• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty lucky where I work, and as long as I give enough notice I can take as much as I want (within reason obviously). I think last year I ended up taking around 4 weeks of vacation, but I'm sure I could have taken more if I wanted to.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
15 days. How much did I take this year? 1 day lol.

Similar situation here.
Despite getting a measly two weeks, I've only taken 2 PTO days this year...
Hell, this is the first year I haven't even needed a sick day in a long, long time.
Of course, this means I'm gonna have to take some time since I can only roll over 40 hours on my hire date (Sept).
Thankfully, my family is planning a Vegas extravaganza next year and I'm blowing all that time then.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
about 26 days plus UK public holidays (8 days) plus about 3 days for the non public holidays between Christmas and New Year when we're shut. Where I work gives you an extra day for every year you're at the company so I'll get 27 days next year. I can roll unused days into the first few months of next year's allocation (starting in April).

when I lived in Australia, It was the standard 20 days a year (though they have a few extra public holidays there). Though I was able to cash in unused days occasionally.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
10 in total. 2 weeks during the Christmas holiday and about 7-8 weeks during summer. Swedish high school teacher.
Edit: plus another two weeks in the spring lol.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I get about 22 days of PTO (accrued per pay period), 6 holidays, and 4 flex holidays which can be used to my discretion. So that's what, 6.5 weeks IF I wanted to use all of my PTO after I've accrued my annual max.

Last edited:

herbchamberz

Oct 27, 2017
USA. 22 days. Got the option to sell back some of the days, but for the most part it's use em or lose em. You best BELIEVE I GO HARD USING MY PTO.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
23 days + 8 can be rolled over from previous year + 12 standard holidays.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Weeks? Plural?

I worked at Taco Bell for nearly 9 years. The maximum vacation time available was 1 week. We were only eligible if we had worked there for over a year, and only if we'd worked over 35 hours a week on average for the duration of that year.

The company would deliberately cut our hours occasionally to keep our averages below that threshold of eligibility. Unless the store is very, extremely, severely understaffed, they would also go to great lengths to prevent anyone from meeting or exceeding 40 hours a week, ever. Managers insisting that employees work off the clock was very common, and there were times that I endured reduced hours or other retaliation for refusing to do so.

I think in the past decade I've had a total of 3 weeks paid vacation from work. By contrast, in that same decade, I've spent a total of over 4 months homeless...because that's how you afford a down-payment on an apartment when you make $8/hr.

Tell me again how fast food employees are lazy. You gotta be a fucking beast of perseverance to make a living in this industry.

Pretty sure I'm so resilient at this point, my patronus is a tardigrade, lol.

Last edited:

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
You don't see it as much anymore, but some people think it's a badge of honor by NOT using their days off. I literally have laughed at people who have that mindset.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it normal to have 2 weeks of paid vacation and 96 hours of PTO such as sick leave, personal time, etc for first year in a career?

And the PTO being used is frowed upon and will negatively impact revies and bonuses. Flex is encouraged more

I feel like I am burning out like crazy here.

Orzix

Oct 30, 2017
Started at 3 weeks so 15 day a year but now i'm at 20 day a year(4weeks). But I also have a time bank of 120 hours that is always full because of on-call time. So total with that is 7 weeks or 35 day of vacation if i empty everything. We also have unlimited sick leaves so that's pretty nice , unless its 3 days or more no proof needed like doctors note or something.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Officially, 5 weeks.
Unofficially, no one cares how many days you take off as long as your work is done and you're not blatant about gaming the system.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
3 weeks paid vacation plus 4 paid personal days.

In 2 more years I'll have 4 weeks paid vacation.
In 12 more years I'll have 5 weeks paid vacation and that's were I max out.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
10 days.

Edit: Correction, my studio is also closed for a winter break, so I get an additional 6 days off then. 16 in total.

Last edited:

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I've been with my company long enough that I could have gotten pregnant, had a child, and the child could be working here now. So I get 22 paid vacation days (which is max here), 6 paid holidays (which I don't get paid if I have unnapproved time off the day before), 1 bonus holiday on my birthday, 6 sick days a year (I get written up if I take too many without preapproval). Not bad for a US office job.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
22 days or about 4.5 weeks off, though I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and am going to 0 PTO, but it comes with a fairly large pay increase and I get two weeks after a year. More if I can transition directly into a FT position.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Four weeks of vacation, 5 personal days and one floating stat...so 26 days in total.

A certain number of days roll over to the next year but they do not pay any out.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
34 (UK) including 8 annual Bank Holidays

26 excluding Bank Holidays

I'm paid monthly and work Monday to Friday so it effectively gives me 5 weeks off paid per year plus bank holidays (e.g. Easter, may day, Christmas etc)

Sick days don't come out of your time off if it's just 1-2 days. You can't keep time off though you have to take it all every year or you lose it

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
15 days then some sick time (6 days) and 2 personal holidays on top of 6ish federal ones.

Last edited:

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
My current job (UK)
6 weeks paid vacation
6 months paid sick leave (if needed)
5 days paid personal family time (again if needed)
Annually

These USA holiday entitlements are awful. Work to live folks! Don't live to work.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Weeks? Plural?

I worked at Taco Bell for nearly 9 years. The maximum vacation time available was 1 week. We were only eligible if we had worked there for over a year, and only if we'd worked over 35 hours a week on average for the duration of that year.

The company would deliberately cut our hours occasionally to keep our averages below that threshold of eligibility. Unless the store is very, extremely, severely understaffed, they would also go to great lengths to prevent anyone from meeting or exceeding 40 hours a week, ever. Managers insisting that employees work off the clock was very common, and there were times that I endured reduced hours or other retaliation for refusing to do so.

I think in the past decade I've had a total of 3 weeks paid vacation from work. By contrast, in that same decade, I've spent a total of over 4 months homeless...because that's how you afford a down-payment on an apartment when you make $8/hr.

Tell me again how fast food employees are lazy. You gotta be a fucking beast of perseverance to make a living in this industry.

Pretty sure I'm so resilient at this point, my patronus is a tardigrade, lol.

I don't mean to come at you, but why not warehouse work at worst? Or something like Costco or Chick Fil a or the Post Office or something like that my guy?

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zero. Either have to wait for a lay off period or just set it up well ahead and hopefully not lose my job when it turns out when the date arrived that the timing doesn't work for them.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
About 5 weeks including "discretionary" days off, but then I've been with the company for over 10 years.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
a week of paid vacation, 2 days PTO, 2 days sick leave. I get two weeks paid vacation starting in 2019.

USA.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I get three weeks of paid vacation (120 hours; can carry over up to 120 hours per year), ten paid holidays, two floating holidays, and two weeks of sick time.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
10 days vacation.
5 personal days to flex.
Most federal holidays.

I'm fairly content.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I got 66 hours when I started this year (it's proportional to when in the year you start). Apparently its 120 from the second year on.

EDIT: I just realized I have no idea if I get sick days at all.
Unlimited PTO policy
So you can just not work at all?

Or is it more along the lines that you'll be fired after passing some sort of grey area?

Last edited:

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
160 hours so 4 weeks, 1 floating holidays, and 6 personal days, 20 hours of which can roll over into the next year. Vacation paid out when u leave the job.

Edit: USA

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I take four weeks every year but only two are paid. I elect to take the other two as unpaid because sometimes I need a fucking break.