobe light and spooky sounds blaring. Gave the kids an old school Halloween. They were terrified.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Zero. Pretty disappointed.

My wife and I never had any trick-or-treaters during our three years in an apartment, and this was our first year in a town house. There's a good bit of kids around here, too, so we were surprised and a bit let down.

O'discordia

Oct 29, 2017
None because it freakin' snowed! I didn't even get the usual teenager. (I'll give candy to anyone who knocks.)

Kayma

Oct 26, 2017
Where we used to live, we'd get zero unless we sat on the porch with the goods, then we'd get 30-50.

In our new place, only 5! Really disappointed.

MisterF

Oct 29, 2017
In a city so not a lot of standalone homes. However was at a bar and it got busy with trick or treaters. I was only there for an hour and saw about 8 come by.

AngelL0ls

Oct 28, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Live in New Zealand so it's not really something that gets much celebration around here anyway.
Live in a suburb down a quiet street thats about 5 ish minutes walk from a small school... got 0 kids this year.

Not that it mattered anyway as I didn't have any candy to give, after last year and hearing all the spoiled kids swearing and throwing rocks at people who didn't give candy I feel kinda relieved

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
None.

I'm actually stunned, considering my house is located in a massive suburb, with 2 highschools and a middle-school nearby.

The number of people showing up every year has been declining considerably, but the fact that it actually reached zero caught me off-guard.

Located in the Greater Toronto Area.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I thought it was common knowledge that if you don't want trick or Treaters, you don't turn on your porch light? We hit 10+ homes with porch lights on, but no one answering

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Zero so far. Trick r treating has been dying around these parts in the last few years. I'm wondering if the dodger game is contributing to this extra quiet evening.

Funny enough, same situation in Houston. I was born in Iowa and lived there for the first 9 years of my life, we definitely had the cliche midwest Halloweens that you would see in something like... Halloween. Neighborhoods were always busy. My family moved to Houston in '99 and I feel like it was just never really a thing. We would always get a few trick or treaters the first few years, but most families (especially after 9/11) would just take their kids to malls or churches to get their candy fix. Always disappointed me because Halloween is my favorite holiday and trick or treating at a mall just isn't the same.

Deleted member 9929

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in a small apartment complex so no trick or treaters despite the bowser jack-o-lantern. More candy for me :)